Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 12:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,945 times

Advertisements

I know there's been a few similar posts about this but they are all different from what I'm really trying to figure out. :/

First off.. I'll be moving to SD this summer and I most likely will not be able to have a job lined up. So my plan is to have at least 3 months of expenses saved and get the first job that comes my way.
So my question is.. How bad is the job market overall? For everyday jobs like waitressing/retail/etc..

More specifically.. (After I found a job to get some money coming in) would it be even harder to find a professional job? (How long would it take, etc.)

I have a bachelors degree in criminal justice and one year experience in a correctional facility. Also, I have three years as an assistant.
(& I have been applying plenty of places but I either will not get a call back, or if I do, it's "are you still out of state?... Oh, well call us when you get here.")
Any insight or advice would be appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 08:52 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
Its not as good as DC/NY/LA but not anywhere near as bad as the flyover states. It's just "OK" if that helps you any.

It definitely helps to be in state to get call backs for interviews

Old 05-19-2014, 04:10 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
Its not as good as DC/NY/LA but not anywhere near as bad as the flyover states... ...
Not true at all:

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 05-20-2014, 03:10 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,062 times
Do you have experience as a waitress/retail/etc? SD is filled with college grads who work in malls, at bars, restaurants and more. Some people can't find jobs, others refuse to grow up, but if you are moving to SD with no real strategy or professional goal, it's a tough place to find work. Many people want to move to SD. And many people apply to be waitresses, bartenders, etc. What makes you an attractive candidate for these types of jobs?

I dont understand your overall goal. You want to find some waitress or mall job, but you want to find a professional job down the line. You have a degree in CJ, some experience at a correctional facility, etc. What are your plans? There are some Prisons and Correctional facilities out this way, but you'd be living far from SD.

I guess what I'm asking is what are your plans? If you are trying to get experience in whatever career you are trying to get into, why move to SD to become a waitress?

Old 05-20-2014, 03:59 PM

129 posts, read 226,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
Do you have experience as a waitress/retail/etc? SD is filled with college grads who work in malls, at bars, restaurants and more. Some people can't find jobs, others refuse to grow up, but if you are moving to SD with no real strategy or professional goal, it's a tough place to find work. Many people want to move to SD. And many people apply to be waitresses, bartenders, etc. What makes you an attractive candidate for these types of jobs?

I dont understand your overall goal. You want to find some waitress or mall job, but you want to find a professional job down the line. You have a degree in CJ, some experience at a correctional facility, etc. What are your plans? There are some Prisons and Correctional facilities out this way, but you'd be living far from SD.

I guess what I'm asking is what are your plans? If you are trying to get experience in whatever career you are trying to get into, why move to SD to become a waitress?
The OP wants to come out and get something temporary (waitressing, bartending, retail) so he/she can start some income rolling in.

"So my plan is to have at least 3 months of expenses saved and get the first job that comes my way."

Then while here in SD the OP wants to continue hunting/interviewing for something closer to their desired career path... in a nutshell.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:19 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
What do you call three months worth of expenses?

Old 05-20-2014, 11:59 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
The OP wants to come out and get something temporary (waitressing, bartending, retail) so he/she can start some income rolling in.

"So my plan is to have at least 3 months of expenses saved and get the first job that comes my way."

Then while here in SD the OP wants to continue hunting/interviewing for something closer to their desired career path... in a nutshell.
It makes no sense to move to San Diego, find any job(waitress at Denny's lets say), and then think they will find their dream career job shortly thereafter. So what happens if they are still a waitress at Denny's 2 years later?

What is the reason to move to San Diego? It's a great place, but it still makes no sense to just move here with nothing (3 months of expenses probably covers their first month and security deposit), with no real job prospects.

Are you looking to stay in CJ? Are you looking to work at a Prison? Are you just looking to party in SD and leave after a year or two?

It makes no sense because it's like somebody with a Computer Science Degree or Accounting Degree moving far from home and thinking, "hey i'll just get some minimum wage job" at Walmart or Denny's and hope to find my career job later. Nobody who is actually looking for a job in their career path and/or related to their major would do that unless they didn't really want to "grow up" yet. There are a lot of those people in SD. Good for them, but far different than somebody looking to get experience in their career.

The smart choice is to find a job related to your career wherever, and get experience and make money. And then after you get experience and make money, figure on moving to SD if you still want to. Having nothing to offer a future employer except "i worked at walmart as a cashier" isn't exactly impressive on a resume.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,945 times
Thank you everyone for responding!

As far as "3 months of expenses." This would include:
the cost to register my car in CA
get my CA license
3 months of the average cost of a room (around $700/mnth)
Security deposit for a room (another months rent)
Gas money for the 3 months (which I know will be a lot due to job hunting)
Food cost
Car insurance/car payment
School loans
Etc.

As far as to why I would want a minimum wage job.. This would be so I could have some cash flowing in as soon as I get there. That way I wouldn't have to solely rely on my savings.
I'm not looking for a min wage job to keep. However, I know it will be unlikely that I will get hired from so far out of state (I do not have a high demand/specialized degree)... Although of course I have been applying continuously. I have four years experience as a waitress, plus my more professional job experience.
I would continue to apply for jobs I'm interested in while applying for lower level jobs also. Eventually, I'd like to work with juveniles (social worker, etc.)

Sorry if this seems scattered, just trying to get what I'm trying to say to make sense to you guys! Lol
I appreciate all the responses and any more info would be great!

Old 05-21-2014, 02:36 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
You're going to need double that, because even minimum wage jobs are hard to get. I have two part-time jobs that I supplement my Social Security with, and I'm looking for more part-time work. I have co-workers that have 7 & 8 just above minimum wage part-time jobs.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:14 PM

210 posts, read 412,024 times
Lyft.com

Set your own hours. In San Diego, you get 100% of the fare right now... they're trying to get more drivers in area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: