Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times

Advertisements

So which restaurants in San Diego do you folks think have the best sandwiches? I noticed that Zagat has a list of what they consider the nine best sandwiches in the city. Their list includes the Dapper Dipper at Rubicon Deli, the Aphrodite at Supernatural Sandwiches, the C.B.G.B at Lefty's, the Chicken Tawook at Alforon, The Grilled Pork at K's Sandwiches, the lamb shwarma at the Kabob Shop, the Avocado Highway at The Big Front Door (BFD), the Triple Threat at Carnitas Snack Shack, and finally the Ruben at D.Z. Akin's.

San Diego's 9 Best Sandwiches | sandwiches - Zagat

This is the 2013 "A List" best of San Diego list of top five sandwich shops. I do like A List because they try very hard to ferret out little known places and don't nominate places simply because they're long time favorites and instead really do try hard to judge places based upon the quality of the food. The named the top five as The Hungry Bear Sub Shop in Escondido, Lit'l Pepper of Miramar, Board & Brew in Del Mar, Devine Pastabilities on Midway, The District on Market St.

Sandwich Shop - San Diego area Top 5 - 2013 San Diego A-List

I have to say when it comes to sea food sandwiches there simply isn't a better restaurant out there than Supernatural Sandwiches on Miramar Road. We're talking truly iconic sandwiches of San Diego.

So which sandwich shops are tops in your book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 PM

I'd imagine Mona Lisa Deli has to make the list too. They're by far the best Italian Deli in town and they have an astonishing selection of cured meats and cheeses to choose from. I'd bet if they opened up a place in Manhattan they'd survive just fine because they're just that good.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
was a big fan of Supernatural Sandwiches when they were based in Barrio Logan but they have since relocated to Mira Mesa which, unfortunately, is a bit of a drive just for lunch for me...great sandwiches, though, and I miss this place.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:26 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
was a big fan of Supernatural Sandwiches when they were based in Barrio Logan but they have since relocated to Mira Mesa which, unfortunately, is a bit of a drive just for lunch for me...great sandwiches, though, and I miss this place.
^ they're just ok. the bread is weak.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:09 AM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
My personal favorite is the rueben and pastrami sandwiches at Vic's La Fiesta Deli and Liquor Store right next to McGregor's pub. This guy might not ever be on any list because he is running his deli from his liquor store and he doesn't care about smoking a cigarette indoors as he makes your sandwich BUT GEEZE this guy's sandwiches are the bomb, no one does it better. The best East Coast pastrami sandwich (Italian bread with the works) foot long and a tall 16oz coke for $9 dlls. Although they are just as close to my work, I will never go to Capriotti's, Subway, or Jersey Mikes again.

Vics La Fiesta Liquor/Deli

In second place in my book is the Grilled Pork Bahn Mi Vietnamese sandwich with extra meat at K SANDWICH in Clairemont by Mesa College. It comes on a baguette with grilles pork, cilantro, jalapenos, mayonnaise, and pickled carrot/daikon. It is a great sandwich and much like Vics their drink selection is extensive. They even have Big Red and RC Cola in a can for my Texas taste or you can have one of their specialty drinks. The sandwiches are consistently good and you can even go and just buy their baguettes.

K Sandwich

New York on Rye food truck comes to our office every so often. They pretty good as well and I reccomend their rueben as well as a roast beef sandwich they call THE BEAST

NY On Rye

I have yet to find a torta place in San Diego to rave about.

Last edited by malcorub16; 08-27-2014 at 02:05 AM..

Old 08-27-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
^ they're just ok. the bread is weak.
Huh? They get bread baked fresh three times a day from Bread and Cie. The bread is a high point.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I have yet to find a Torta place in San Diego to rave about.
There are 4-5 places which started out in TJ but the owners moved north of the border because organized crime in TJ kept trying to shake them down for protection money. For the good but non-authentic try the nonconventional Cuban Torta at Torta and Beer in Hillcrest. The Reader recently reviewed them in their Best Sandwiches of the World collumn and the reader sounded pretty impressed. I haven't tried it myself yet though.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post

I have yet to find a torta place in San Diego to rave about.
Have you tried La Torta Cafe in Downtown La Mesa.
http://www.latorta.com/

I like "The Grove Grinder" in Lemon Grove, not the best but really big sandwiches.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
A tiny shop in Rolando called BMT was great for a short while, but think it changed hands and went a bit downhill.

But its hard to sum up. I am not big on sandwiches. Prefer subs and there arent many around that make proper subs. Many of the shops just give the option for bread type.

This little hole in the wall on Harbor Island made great subs (havent been in a while) called Papanani's. For anyone from Jersey, they actually service Pork Roll sandwiches (taylor ham.)

IMHO, any sandwich maker that has the pride to buy quality provisions for their sandwiches like Boar's Head typically doesnt disappoint.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:13 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Huh? They get bread baked fresh three times a day from Bread and Cie. The bread is a high point.
They used a kind of white bread. Something more substantial would have been better.
K sandwich is good.
Which wich is good enough, fwiw.
My wife like the tortas from a food cart in TJ: tortas washmobile. I thought the meat was too charcoal charred tasting.
If you're in Chicago, Rick Bayless makes great tortas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego