Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:53 PM

3 posts, read 10,471 times

Advertisements

I shop at seafood market and I don't find anyone there rude at all. Why are you so critical of your own kind? I am not Filipino but I feel sorry for how you feel about your identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:05 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,753 times
I'm of Filipino descent but Midwest USA pedigree, so to speak. Though my outer appearance is Filipino I've felt kinda unique because of my personal history in places like Gary, Indiana to Clearwater, Florida and Houston. I've never felt the need to be among the Filipino herd in that sense. But I've met some cool Filipinos and some not so cool ones...but that's the case with overall humanity.

I've lived in San Diego for a few years, in National City for the most part, probably my favorite Filipinotown in all of California.

In some ways, I admired the Mexicans more. They lived in the same ghetto as the Filipinos but they didn't care what they drove. Whatever got them to work, as hard as they worked. But among Filipinos, many are vain showoffs of their material goods especially cars.

As a case in point, I personally knew of a Filipino family that my wife and I were close friends with, living with them in a house we shared rent with...and they had a Lexus they could not afford. The 20-something year old kid drove it but almost cried like a baby when there was an issue for the car note. That sissy boy just didn't know how to grow up and deal with these things.

Thank God I grew up with more modest Midwestern values. My family with occupations as nurses, lawyers, mortgage presidents and such is better off than many Filipinos in San Diego but no one drives Lexuses or Mercedes or BMWs in my family. That's the way it is with us for some reason...that Midwestern way we just grew up with in the suburbs of Gary, Indiana. (Gary's a wreck now but it left its imprints on those of us from there, that's for sure.)

And there's a Catholic church, a cute one, just there on D Avenue and 8th Street in National City. Talk about Filipinos that gather just to see who's better than the other. I doubted what my wife had to say about that but after seeing it personally...now I know why she avoided it though it was just walking distance for us.

Personally at places like Seafood City, a fine but vanilla Filipino SoCal supermarket chain...there generally ain't no such thing as a friendly face at the checkout line. Sure, there might be some occasions of some mutual attraction but unlike typical American supermarkets, the faces are expressionless. I'm just used to "Hi" and "Hello" and "Find everything OK?" I found Family Loompya to be better but that's after I got to know some of the clerks.

Yes, there's every kind of Filipino business in San Diego, particularly in National City.

But it's insular too. Who needs all that Filipino food when there's no Pakistani or Nigerian-African cafes nearby? Nowhere close.

Here in Houston, where I've lived most of my life...I really like the international dynamic.

There are some decent Filipino markets and cafes but mixed in well among Pakistani, Nigerian, Vietnamese, Taiwanese, Lebanese, Chinese-Indonesian, Chinese, El Salvadoran, Colombian, Korean and other such businesses to create a truly global crossroads here in the Gulf Coast.

You go eat some wonderful Filipino food at Maharlika in National City. But it's too Filipino for me, that kind of attitude somewhat that ROACH mentions. (And I've been to the Philippines twice.) Maybe an Anglo spouse or a non-Filipino guy who must have been in the service and stationed in the P.I.

But here in Houston...you go to Sinh Sinh or Viet Hoa or Tan Tan...it's an Asian melting pot galore. You can hear Tagalog mixed in well, here and about, among Vietnamese, Korean, Indonesian, Cantonese and so forth. Houston has it problems but it's just so much more internationally stimulating here.

You won't see that at Seafood City. And Ranch 99 up in Convoy doesn't come close to what Houston's got.

I'd rather have that overall diversity than just predominantly Mexican and Filipino businesses in the San Diego Southbay. There's decent diversity in San Diego but not as impressive compared to Houston.

Oh, yeah and the Filipina entertainer Sarah Geronimo will be here in Houston next weekend and my wife and niece will see her. I won't though.

I worked in Kyocera in San Diego which has (or had) a HUGE Filipino workforce. Now I currently work in a county hospital in Houston located in a poor black area...and I must say, a lot of these African-American employees are much, much friendlier and cordial among strangers. Lots "Good morning" and "How's it going" among strangers. It is great. Why wasn't there a lot of that among the Filipinos at Kyocera? Among some of the Filipinos at this county hospital...it's the same thing, sorta.

I'm of Filipino descent yet there's some cultural thing I don't understand here. But I grew up among some blacks in Gary...

Old 07-31-2008, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 7,678 times
Default Filipinos in Southern Calif are cool

If you're moving to beautiful San Diego, don't worry about Filipinos hating on you. I'm not Filipino but I grew up around the culture and the people. They stick together and they are cool. Your family will enjoy San Diego as much as I do.... and I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
My Wife and I along with our 3 young children (we are Filipino)are planning on moving to San Diego (in or around the Poway area) within the next 7 months. We are moving from Bergen county NJ where I've lived for most of my adult life. Here in the northeast Filipinos are far and few between compared to southern California but I've never experienced any prejudice or rasicm here. Also Filipinos in the northeast greet each other and smile when they see other Filipinos, and embrace one anothers company. I understand that may not always be the case in southern California, where I hear Filipinos hate on other Filipinos that they don't know. I was just wondering how Filipinos were treated or looked upon in San Diego both by other Filipinos and non-Filipinos alike is this a move my family and I may regret?
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Last edited by lspen12; 07-31-2008 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: misspelled words

Old 07-31-2008, 06:58 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,377 times
I don't think the hating behavior is exclusive to Filipinos here... it seems that is kind of a general So Cal attitude (competitiveness, snobbery and superficiality). But honestly, I think the people in San Diego are quite nice especially compared to LA. The people here in general seem more down-to-Earth and I've met some Filipinos and they were really nice. Back in the 90's there seemed to be a lot of young Filipino street gangsters, not sure if that is still the case, but mostly the people here are quite nice. It is just not easy to meet people if you don't join a social organization or church.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:29 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,599 times
Im not filipino.
But I love filipinos, really the filipinas. Them along with the mexicans have the perfect tans.
word

Old 08-02-2008, 10:16 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Wow...interesting perspectives. Funny how so many discussions on the SD Forum turn into a SD vs Houston debate.

We're planning on relocating to Houston to be near family and I can tell you that we are going to absolutely miss having Mira Mesa & National City relatively nearby. As far as I know, Houston does not have Goldilocks (we had lunch there the other day with older Filipino-raised relatives who are all excellent as well as very particular cooks & pretty much everything we ordered received a thumbs-up), Red Ribbon, Bakery Plus, Gemmae Bakery & Cafe, etc...or anything of that ilk except for a couple of options (Gold Ribbon in Houston is "ok"). My brother was definitely getting his fill of Filipino food while here this past week with trips to Jollie Bee, Chow King and Red Ribbon.

The cashiers at Seafood City perhaps aren't the friendliest when I go shopping nor do I go very often so it doesn't really bother me all that much. Besides, I'm not looking for friends there anyway. Everyone that has helped us in the aforementioned establishments have always been cordial.

OP - have you made the move or are you still considering it?

Old 08-13-2008, 11:48 AM

12 posts, read 64,067 times
Default Filipinos---adapt and overcome.

Nice interpretation of Filipino culture in SoCal. I am American of Filipino heritage as well. I have lived in different parts of the country including TX (near Corpus and Houston, Illinois, Guam, Silverdale/Bremerton, WA). Each region is different and hence, the people act different. Here in Seattle, Filipinos that are more established in the region (two or more generations) differentiate themselves from SoCAL Filipinos greatly. The attitude is more Ilocano up here (frugal, not a show-off) than Tagalog. Is that a bad thing? Probably not. But down in SoCAL, the Phils have adapted to Hollywood and Manila style living. That is big city to me. Up here in Seattle, Filipino individuality rules yet in different aspects than SoCAL Filipinos. We pride ourselves on serving in the military, voting, drinking, the second amendment. We have earned our spot here in Seattle as a people and we still contribute. I wouldn't be surprised if you asked anyone on the street if they had good things to say about Filipinos......and they respond with respect and admiration. No really. Even within our own circles, it is not uncommon to shirk the material wealth whilst extolling the "good works" that others have done.
Stay away from SoCal because you will just get Manila style "Filipinos". Hang out with "from de Barrio" peeps and you will meet a Phil who is more down to earth.
"I ain't ashamed back from where I came"
"I'm from the boondocks"-----------

Old 04-06-2009, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 29,013 times
Hey guys,

Sharing with you:

Canada's Most Lucrative & Fun Business Opportunity... it's starts expanding to California specifically in SD... our business partner KYLE starts building his business and is growing so fast... check this out!

To learn about the business visit:

myGWT

You can also call KYLE for inquiries... his Tel# is (619) 977-9491

Thanks.
Ron

Old 04-19-2009, 05:50 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Wow...interesting perspectives. Funny how so many discussions on the SD Forum turn into a SD vs Houston debate.

We're planning on relocating to Houston to be near family and I can tell you that we are going to absolutely miss having Mira Mesa & National City relatively nearby. As far as I know, Houston does not have Goldilocks (we had lunch there the other day with older Filipino-raised relatives who are all excellent as well as very particular cooks & pretty much everything we ordered received a thumbs-up), Red Ribbon, Bakery Plus, Gemmae Bakery & Cafe, etc...or anything of that ilk except for a couple of options (Gold Ribbon in Houston is "ok"). My brother was definitely getting his fill of Filipino food while here this past week with trips to Jollie Bee, Chow King and Red Ribbon.

The cashiers at Seafood City perhaps aren't the friendliest when I go shopping nor do I go very often so it doesn't really bother me all that much. Besides, I'm not looking for friends there anyway. Everyone that has helped us in the aforementioned establishments have always been cordial.

OP - have you made the move or are you still considering it?
Well, I do miss Maharlika and the rush of Seafood City and some of National City at times...but places like Red Ribbon and Jollibee's are a joke. I loved Chow King in Manila...in San Diego or L.A., not so much.

I don't see what the appeal is for some of that Filipino franchise food (except for Max's Chicken perhaps)...but like I mentioned, I grew up with Midwestern tastes...and my tastes have become more worldly over time.

In Houston, I only need a "few" Filipino "options" but here we have Colombian, Nigerian, Pakistani, El Salvadoran, late night Asian of varying stripes...stuff that's very difficult to find in San Diego. Houston's a more worldly city than San Diego. If you just like Pinoy Culture, then San Diego's better. But Pinoys are swarming to Houston. Wowowee was here. Sarah Geronimo, Freddie Aguilar, Aegis and many other Filipino entertainmers now put Houston on the itinerary.

And there was once a Goldilocks in Houston before it became Gold Ribbon. Some controversy back in the day.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:49 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
In Houston, I only need a "few" Filipino "options" but here we have Colombian, Nigerian, Pakistani, El Salvadoran, late night Asian of varying stripes...stuff that's very difficult to find in San Diego. Houston's a more worldly city than San Diego.
I just love that you think San Diego is only about Filipinos and Mexicans!

Do you not think that we have Ethiopian/Abyssinian, Somalian, Halal, Iraqi, El Salvadoran, Argentinean, Brazillian, Indian/Pakistani restaurants here, as well? Well, we do. We've also got Cuban, Guamanian/Hawaiian, Eritrean, Lebanese, pupserias....well, you get the point.

Late night Asian hard to find? Really? In Kearny Mesa, Tajima (Japanese) and Soju Town (Korean) are open till 3:00am, Emerald (Chinese), Min Sok Chon (Korean), Korean Hometown till 2:00am, not to mention the late night karaoke bars that like Chorus and J Music. Tea 'n More stays open till 1:00am. Hillcrest has Hong Kong, Asian Bistro and Saigon on 5th that all stay open till 3:00am.

Asian not your thing? Then go to Ciro's Pizza, MaryJane's, Etna, Sultan Schwarma, Filter all stay open till 3:00am. Basic, Turf Club, Red Fox serve till 2:00am

Not late enough? What about the 24 hour joints like Rudford's and Marie's in North Park, Du-Par's, Brian's and and Broadway Pizza downtown, Studio Diner in Kearny Mesa or Lestat's in Normal Heights? And don't forget about all the fast food Mexican Drive-thrus.

I'm sure there are more, but I'll spare you the boredom.

On the subject of diversity, the links below from the US Census Bureau (2007) might interest you regarding the breakdown of races for Houston City (since being in the inner loop is the only thing that matters, right) and San Diego City.

Houston city, Texas - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2005-2007

San Diego city, California - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2005-2007

It's no surprise that Houston has a much higher percentage of Mexicans and Blacks, but SD runs away with it when it comes to ther Asian/Pacific Islander population in ALL (including Vietnamese) categories, except South Asian.

The percentages of Cubans and Puerto Ricans are about equal.

Further research also reveals SD has more mixed races (Black/White, White/Asian, White/Indian, Black/Indian) than Houston, even with our much smaller population.

Houston most likely has more Central Americans, but if you think that's enough to make Houston more worldly and international than San Diego, then you are wrong.

Last edited by sdurbanite; 04-21-2009 at 07:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego