Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/country/region will be the next non-stop destination from SD Lindbergh?
South America 1 10.00%
Central America 5 50.00%
Caribbean 0 0%
Western Europe (UK,France,Netherlands,Ireland) 1 10.00%
South/SE Europe (Italy,Greece,Spain,Portugal) 0 0%
Central Europe (Germany, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic) 2 20.00%
Scandanavia or Russia 0 0%
East Asia (China, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong) 1 10.00%
Southeast Asia (Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam) 4 40.00%
South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh) 0 0%
North Africa, excluding Egypt 0 0%
Sub-Saharan to South African 0 0%
Middle East (Turkey, UAE, Israel) 0 0%
Australia + Oceania 2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:08 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,155,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I use SAN and SNA(John Wayne) most of the time, but prefer San Diego because it's about 35 minutes closer and not as much traffic. But I love the John Wayne Airport because it's just a lot more relaxing and in all honesty, i can get there 20 minutes before my flight leaves and still make it whereas I've been just made it on my flight being 2 hours early in San Diego. But again, a $50 Uber ride is far more reasonable than $100+ to John Wayne.

However if the San Diego airport becomes almost as far as John Wayne, I'd never use it and I imagine many people in North County would just avoid it as well. The cool thing about the existing airport is it is pretty much close to everything. An airport way down South almost feels like it's not for San Diego, but for TJ.
SHHHH please don't let everyone know about our airport. Let's not turn our clean, well designed, easy-access airport into a place that is flooded with folks. I hate having to check in 2 hours early oh so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 08:47 PM

788 posts, read 1,878,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
SHHHH please don't let everyone know about our airport. Let's not turn our clean, well designed, easy-access airport into a place that is flooded with folks. I hate having to check in 2 hours early oh so much.
I live about equidistant between SNA and SAN, but never fly out of Orange County because the flights are considerably more expensive and limited (at least to the places I'm going.)

We really need to upgrade terminal 1. Terminal 2 looks great and I love how they have famous San Diego restaurant/bars like Phil's, Ryan Bros., Saffron Thai, The Prado, Pannikin, Jack in the Box()and Stone Brewery. I think it's a pretty unique experience as half the dining is local estabilishments

Old 05-07-2015, 09:20 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,155,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhkshdcny09 View Post
I live about equidistant between SNA and SAN, but never fly out of Orange County because the flights are considerably more expensive and limited (at least to the places I'm going.)

We really need to upgrade terminal 1. Terminal 2 looks great and I love how they have famous San Diego restaurant/bars like Phil's, Ryan Bros., Saffron Thai, The Prado, Pannikin, Jack in the Box()and Stone Brewery. I think it's a pretty unique experience as half the dining is local estabilishments
I hear you on the price. It stings for those of us who travel. I just traveled to the east coast and the cost was prohibitive from SNA and I took LAX instead.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:13 AM

96 posts, read 128,422 times
I only use LAX when need to fly across Pacific to AU/NZ/FJ with typical departure time around 10-11 PM and arrival back between 10 am and 1 pm. And only when I pay out of my own pocket to save 200-300 dollars markup to fly from SAN or CLD when United served the airport. Otherwise LAX is too far too drive on busy freeways with guarantied traffic delays. Moreover, if there is an accident between Oceanside and San Juan Capistrano, there are not many options to detour and unless you booked 4 hours to drive to LAX or 2.5 hours to drive to SNA you are at risk to miss your flight.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:21 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,914,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Costa View Post
I only use LAX when need to fly across Pacific to AU/NZ/FJ with typical departure time around 10-11 PM and arrival back between 10 am and 1 pm. And only when I pay out of my own pocket to save 200-300 dollars markup to fly from SAN or CLD when United served the airport. Otherwise LAX is too far too drive on busy freeways with guarantied traffic delays. Moreover, if there is an accident between Oceanside and San Juan Capistrano, there are not many options to detour and unless you booked 4 hours to drive to LAX or 2.5 hours to drive to SNA you are at risk to miss your flight.
I've avoid driving to LAX, but sometimes I'll take a commuter flight from San Diego. I tried to fly out of Carlsbad now and again, but every time I wind up missing the return flight due to a delay or long layover so I wind up renting a car at LAX and driving to SD instead of waiting till the next morning. Do that enough times and you just avoid using Carlsbad. It was kind of cool though when I could use it. The challenge is sometimes finding a SAN to LAX to someplace else gets expensive instead of just LAX to someplace else. But the commuter option is usually shorter lines, not as crowded and far better than driving to LAX.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:30 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
I think a Costa Rica flight would do well.

Alaska just added two non stops from LAX to both San Jose and Liberia...and Alaska seems to be expanding in San Diego quite a bit though almost all leisure routes including all the Hawaiian islands, Orlando, Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos and to their hubs of course.

So I vote that central america would be most likely....using either Copa Airlines (they do fly to Vegas, and Tampa from Panama so SD is in that same sphere of cities) or Alaska Airlines.

A real long shot would be a middle eastern airline like Emirates or Qatar airlines as they are looking to expand in the USA. Both airlines are flying to Boston. Cathay to Hong Kong would be another extreme long shot but they too have started flying to Boston.
I also think a flight to San Jose (Costa Rica) is doable and have heard that the airport authority is looking at flights to Central America, so that is what I voted for.

And while the nonstop to London is great, I'd happily trade it in for a flight to mainland Europe (Lufthansa to Frankfurt, Air France to Paris or KLM to Amsterdam). It would make getting around the rest of Europe easier. I read that Condor Airlines in now flying from from Frankfurt to Providence and Portland, OR. Would be great if they flew to SD.

As far as the next Asian destination goes, I'm guessing it's going to be Manila or Shanghai. For years, Phillippine Airlines has been wanting to come to SD.

Philippine Airlines needs more and stronger partnerships. All Nippon Airways tie-up is a small step | CAPA - Centre for Aviation

Old 05-08-2015, 08:41 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Costa View Post
I, too, only go thru LAX or SFO to fly over the Pacific. Time wise, there's really no difference between driving to LAX to catch a flight to Paris and making one stop at JFK or Newark. It's alot less stressful, too. That Tom Bradley Terminal is always a mess.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:06 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,551,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhkshdcny09 View Post
The planes are more likely to hit the mountains....?

Look at the terrain on google earth and you'll see the difference in airplane approaches. A satellite view isn't adequate to see the difference.
I see, yes Otay Mountain is directly East of Brownfield Airport.

Country singer Reba Mcintyres's band mates lost their lives in 1991 as a result of the plane clipping the side of the mountain.

Plane Crash Kills 8 in Singer's Band : Air tragedy: Two crew members also died when jet struck mountain. Reba McEntire and husband were on a 2nd plane. - latimes

Old 05-09-2015, 07:00 PM

788 posts, read 1,878,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I see, yes Otay Mountain is directly East of Brownfield Airport.

Country singer Reba Mcintyres's band mates lost their lives in 1991 as a result of the plane clipping the side of the mountain.

Plane Crash Kills 8 in Singer's Band : Air tragedy: Two crew members also died when jet struck mountain. Reba McEntire and husband were on a 2nd plane. - latimes
I'm wondering if military operations could move to brown field.. The planes are generally more maneuverable/smaller, so I'd think it would be less hazardous the commercial jets. Then again, most of the pilots are being trained..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego