Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,648 times

Advertisements

We are planning to buy a house on Adolphia/Pipilo street (92129) and the house has a huge lot in the backyard up a slope. At the end of the upward slope of 200ft there is another house. We are concerned about finding rattle snakes or coyotes in the backyard. Does anyone in living in around this area have any experience with that ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 07:49 PM

11 posts, read 14,820 times
I live in Sabre Springs, not too far from PQ and we live near several open spaces. I've seen only one garter snake and one coyote in the past five years. Every few months we will hear coyotes late at night yapping away after they've captured their prey.

Does the house you're buying have a fence to keep out wildlife? If so, I don't think it is a real safety concern. Even if the house doesn't have a fence, I don't think it is much of a concern. Coyotes tend to avoid people (even though they live all around us).

Old 08-14-2014, 08:52 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieQanderson View Post
... Coyotes tend to avoid people (even though they live all around us).
Rattlesnakes avoid people whenever they can, too. The few instances of rattlesnake bites are almost always people/animals who inadvertently put themselves in the direct path of the rattlesnake.

I wouldn't worry about it, except if you have a dog you might want to look into rattlesnake vaccination or adversion training.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:26 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Coyotes jump fences, as easily as cats. Never leave food or water out, or an unlidded trash can. Coyotes tend to shy away from people, but we catch their pics on an outdoor cam all the time. Usually middle of the night to sun up.
Cats should be indoor only and never leave a small dog outdoors on it's own.
Rattlesnake vaccine for dogs is a great idea. It is not 100% guarantee! should the dog be bitten! but will certainly help the chances of survival. We do it once a year...every 6 months if we are seeing frequent sightings.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,648 times
Thanks everyone for your response. That gives me some confidence.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:02 AM

70 posts, read 128,004 times
I had a friend who lived on that street for about 3 years and never had a problem. Nice street.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:08 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
They coyotes won't bother you though they will eat any cats you leave out over night while the snakes are worth watching out for but honestly they want nothing to do with you. Venom is a valuable thing to them as that's how they eat so the last thing a snake wants to do is bite you as you're too big to eat.

Just be aware of where you put your hands and feet and try not to place them any where without giving a brief glance around first. Do that and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: