Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:02 PM

46 posts, read 148,615 times

Advertisements

4s ranch is a fantastic area, and new roads have recently opened making it very accessible to the coast. the new schools are opening, and home prices seem to be dropping from the highs of a couple of years ago.

if i were moving here with a family, it is the 1st place i would look if my budget is under a million.

you may want to rent for a bit, to check out the area before making a comittment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,943 times
Yes. It is expensive. 700K should get you into a nice 3 bdrm in a good school district (the best are Poway, Carlsbad and Encinitas, pretty far from San Diego downtown).

Here is my list of pro's and con's, very subjective obviously..

Cons: We've found it isn't just the housing that is expensive. Pretty much everything is: property taxes (thanks Prop 13!) food, gas, utilities--we barely use gas and heat and our bill for 2K sf is always over $200. Conservative city and out lying areas, traffic is horrible (even by NY and DC standards), lack of diversity...

Pros: It is really beautiful, the weather is perfect and there are lots of great things for the kids: Legoland, Seaworld, Zoo/Animal Park, beaches, etc etc etc., casual culture.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:28 AM

786 posts, read 3,927,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inara9 View Post
Yes. It is expensive. 700K should get you into a nice 3 bdrm in a good school district (the best are Poway, Carlsbad and Encinitas, pretty far from San Diego downtown).

Here is my list of pro's and con's, very subjective obviously..

Cons: We've found it isn't just the housing that is expensive. Pretty much everything is: property taxes (thanks Prop 13!) food, gas, utilities--we barely use gas and heat and our bill for 2K sf is always over $200. Conservative city and out lying areas, traffic is horrible (even by NY and DC standards), lack of diversity...

Pros: It is really beautiful, the weather is perfect and there are lots of great things for the kids: Legoland, Seaworld, Zoo/Animal Park, beaches, etc etc etc., casual culture.
While I agree on your point that everything here is expensive - I'll add vet. expenses if you have a pet. I disagree on the utilities aspect. We have a 3k sf house and our bill is only around $100 a month. I've heard other people complain though and I just wonder if they are leaving lights on in the house all day or something or if they have a pool -those things use a lot of electricity. I think that is super cheap - my family lives in upstate NY and they can pay upwards of $400 per month on BALANCED billing and they don't have A/C and their houses are much smaller.

I also disagree on the traffic and diversity factor. My spouse's commute to work here is shorter than when we lived in Cleveland (about 20 minutes). And as for diversity, my kids have Muslim, Jewish and Christian friends and our neighbors are from all over the globe. It probably just depends what neighborhood you live in I guess.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:59 PM

42 posts, read 169,464 times
CrissCT, Blondmom (or anyone else): Sounds like you might have the answers I am looking for. We are contemplating a job transfer, and are looking at renting a house in 4S Ranch. It would probably be around 2500 sq ft, about $3500/ month and we have 3 kids. For budget purposes, can you give me an estimate on what to expect on the following:
Electric: $100+? according to prev posts
//Gas:
//Water:
//Cell Phones:
//Cox Cable/Internet/Phone bundle: (We might keep our vonage, though)
//Gardener: (We would be responsible for this, according to the listings we like......)
//Sewer:
//Trash:
//Rent Insurance:

I know that there are many different factors that will affect the prices above, but if we had a starting point, it would be extemely helpful!! Thanks for any input......

Last edited by kelhuck; 01-27-2009 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: form

Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,375,038 times
You should probably be aware of possible Mello-Roos taxes and/or HOA that you would have to consider in certain neighborhoods.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:16 PM

42 posts, read 169,464 times
Thanks, f_m. Actually, I already know what the HOA dues are, since they shown in the listings. I also see what the Mello Roos are, except I *assumed* they would be paid by the home owner........ I hope so, anyway!!! I guess that's something I'll have to find out when we talk to the realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego