Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 07:09 PM

6 posts, read 7,595 times

Advertisements

Hey forum, thanks in advance for the insight and replies. Brief summary - I'm 33, just out of a 7 year relationship, was not married though (thankfully). Very fit and active - looking to leave frigid NY for sunny SoCal. Done a bit of research - looks like Pacific Beach, Gaslamp, and other downtown areas are a bit "young" for me. Looking for more of a cool, young professional scene, not pretentious though. But not a frat-house, sloppy college scene either. Classy, sporty, friendly and cool is the vibe I'm looking for. Same thing with women - fit, attractive, chill, professional, but not "corporate killer" types. I'd have to get a job, hopefully staying in the $80K-$100K range. I like a slightly suburban feel, not super dense with a ton of people living in arm's reach. Within 15 mins to beach is ideal for surfing, etc. So, is San Diego a great place to start this next chapter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 07:12 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleAmbitionz View Post
Hey forum, thanks in advance for the insight and replies. Brief summary - I'm 33, just out of a 7 year relationship, was not married though (thankfully). Very fit and active - looking to leave frigid NY for sunny SoCal. Done a bit of research - looks like Pacific Beach, Gaslamp, and other downtown areas are a bit "young" for me. Looking for more of a cool, young professional scene, not pretentious though. But not a frat-house, sloppy college scene either. Classy, sporty, friendly and cool is the vibe I'm looking for. Same thing with women - fit, attractive, chill, professional, but not "corporate killer" types. I'd have to get a job, hopefully staying in the $80K-$100K range. I like a slightly suburban feel, not super dense with a ton of people living in arm's reach. Within 15 mins to beach is ideal for surfing, etc. So, is San Diego a great place to start this next chapter?
Encinitas, Cardiff, Solana Beach, Del Mar is where I would start if I were you

Old 12-08-2014, 07:18 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times
I agree with the above post--Cardiff and Encinitas are the places to be. Actually, my friend (who also was my PE teacher during my junior year of high school) moved to Cardiff from NYC and is very happy.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:36 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Are you bringing your job with you ?... If not, let the board dissenter suggest that in addition to those areas you also consider taking a look at Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach in the LA area. It will increase your odds.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:27 PM

6 posts, read 7,595 times
Thanks guys (and gals). To move out there, I need to find a job. I want to get back into International Business/Sales, with a focus on Latin America. There's def more in LA, but I've been there before - didn't really dig it. It was a quick trip, but I'm really looking for a smaller town than LA, even though SD is a legit city. If a great job op was available, Santa Monica and such would be possible.

Cardiff - is there enough of a scene to meet new friends and especially women, or would I be cast into online dating mode (not to say there's anything wrong with that, just not my thing....yet....)? I don't want to be in a neighborhood full of school kids either. Hoping to find that balance.

If there are major corporate centers or office parks, that would a natural draw (jobs and quick commute). Many thanks!

Old 12-08-2014, 08:46 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
I am going to state the obvious, but given your desire for international business sales with focus on Latin America are you (1) fluent in Spanish and (2) I trust you are aware that there would also be greater opportunity in Miami, particularly financial sales (I am assuming you do know that and have no interest in moving there??).....if your job does involve travel to Latin America, there will be many more flight options (direct and otherwise) out of LAX than San Diego (or even Tijuana) airport.

In some regard, San Diego is similar to Miami--do NOT move here unless you have a job already lined up. There's not an abundance of corporate jobs, let alone high paying ones to start with--just read one of the recent threads here about SD being the 2nd most expensive in the country for some input. Hate to burst your bubble, unless you choose to ignore and are open to waiting tables should you not find a job to support your lifestyle and/or suit your needs. I'm an ex NY'er myself, so I'm not gonna tell you the dog excrement on the side of the street smells like a rose garden. Take it from me--I moved to, and within, California with a job offer, and job, in hand.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,731 times
Humble, wait until you see the women along 101 and on the beaches in Cardiff/Encinitas....they will give you whiplash!! Seriously though this area sounds like exactly what you are looking for

Old 12-08-2014, 09:50 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,136,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleAmbitionz View Post
Jobs in that range all over San Diego so it'll be easy to land one in about a week.

Yeah, 15 mins to the beach is an area no one wants to live in, so it'd be no problem.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:49 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,337 times
The North county beaches mentioned would be good. Also check into La Jolla. And check out some Orange County beaches such as Seal beach and Laguna.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:14 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,572,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Jobs in that range all over San Diego so it'll be easy to land one in about a week.

Yeah, 15 mins to the beach is an area no one wants to live in, so it'd be no problem.
Sarcasm isn't the most helpful way to answer someone's legitimate questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego