Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 06:39 AM

4 posts, read 4,414 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've always heard great things about this city, so I finally booked a trip to check it out in a few weeks. I have searched many online itineraries, suggestions, and forums, but I'm hoping for more local input! I will have 3.5 days, and I am a woman in my 20s traveling solo.

I am very active, and will likely skip most of the museums. I will be staying downtown, and will rent a car for half of my trip.

So far I'm thinking Balboa Park, Horton Plaza, Mission Beach, Ocean Beach, and a hike up either Mt. Woodson or Iron Mountain. Maybe throw in a harbor tour.

So my questions:

What would you add to this list?
What would you not do on this list?
And, what cliffs or beaches are your favorite to catch the sunset?

Thank you in advance, I'm looking forward to escaping winter for a few days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 06:45 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Head over to Coronado Beach early and take a run then take in the sights. Midweek is easier parking.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:05 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,863 times
Head for Point Loma. And bring a camera.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:16 AM

371 posts, read 637,615 times
1) Definitely go to Coronado.

2) I would not hike in the back country/canyons/mountains alone, especially if you've never been here before. If you're signing up with a hiking group, like the Canyoneers (a volunteer group with the San Diego Natural History Museum), that's different; here's the Canyoneers' public hike schedule: theNAT :: San Diego Natural History Museum :: Your Nature Connection in Balboa Park :: Canyoneer Hikes There's one for Iron Mountain on March 29, if that's when you'll be here.

3) If the Canyoneers don't have anything that you're interested in, there are urban hikes around San Diego, such as the bridges in Bankers Hill: Seven Bridge Walk | San Diego Reader The bridge walk is basically walking through regular neighborhoods on sidewalks, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that one alone. Lake Murray in La Mesa is also nice.

4) If you're going to have a car, please drive around other parts of the county just to see what they're like, even for just a couple of hours. Even if all you do is drive around freeways without stopping (the drive on the 52 over the hill from Tierrasanta into Santee has some nice views). Yeah, a lot of San Diego is sprawl and strip malls, but it's all part of the city.

5) SD is generally mellow, but Ocean Beach and Mission Beach can be questionable at night, IMHO. Be aware of your surroundings, etc.

Last edited by Jehjeh; 01-11-2015 at 07:26 AM..

Old 01-11-2015, 09:02 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
The hike up Mount Woodson (and even Iron Mountain) aren't really 'back country'. They're out in the suburbs.

The Iron Mountain trail is likely to be quite crowded. Mount Woodson, not so much. But the trail to Mount Woodson from Highway 67 is the paved utility road. There's a different trail to Mount Woodson that I've never been on so I can't describe it.

A nice suburban mountain hike up an unpaved trail that isn't too crowded is Black Mountain.

Whichever you do, be sure to bring sunscreen and plenty of drinking water.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:22 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
Head for Point Loma. And bring a camera.
Specifically, head to Cabrillo Lighthouse. There will be a $5 fee to get in, but it will allow for a return visit if you like. Besides your camera, pack a lunch and a blanket to sit on. Rest and enjoy yourself. Bring a windbreaker, just in case.

Mount Soledad in LaJolla then swing by La Jolla Cove and the "Children's" Pool. It's a pier that's been taken over by the harbor seals. La Jolla is a bit of a pain to drive into and out of, but if you combine both of these into one drive it won't be such a nuisance. As a non-local, GPS will help.

Drive through either Mission Hills or Kensington. See what the classical Hollywood version of Southern California homes look like.

Restaurant meals in urban neighborhoods - Hillcrest (4th - 6th & University), North Park (28th - 32nd & University), South Park (Juniper & 30th), or maybe Adams Avenue in either Normal Heights or Kensington 30th to 42nd). These are the non-tourist neighborhoods. Others will have to suggest specific restaurants, but there will be plenty of choices plus cafes and coffee houses.

Sunset Cliffs in OB. Be sure to climb around on the rocks, but only where you see other people. Don't be foolish.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:35 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Besides recommendations above and this site, you might try the forums on TripAdvisor.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:15 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,774 times
I like Iron Mtn and Mount Woodson, both are very good trails and a challenging hike. But if I were visiting and didn't have a lot of time, I would go up Cowles Mtn. You can make it up and down in a little less than 2 hours, depending on your ability. I've seen people do it a lot quicker but that is the norm. Cowles Mtn is still in the City of San Diego. The view, in my opinion is the best of all the trails in San Diego. There is enough parking and easy access in and out. You could start it early morning and be on to some other activity before noon. You could go up Cowles in the morning and take a run on the beach in Coronado all in the same day and have a nice sit down lunch somewhere cool. Or vice a versa.

Torrey Pines State Reserve is another cool quick "less than a day" hike. Take a drive up the 101 afterwards and get lunch or a beer in Encinitas or Solana Beach

Iron Mtn and Woodson are an all day ordeal if you take into account the drive out there and just the walk form your car to the trailhead.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 4,414 times
Thank you to everyone! I'll be adding your suggestions to my itinerary! I just wish I could spend another couple of days there, but maybe there will be a trip #2 in the future

Old 01-12-2015, 07:26 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Coastal walk above the cliffs at La Jolla Cove.

Harbor tour is actually fun- lived here over 26 years and took my first one a couple of weeks ago!

Horton Plaza? Meh. East Village and Little Italy? Yes!

I'd also skip Mission Beach and just enjoy funky Ocean Beach and head south to Sunset Cliffs park. Also head uptown at least one day/night and explore Hillcrest, University Heights or SONOHeights- the 30th St. Corridor of South Park, North Park and Normal Heights. These are the vibrant, local's neighborhoods that most tourists in the Gas Lamp Quarter miss out on unless they are with a local.

Third Thursdays in North Park | come try discounted eats & drinks in our neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego