Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:02 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times

Advertisements

wow, this board has gotten incredibly, strangely angry in the past few days. I never called myself a pensioner. lol that was the review.

Sorry Jenkay, I don't think I ignored what the OP was asking for. I gave my opinion which is apparently different than yours.

As for my "vast experience" I visited the area long before I moved here. The OP is a tourist, not looking for neighborhoods to move. I think I can relate to women in my age range looking for a fun weekend.

Lighten up people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 02:11 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
and as a resident of an area I actually live in and have spent a considerable amount of time in--including with plenty of women the OP's age as well as older and younger--I think I am more than qualified to report on the makeup and activities of the area, as has Jenkay. Futhermore, I did provide a number of specific places for them to check out IF they do decide to visit the Gaslamp area but suggested they keep in mind v. their expectations.

Reminds me of a discussion I got in with a few on Tripadvisor last month in response to a post entitled, "20 Something looking for Exciting Nightlife" and some posters had Coronado at the top of their list....that one still has me rolling my eyeballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
wow, this board has gotten incredibly, strangely angry in the past few days. I never called myself a pensioner. lol that was the review.

Sorry Jenkay, I don't think I ignored what the OP was asking for. I gave my opinion which is apparently different than yours.

As for my "vast experience" I visited the area long before I moved here. The OP is a tourist, not looking for neighborhoods to move. I think I can relate to women in my age range looking for a fun weekend.

Lighten up people.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:16 PM

When are you moving to Miami? Your disdain and depression about the area is becoming contagious.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:25 PM

I assure you, if any contagiousness existed, it existed prior to me and I picked it up from others....I did, however, provide some good (i.e. positive) recs for Del Mar, La Jolla, Encinitas, Rancho Santa Fe, and even downtown for yours and others reference for which I received a thumbs up today and a thanks from another poster yesterday for my tip on Supernatural Sandwiches in Mira Mesa--so not all is bad I call it the way I see it...never going to tell someone manure smells like a rose garden (though it does grow the best roses).

Last edited by elchevere; 04-09-2014 at 02:38 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 02:40 PM

whatever you say -- I didn't come here to argue with you or anyone, just offered my opinion to the OP. I'm sorry if others have a difference of opinion lol. It's all subjective.

Have a great trip, OP.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:43 PM

thanks for the complimentary psychological evaluation, well wishes, and different opinion--you're much too kind.

And, for the record, I am one of 6 Destination Experts for San Diego selected by Tripadvisor for my useful contributions and an Elite Yelper, as recommended by others who read my candid posts, tips, and appreciate them. I did not ask for these designations; rather, they were bestowed upon me by others--so the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about or only rag on SD is complete and utter nonsense.

OP--agree. have a good trip...you have been supplied with numerous options. Best to do your search on other sites as well

Last edited by elchevere; 04-09-2014 at 03:42 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 02:53 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:

Lighten up people.
I came across as angry?

Old 04-09-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I came across as angry?
yeah, a little judgemental yeah, as if I was intentionally ignoring what she was looking for, we simply disagree.

Thanks.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:21 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
yeah, a little judgemental yeah, as if I was intentionally ignoring what she was looking for, we simply disagree.

Thanks.
I never said you were intentionally ignoring what she was looking for. I just meant that people don't seem to take that into consideration sometimes, and this seemed like one of those times. People can get really enthused about certain things and just not realize that they don't suit everyone or every situation. Nothing wrong with being enthusiastic, right? I have to admit the stereotypical assumption (from anyone, not just you) that all single women are always out hunting for a man is a little bit vexing, though

Old 04-09-2014, 03:36 PM

oh I agree....that's why I don't think it matters too much if there is "husband material" downtown. The marina is pretty, there are some really nice hotels with business travelers (not 20 year olds) and there is a walkable area for bars/restaurants (which to me is pretty important in a vacation lol, at least for one night). Even if they meet a bunch of d-bags (which I doubt, if they just avoid the places with long lines, peppered mostly with booty shorts -- clubs basically -- I would have also recommend Seersucker) it doesn't really matter, it should be fun.

That's why I say I'd spend at least a night there in a nice hotel, but see the beach areas too, maybe another night or two elsewhere depending on what their preferences are (beach? drinking? pool?)

I also find it a bit vexing when 40 year olds are pointed to where the rich old men must be hanging out they are not exactly OLD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego