Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewme18 View Post
I'm looking over the thread and wow...reality hits.
San Diego is really that expensive, huh?
How does the cost of SD compare to LA?
San Diego and LA are both large areas. They have very expensive places and not-so-expensive places. The very expensive places are (usually) nicer.

A lot of it also is how much any individual needs to "spend money" to be happy.

Cost of housing in soCal (San Diego and LA) are high, compared to some other parts of the USA. Other costs are lower than some other parts of the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 03:31 PM

8 posts, read 6,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The difference with SD is that for it's size and upscale, expensive nature it's not due to being a business center, so it's a lot of idle wealth mixed with retiree / tourist / life on vacation types of all ages. Most professionals in SD tend to be older with families, saved up a down payment somewhere else and dug in here.
I agree. From my experience most of the moms I talk to out and about are like 35 and older. Probably already had a decent two family income for years and thus saved up quite a bit before moving and having kids here. That said this a a great city for having kids. So so many things to do, if you have money.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodster View Post
It's a safe and beautiful city. However in terms of professional development (career wisely) there is nothing here. Even the Sales jobs are the worst I have ever seen. As well the people here aren't very nice, I have no idea why everyone keeps saying everyone is chilled in California...There are amazing beaches, beautiful downtown architecture and nice weather, but that's all. Definitely Not a city for young professionals.
I think bigger cities such as NY, SF , Chicago are better (u also don't need a car there). Maybe Houston and Dallas too.

Like someone said earlier, most adults here came from somewhere else, already built professionally and financially.
I hear a lot of young people come to SD to work in the service industry for a few years. SD is a touristy place with hotels and entertainment being very expensive. Thus bar tenders say, make a lot more money here than they could elsewhere.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
LOL. Not only are there bases all over the city-
MCAS Miramar.
32nd st.
Sub Base
NAS North Island
Coronado amphib base
NRSW headquarters
Balboa Hospital
Camp Pendleton
(In all comprising 95,000 active duty uniformed personnel)

San Diego County counts 240,000 veterans in its population, (third highest in the nation) 90% of whom are male.

However you seem to believe people in the military don't own cars and just hang around drinking soda pop at the USO.

You would be hard pressed to name another city in the country with a more concentrated military population.
To be fair....When I tell people that we've recently relocated to San Diego, the next question they ask is if we're from the military! Seems like a major source of employment here. I estimate 1/5 people you talk to are from the military here or so it seems from my experience.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:49 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Maybe/maybe not...I could be wrong but I believe the tab for a beer and cocktail is noticeably higher in other tourist hot spots such as Vegas and So Beach (i.e. $11 for a can of Corona and $22-24 for a mixed drink) so, it, stands to reason higher tips follow in those places...now, if you are comparing to less touristy and more seasonal /less full year places such as Dallas, Denver, Seattle, etc that's another story.... But, yes, I agree with you that many come out here to put off adulthood by taking on service jobs for a few months or years (bartender, personal trainer, etc.) do so but they are replaceable the following month when the next busload of fresh wannabes who wish to put off adulthood shows up....transient personnel is good for the industry business owners (why overpay when you don't have to) but bad for frequent patrons in the form of customer service (high turnover and potentially lousy service).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malina3 View Post
I hear a lot of young people come to SD to work in the service industry for a few years. SD is a touristy place with hotels and entertainment being very expensive. Thus bar tenders say, make a lot more money here than they could elsewhere.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:14 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
I must be pretty out of the loop because paying 11 bucks for a barely adequate beer is not my idea of a decent value. Bump that up to a real mixed drink and *if* the occasion warrants such a drink, I will pay. Paying 22-24 (plus tip) for a mixed drink is what I remember in NYC and if I did that regularly like many there do, I wouldn't be saving in my 401k. Expensive drinks be damned.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:29 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
those are the prices they are getting in the 'party cities'--NYC. Vegas, South Beach....been a couple of years since I've been to the local SD nightclubs but it would not surprise me if drink prices are not that far behind.

Then, of course, there's that wonderful concept of bottle service....you know, where some (NOT me) pay $400 or more (before tip) for a $25 bottle of vodka so you can drink it sitting down while some hot chick in lingerie brings you your bottle with a sparkler attached?....and this current generation of kids wonders why they are in debt (or, as Michael Douglas in the most recent Wall Street movie refers to them as--the NINJA's.)....I know of people who routinely drop close to $1K a weekend who do not have jobs or careers that warrant such expenditures....I remember when I balked at $100 in my day for the occasional certain recreational....ah, never mind.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:46 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
those are the prices they are getting in the 'party cities'--nyc. Vegas, south beach....been a couple of years since i've been to the local sd nightclubs but it would not surprise me if drink prices are not that far behind.

Then, of course, there's that wonderful concept of bottle service....you know, where some (not me) pay $400 or more (before tip) for a $25 bottle of vodka so you can drink it sitting down while some hot chick in lingerie brings you your bottle with a sparkler attached?....and this current generation of kids wonders why they are in debt (or, as michael douglas in the most recent wall street movie refers to them as--the ninja's.)....i know of people who routinely drop close to $1k a weekend who do not have jobs or careers that warrant such expenditures....i remember when i balked at $100 in my day for the occasional certain recreational....ah, never mind.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:56 PM

495 posts, read 610,949 times
San Diego is a good place for midlife years mostly I would think...ages 35 to 55. 20-somethings better off in San Francisco, San Jose, LA

The entry-level college degree jobs are more common in larger cities. San Diego has smaller self-startups hiring 10-15 or more years experience with 4-year degrees. It's for well off families or married empty nesters, or longtime homeowners sitting on real estate they reaped the benefits of

Last edited by Ericthebean; 01-03-2015 at 04:04 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 07:39 PM

403 posts, read 597,654 times
So what city would be better for young professional singles: San Diego or Denver?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego