Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 12:39 AM

26 posts, read 32,422 times

Advertisements

Hi all-
I'm once again hoping to move to SD (last year I got very close but had a family issue come up that delayed my move). I have a possible apartment and a job in line. I'm looking for local perspective on the neighborhood I'm potentially moving to: 4000 (ish) 35th street, 92116. Thoughts? Is it safe? I'm a late 20-something female, and I'll be living alone (except for a large dog).

Thanks so much for your input! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 07:16 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
So, the 4000ish block could be north of El Cajon Boulevard in Normal Heights, or south of El Cajon Boulevard in a western City Heights, but 92116 places you in Normal Heights.

Normal Heights is an up-and-coming, vibrant neighborhood. You will thoroughly enjoy Adams Avenue. The walkability, dining, bars, food trucks, the proximity to a supermarket (Vons), the unusual, independent shops, access to Car2Go and transit, either the #11 bus on Adams or the Rapid Bus on El Cajon Boulevard. And to top it off, Normal Heights is an older neighborhood that actually has a park! What a concept.

The downsides are the poor street lighting in the area. As a responsible woman alone, you will not be walking the neighborhood streets far and wide late at night, but the early evening is fine, before 9pm in the summer, and before 8pm in the winter. However, there are not hoodlums hanging out on the street corner or anything like that. You just need to take the usual precautions of a woman alone in an urban environment. 35th Street has better lighting which will provide you a safe route to Adams Avenue, and Adams Avenue is fine well into the late evening.

Another downside is a universal part of living in an apartment in a lower income area. You can't choose your neighbors, and building management may not be all that it could be. You will have loud neighbors, not so clean neighbors, trashy dumpsters that aren't as clean as they should be and in late summer they will have flies. Even if your apartment complex is well run, there will be negative effects from other apartments.

Regarding the apartment that you are looking at, walk the perimeter and alley behind the building, check that it has a laundry room, ask specifically about your parking spot. If you have a car that is regularly parked outside, and if you live there enough years, someday it will be broken into. Accept that it will happen eventually. Air conditioning - you are far from a canyon so you will not have natural ventilation. August and September will be hot, sticky months without A/C.

Bottom line, I think you will find much to enjoy about Normal Heights. How much you like living there will probably depend on the quality of your apartment, and the quality of your apartment management.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:36 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Also, keep in mind that your large dog may be a problem.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:17 AM

Another downside is a universal part of living in an apartment in a lower income area. You can't choose your neighbors, and building management may not be all that it could be. You will have loud neighbors, not so clean neighbors, trashy dumpsters that aren't as clean as they should be and in late summer they will have flies. Even if your apartment complex is well run, there will be negative effects from other apartments.

This is all true. Your neighbors will probably party into the night, and the dumpsters will be never be cleaned, and continually full of trash dumped by people that don't live in your complex. It'll be full before trash pickup day, in fact, as soon as it's emptied, it'll be full the same day. I had all of this when I lived in City Heights.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:09 AM

Thank you so much for such thoughtful answers! I really appreciate it. And yes, it's good to have the reminder to use common sense when out alone...Any suggestions on keeping one's car safe? (Without a very expensive alarm that is)

Old 08-17-2014, 10:43 AM

I lived in City Heights right off of El Cajon Blvd for 5 1/2 year. I never had my cottage nor my van broken into, or anything stolen from either of them. The exception to that was the manager of the complex where I lived. One of his pastimes was stealing items from outside a tenant's cottage, or killing their plants with roundup.

I'm a single female, sometimes work at night, and came in at all hours of the night, and never had a problem. But then again, I'm not paranoid.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:57 PM

I appreciate your input. I think it's good to be aware, as long as it's in check. I'm hopeful this place works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego