Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,860 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

My family is looking at moving to SD and I need some ideas of where to live. We are a professional couple with a toddler and a cat. We are originally from the UK but have family and friends in SD.

One of us could potentially be working at UCSD and think our budget would be about $1500 a month in rent (obviously happy with a one bed). We don't need anything fancy but a nice family orientated neighborhood would be nice. We don't mind being north or east - something like Carlsbad would be ideal but obviously too pricey for us.

Any ideas?

What is Tierrasanta like? Or Rancho Penasquitos? Or San Marcos?

I know we could always go more central SD and be fine like North Park or Gaslamp but I was really hoping to get into a family orientated area first off.

Thanks in advance! Hope I gave enough details!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 11:33 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
Tierrasanta, RP and San Marcos are all very similar, just different home styles, ages, etc. They are all suburban tract home type areas in the typical southern CA style, safe, usually good schools. Would not recommend north park or downtown for a family with kids, especially not downtown.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:56 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo375 View Post
One of us could potentially be working at UCSD and think our budget would be about $1500 a month in rent (obviously happy with a one bed).
This is very low for a family with child in San Diego. You are going to be limited by both neighborhood and by property selection. Scratch off just about every neighborhood on or near the coast, and even the places you mentioned, it's going to be very tight. Maybe a rental in Chula Vista or El Cajon will work.

I hope the move works out, but as I often tell people looking to move to San Diego: Southern California is one of the worst places for young families, from an economic point of view. Absurd real estate prices. Highest state income tax rates in the nation. One of the highest sales taxes in the nation. Highest gasoline tax in the nation. California is desperate for money, and they'll be taking it out of your wallet. The money you pay in state income taxes alone could go a long way towards a healthy college fund for your child. So why come here and forfeit your money to California politicians? Many young families have simply said, "no," and have moved the heck out of here. I don't own a home here for precisely this reason, and once I close a few more deals, I'll be buying homes in Florida and Washington (both zero income tax states). If I want San Diego, I'll come and visit, and sleep very well knowing my investments are paying me, not stupid Sacramento.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,860 times
I know where you're coming from USDefault and I understand but it's actually not as bad as people make out. I am from London originally and have just been living in Bermuda and I can tell you both of those places are a lot more expensive than SD. $6 for a loaf of bread in Bermuda anyone?

The reason we will move to SD is because of our personal ties. If my family were in Missouri I would move there! I'm not bothered. But as our first move to the states we want to have a support network in place.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:12 AM

70 posts, read 128,024 times
if you plan to work at UCSD you can live in UTC near the mall. There are a lot of rentals for students there but there are also a lot of transplants who are working at UCSD (usually PhD or lab workers with family and kids). You can find a 1 br for $1500 there.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:16 PM

9 posts, read 11,426 times
I work near UCSD and I'm also new to San Diego. This is my first year here (moved from Missouri where everything is half the price). Everyone discouraged me to move here, but I love it so far.

My husband and I found a cute, small one bedroom apartment in Bankers Hill for $950/month. Everyone tells us that its a steal because most property here rents between $2,500 and $3,000. The trick is WHEN you move and how you apartment hunt. Moving in the fall/winter is better than coming in summer (according to some people we've met here). I've watched rent prices plummet on Craigslist from June (when we moved here) to October. Don't just use Craigslist and the internet. Drive around the neighborhoods you like and you'll see hand-made signs that say "for rent" in a bunch of windows and yards. Call those numbers. Many landlords don't even need to use the internet to get tenants. That's how we found our place.

The neighborhoods here are very distinct and have completely different vibes depending on what you want. Downtown will likely have way too much going on for a young family. It's noisy, busy, impossible to park and some parts smell strongly of urine... North Park is artsy, hipster, fun, but a little on the sketchy side for a family.

I think Bankers Hill would be wonderful for a young family, if you can find a steal like we did. Its within walking distance to Balboa Park where you could take your baby on walks, there are nice and big old houses converted into 2-8 unit apartment complexes, you can walk into Hillcrest for restaurants, coffee shops, convenience stores. And it's only a 10 minute drive to the beach.

Also remember that San Diego has microclimates. So you could be only 15-20 minutes one direction and it might be 10 degrees warmer or cooler. If you stay near the coast if will be comfortable year round. If you go towards Kearny Mesa, Clairemont Mesa, La Mesa, El Cajon, etc. it gets quite hot during the summer. My husband and I call that area "the desert" because its so much hotter there. Stay north west if you can afford it.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:29 PM

601 posts, read 1,452,229 times
Working at UCSD? Need cheap and close?

Try University City, Mira Mesa, Clairemont and Kearny Mesa for starters. Everything is freeway close.

Try hotpads.com to find a rental besides Craigslist.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:45 PM

78 posts, read 265,752 times
It all depends on your budget and lifestyle.

Young people like Pacific Beach, North Park, Mission Bay and Downtown SD.

If you have more money then you may like Del Mar or La Jolla.

The average young family in South county likes Chula Vista (east of the 805 fwy)

And actually Imperial beach has been on the rise, but is still hit or miss...

Old 10-21-2014, 09:32 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
This is very low for a family with child in San Diego. You are going to be limited by both neighborhood and by property selection. Scratch off just about every neighborhood on or near the coast, and even the places you mentioned, it's going to be very tight. Maybe a rental in Chula Vista or El Cajon will work.

I hope the move works out, but as I often tell people looking to move to San Diego: Southern California is one of the worst places for young families, from an economic point of view. Absurd real estate prices. Highest state income tax rates in the nation. One of the highest sales taxes in the nation. Highest gasoline tax in the nation. California is desperate for money, and they'll be taking it out of your wallet. The money you pay in state income taxes alone could go a long way towards a healthy college fund for your child. So why come here and forfeit your money to California politicians? Many young families have simply said, "no," and have moved the heck out of here. I don't own a home here for precisely this reason, and once I close a few more deals, I'll be buying homes in Florida and Washington (both zero income tax states). If I want San Diego, I'll come and visit, and sleep very well knowing my investments are paying me, not stupid Sacramento.
$1500 for a 1-bedroom isn't THAT limiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego