Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 10:47 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Does anyone else feel tapped out? We ripped out our lawns 3 years ago. I literally would have to quit showering to drop down another 25%.

We use reclaimed water from our clothes washer as the water source for a rose bush, some vegetables and small tree.
THIS. My city might look lush but it uses reclaimed water to water the greenery and has for many years.

As for my residence, due to my own xeriscaping, I don't know what else I can do other than discontinuing the addition of any water into my pool. I am a water miser in all other ways already and even the pool I keep covered and therefore do not need to add much to it. I use far less than others and I don't see how I could drop much more without such a radical lifestyle change that would ultimately destroy my QOL and make living in California totally undesirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 05:06 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
So we don't have a ton of grass, at least relative to our lot size . . .but we are on a half-acre with a septic system . . .and there's grass over the septic drain/leach field.

Does anyone know of a suitable low-water alternative to grass for a leach field? I know you can't plant anything with an extensive or deep root system as that will clog the pipes. And just doing rocks or gravel or something non-plant will interfere with how the field is supposed to work. Grass seems to be the default - but I can see that changing now.

I Googled using "low water plant septic California" and didn't turn up much . . .best was this guidebook from Nevada

https://www.unce.unr.edu/publication...007/fs0732.pdf

anyone here in SD have experience with this?
Hi, there, North SD Co. was my home for 25+ years, didn't have a septic tank there but now do in rural PNW. I just took a septic class & this question came up...answer was...only grass, nothing else or you will mess up your septic system...you should probably just leave it alone, septics are the same wherever you live.

BTW, where I now live, there is a ton of rain, at least being a native SoCal it sure seems that way to me, but we are actually in a mild drought here, & water conservation methods are in place here.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:44 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Its Not my problem we are in a drought
The State knew about this years ago, but were more hell bent on building that Damn Bullet Train
I'm not saving Jack,so Come and get me water PoPo!

I couldn't agree more.

I don't know a lot about this subject so my thoughts are really uniformed.....but why the hell are we building a multi-billion dollar train system when we are dealing with a slow motion natural disaster that doesn't seem to be getting any better. Shouldn't we be building more dams, aqueducts, and canals to capture the little water we have from the snow pack that ends up being lost. Maybe a pipeline from the Sierra Nevadas...I don't know, that probably is just crazy talk.....but an effin train. Really? If I want to go to San Francisco, I would jump on one of the dozens of flights that leave from SoCal on a daily basis and be there within an hour.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:12 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I couldn't agree more.

I don't know a lot about this subject so my thoughts are really uniformed.....but why the hell are we building a multi-billion dollar train system when we are dealing with a slow motion natural disaster that doesn't seem to be getting any better. Shouldn't we be building more dams, aqueducts, and canals to capture the little water we have from the snow pack that ends up being lost. Maybe a pipeline from the Sierra Nevadas...I don't know, that probably is just crazy talk.....but an effin train. Really? If I want to go to San Francisco, I would jump on one of the dozens of flights that leave from SoCal on a daily basis and be there within an hour.
We should fast-track desalinization plants and reservoirs all over the coast. The plants should be as unobtrusive as possible, and use the most up-to-date technology. Gov. Brown should use the might of his office to push the Coastal Commission and others to get 'em going.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:38 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I couldn't agree more.

Because High Speed Rail is supposed to make the State look Progressive and leading the rest of the Country. An ego thing. Actaully doing something about water is not as glamorous.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:40 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
We should fast-track desalinization plants and reservoirs all over the coast. The plants should be as unobtrusive as possible, and use the most up-to-date technology. Gov. Brown should use the might of his office to push the Coastal Commission and others to get 'em going.
Don't hold your breath. Now maybe if the Feds step in something will get done.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:15 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,007 times
I couldn't care less.

I knew two decades ago this planet was grossly overpopulated, and knew at a young age humans were eating and killing everything in sight. Reflecting on my thoughts back then, today is worse than I had imagined.

But I acted accordingly with my then-young-self beliefs, and decided to never have children. And I purposefully dated women who also didn't want children. Not breeding is an enormous green move, the greatest environmental contribution you can make, period. Every human you spawn will increase your procreative carbon footprint by a whopping twenty times per child. Link.

So, I've done way, way more than my fair share by ending my genes and bloodline, and me and my SO leaving more space and resources for everyone else. But I won't do a damn thing more, ever, even in the face of fines and force. We will continue to live as we have, and will consume as we see fit -- and we have the money and the wherewithal to do as we please.

Rampant human breeding is killing everything. Breeders made this mess. They can clean it up. And if things really implode in California, I don't care. I'll simply leave, because we are pure financial liquid and can jet on a dime and live anywhere on the planet, very comfortably. My holdings in CA are a big fat zero. Pack up tomorrow, gone and good riddance.

Do I sound like an ass? Good, because these are the words of a rational actor who has watched the human race for decades, the selfishness of it all, and knows not a damn thing will be done. Nobody cares -- least of all the breeders -- and nothing will change. It's already over. I now merely observe how hellish things are going to get. Inland Empire is now getting a taste, as waterwells belch dust. Behold your ghost of Christmas future.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:44 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,565,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Don't hold your breath. Now maybe if the Feds step in something will get done.
How about Interstate Water Pipelines which would pump water from parts of the country with a surplus of water to parts with a deficit? Since 80% of California's water is being used for agriculture which supplies 25% of the crops consumed by the nation it would be win win solution for all. It'll create jobs and the water can be stored in the reservoirs we already have that now are way under capacity.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
I couldn't care less.

I knew two decades ago this planet was grossly overpopulated, and knew at a young age humans were eating and killing everything in sight. Reflecting on my thoughts back then, today is worse than I had imagined.

But I acted accordingly with my then-young-self beliefs, and decided to never have children. And I purposefully dated women who also didn't want children. Not breeding is an enormous green move, the greatest environmental contribution you can make, period.
Unfortunately, if all the people with genetic predispositions to behave responsibly do not have children, who does that leave on the planet?

Old 04-12-2015, 03:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Does anyone else feel tapped out? We ripped out our lawns 3 years ago. I literally would have to quit showering to drop down another 25%.

We use reclaimed water from our clothes washer as the water source for a rose bush, some vegetables and small tree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
My husband and I only use 100 gallons a day way below the average use and like Angry Taxpayer said, the only way to go lower would be to give up showering all together. I am not going for the option.
AngryTaxPayer and Happyinca, you are both probably already more water frugal than most people. I cannot imagine that these new restrictions will be focused on you for more frugality, rather on all the water wasters who have unreasonable consumption. Fortunately since most of them have water meters it will be easy to identify who they are. Yes the water police are coming, they have to because there are too many irresponsible people out there like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 Its Not my problem we are in a drought
The State knew about this years ago, but were more hell bent on building that Damn Bullet Train
I'm not saving Jack,so Come and get me water PoPo!
Yes, you can probably expect a knock at your door in the near future.

I found after living on a sailboat for an extended period of time that we were able to shower quite effectively with one gallon of water per day. Wet your hair and body down with a small amount of water, lather everything up good, then rinse. It helps to have someone pour the water over you as your rinse.

Desalination is the solution we need to pursue. There is lots of water available in the oceans for our use. It is entirely possible to live on a sailboat with moderate water needs and get all of the water you need from a sailboat sized desalination plant.

The problem most of us have that makes living with less water difficult is all that green landscaping we try to keep alive in areas that really should have desert landscaping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego