Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,278 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am 23 years old and I have inherited $100,000. I have about a total $20,000 in student loan debts with a 20 year repayment plan and interest for the loans is 2% or 3% - the payment comes out to about $220 a month.

I'm a new grad so I am making $16,000 a year right now. It's tempting to use the money for traveling while I am young and can enjoy it more without any responsibilities - but I also want to make sure I would have some in case of an emergency.

Regarding the debt, I also want to go back to grad school as well to enhance my career and my salary - but this will also incur a lot of debt as well. However, after I finish grad school I would be making a much higher salary too.

How do you think I should best use the money? How much should I invest, and at what rate should I pay off my debt? How often should I use some of the money I have to spend for something special, like traveling?

Many thanks for the help!

Last edited by thetiniestdancer; 10-19-2014 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: Just adding some more details!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 08:29 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Why ask for financial advice on a San Diego. forum? Better advice and responses if you move this to the Financial Forum.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Pay off the student loan debt. I did that and was grateful. I saved thousands in interest charges. Thousands!

Electronic wire transfer with receipt is the safest.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:57 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
Pay off all bills first

Blow about 3K on clothes and traveling.

put about 5k in savings

put the rest in mutual funds/etc

fund a job that will help pay for your school so that you do not have to use all of your money

Old 10-19-2014, 09:01 AM

401 posts, read 444,692 times
If you have any credit card debt, pay those off first, then any auto loans, then student loans. You want to pay off your debt in order of highest interest rate charged. If the student loan is the only outstanding debt you have, consider paying that off right away. Also, if you decide to go back to school, its better to pay as you go.

Look up Dave Ramsey, he's got some good advice about money. 100k may seem like a lot, but you might be surprised how quickly it can disappear. He is a big advocate of staying debt-free (living within your means) and saving (rainy day fund, paying yourself first). His stuff is just common sense, really.

Personally, I'd defer the whole travel thing until you have a more stable career. Look at it this way: You now have a really awesome safety net in case **** (and it will) happens. You'll sleep easier, feel better about yourself, and be more eager to wake up each day to tackle a new obstacle in your life, improving yourself every step of the way. You'll be in control, not the banks or some crappy boss.

One last thing: If you're renting and paying for it, depending on how much you pay in rent, it may also be wise to consider buying a cheap condo. This is another entirely different topic but just a thought. It would mean of course, going into debt, but if you're going to go into debt at all, real estate is a possibility. I'd research this for at least a year before pulling the trigger, however. It's a BFG.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:36 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
2% to 3% on a loan of 20K, I would not worry too much about making a lump sum payment with those low rates.....as long as you don't blow the inheritance.

I would work on making extra payments on that loan, for an early payoff, while preserving your inheritance for more important things.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:06 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Spend it all on hookers & blow.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:26 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,179,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
2% to 3% on a loan of 20K, I would not worry too much about making a lump sum payment with those low rates.....as long as you don't blow the inheritance.

I would work on making extra payments on that loan, for an early payoff, while preserving your inheritance for more important things.

Since student loan debt is now tax deductible, I wouldn't think of paying off a 2% loan - it's practically free money. When interest rates go up again (and they will at some point), you'll be able to invest that $20K in something that'll earn a whole lot more than 2%.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:36 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
Personally, I'd defer the whole travel thing until you have a more stable career....
Trouble with this is, it's much more complicated to travel - seriously travel - in the middle of a stable career. OP, is your current job "travel-able" (e.g. working for a national chain like *bucks that will allow you to travel and work shifts wherever you are)? If you have a job like that, then I'd put a small percentage - maybe 5% - of the inheritance to go ahead and travel on that.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:51 AM

24 posts, read 76,184 times
At $16K/yr I'm guessing it's not a career-track job. I say to spend $10k to travel and have fun while you're young. It only gets harder the older you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: