Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 06:03 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,891 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with GMUAlum08 on the quality of life points.

Coming from the east coast, it is very much about what you do, who you work for, and doing it all during some kind of awful weather or bug season. I understand that people that love the east coast will defend all the charms of snow, etc., but for me it was a nightmare having to endure cold and snowy winters, then mosquitoes all summer (and ticks when you hike, but that is a whole other story.) Fall is pretty, I will say that.

Southern California is an area of the country unlike any other. People either love it or hate it, but there is no other place like it. I find that people here are definitely not in a big hurry. The traffic definitely isn't as bad as D.C. can be. And being able to wear flip flops and shorts year-round is awesome.

I cannot speak to the singles scene, but there are certainly all types of people here. I would imagine if you're out and about doing all the things that San Diego has to offer, there would be a decent chance of meeting someone nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 06:35 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCVizsla View Post
****I AM looking for something relatively close to the beach!****
really

Old 03-02-2015, 08:26 PM

124 posts, read 174,053 times
I am from the East Coast (NYC/New Eng) and cannot help you on that first point as I MISS the weather terribly, the seasons, and the holidays here with the palm trees is eerie and depressing (I do not like it here for many reasons), but anyway I meant to say this to you: people in SD may not be obsessed with what you do (or where you went to school) but make no mistake there is still a jockeying for position in the sense that people here are really into their fancy (and living room sized HUGE) cars, even if they live in a shack. I would say (and I am coming from the North County so I'd say it isn't so crass in the southern urban area) SD residents are conspicuous consumers in the clichéd Socal manner in that money is to be shown off and flaunted to the max be it your BMW whatever or your face job (and other body parts...). It is sort of embarrassing a bit. I am sure it is far less than LA or the ungodly OC but even in NYC rich people are more subdued and downplayed. Just don't think everyone here is the dude abiding...nein. But they are very polite low key drivers and no one ever screams at you randomly on the bus so that's nice. But alas I do miss the east coast humor/irony/liveliness. Anyway, for what it's worth.

Also there are many more men than women here - the opposite of NYC! Good for me, I found my lovely DH here so thanks to SD for that!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:40 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonics View Post
I am from the East Coast (NYC/New Eng) and cannot help you on that first point as I MISS the weather terribly, the seasons, and the holidays here with the palm trees is eerie and depressing (I do not like it here for many reasons), but anyway I meant to say this to you: people in SD may not be obsessed with what you do (or where you went to school) but make no mistake there is still a jockeying for position in the sense that people here are really into their fancy (and living room sized HUGE) cars, even if they live in a shack. I would say (and I am coming from the North County so I'd say it isn't so crass in the southern urban area) SD residents are conspicuous consumers in the clichéd Socal manner in that money is to be shown off and flaunted to the max be it your BMW whatever or your face job (and other body parts...). It is sort of embarrassing a bit. I am sure it is far less than LA or the ungodly OC but even in NYC rich people are more subdued and downplayed. Just don't think everyone here is the dude abiding...nein. But they are very polite low key drivers and no one ever screams at you randomly on the bus so that's nice. But alas I do miss the east coast humor/irony/liveliness. Anyway, for what it's worth.

Also there are many more men than women here - the opposite of NYC! Good for me, I found my lovely DH here so thanks to SD for that!
I think you will find that type of behavior in any affluent area. I would still maintain that overall people are more easy going out west than on the east and you won't find yourself as easily caught up in the rat race. It really boils down to your personality and temperament which coast suits you better. CA isn't for everyone.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:48 PM

124 posts, read 174,053 times
Probably but it is just so overt here in SD. Yes, definitely I agree that people are more laid back here in the West, which is a nice thing generally. Also bosses don't work you to death like ny, although I have found employment here much much more unstable -- so there is the flipside. But overall, as you said, CA just isn't for me.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:27 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonics View Post
make no mistake there is still a jockeying for position in the sense that people here are really into their fancy (and living room sized HUGE) cars, even if they live in a shack. I would say SD residents are conspicuous consumers in the clichéd Socal manner in that money is to be shown off and flaunted to the max be it your BMW whatever or your face job (and other body parts...). It is sort of embarrassing a bit. Even in NYC rich people are more subdued and downplayed. Just don't think everyone here is the dude abiding...nein. But they are very polite low key drivers and no one ever screams at you randomly on the bus so that's nice. But alas I do miss the east coast humor/irony/liveliness. Anyway, for what it's worth.

I have lived in DC, NYC, and San Diego, so I would have to agree with this generalization. I think it is important to note that:
- Old money is always more subdued no matter the metro. NYC has a lot of old money
- The middle/upper middle class is usually trying to flaunt their wealth (in different ways)

The thing I appreciate about San Diego is the work-to-live (not live to work) mentality where your life does not revolve around your career. This doesn't mean people aren't ambitious, but rather that there is a better balance between job, home, leisure, etc. Some find this boring, but I see it as liberating.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:56 AM

686 posts, read 1,138,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
I have lived in DC, NYC, and San Diego, so I would have to agree with this generalization. I think it is important to note that:
- Old money is always more subdued no matter the metro. NYC has a lot of old money
- The middle/upper middle class is usually trying to flaunt their wealth (in different ways)

The thing I appreciate about San Diego is the work-to-live (not live to work) mentality where your life does not revolve around your career. This doesn't mean people aren't ambitious, but rather that there is a better balance between job, home, leisure, etc. Some find this boring, but I see it as liberating.
It is all individual experiences. I've worked for companies in Boston, the Bay Area, San Diego and NYC. I can say without a doubt that the San Diego company was the absolute worst in terms of quality of life: low pay, zero equity, and just crappy people all around complete with nepotism and poor ethics. I enjoy working at a good company that has ethics and values their people; I find that liberating. Let's be real, there are a lot more of those types of companies in places like Boston, NYC, SFO and so on than in San Diego. It's almost a vicious cycle: so many people want to live in SD at any cost, that companies can treat people poorly and get away with it. As I said before, just come into it with your eyes wide open. It is a great place to live; working is a whole other story.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:13 AM

27 posts, read 176,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
I can say without a doubt that the San Diego company was the absolute worst in terms of quality of life: low pay, zero equity, and just crappy people all around complete with nepotism and poor ethics.
I was a consultant in San Diego for 16 years and interacted with many businesses in the area (Bio, Tech, and Creative industries) and this statement is spot on. While you can find these types of environments anywhere, it was rampant in SD. Furthermore, the supposed 'work-life" balance that SD is known for was merely a myth. The majority were working long hours, stressed out, and scared that they might lose their job.

In general the OP sounds like he is ready for a change so it probably doesn't matter what anyone says, but we are much happier in the DC area then we were in SD. The weather argument really is overblown, I found the marine layer (which roles in right when summer is supposed to be starting) more depressing than any weather I have encountered in DC and we spend plenty of time outdoors walking, hiking, etc. I have to agree with the others regarding the wealth/lifestyle flaunting, it is refreshing to get away from all of that.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:41 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips O'toole View Post
In general the OP sounds like he is ready for a change so it probably doesn't matter what anyone says, but we are much happier in the DC area then we were in SD. The weather argument really is overblown, I found the marine layer (which roles in right when summer is supposed to be starting) more depressing than any weather I have encountered in DC and we spend plenty of time outdoors walking, hiking, etc. I have to agree with the others regarding the wealth/lifestyle flaunting, it is refreshing to get away from all of that.
The marine layer is more depressing than the fact that its snowing in March there? Please..

Again, the flaunting of wealth and lifestyle comes with the territory of being fortunate enough to live in an affluent area. Its all over the DC area and and the elitist mentality is even worse than it is in SD. I lived there for over 25 years so I've seen the area go through a lot of change in the late 90's early 2000's and what its become today. If you enjoy it fine, but please don't act like there isn't any flaunting of lifestyle/keeping up with the Jones' mentality out there. Its hard to take your points seriously because its like you are not even trying to be objective.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:26 PM

788 posts, read 1,877,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips O'toole View Post
The weather argument really is overblown, I found the marine layer (which roles in right when summer is supposed to be starting) more depressing than any weather I have encountered in DC and we spend plenty of time outdoors walking, hiking, etc. I have to agree with the others regarding the wealth/lifestyle flaunting, it is refreshing to get away from all of that.
You've got to be kidding. It's obvious (by the weather) that you spent most of your time along the affluent coast. Is it possible that this shaped your opinion?

Both cities have areas where people flaunt wealth. As far as I'm concerned, weather is no contect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego