Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 02:05 AM

10 posts, read 13,025 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job offer downtown in San Diego.
My wife is originally from North County (Oceanside), however we wanted to look at other areas that had a more reasonable commute for me.
We settled on Imperial Beach near the ocean, partly because it's a more affordable community, but also because the drive didn't look too bad. I've done the drive outside of rush hour in about 20mins; I'm led to believe it's about 40mins with traffic.

One of the attractions to Imperial Beach is the proximity of the trolley line that goes downtown.
Palm Ave would be the nearest station, and would take around 34mins.

My question is: would this be a normal/reasonable thing to do for a commute?

I'm originally from London and am used to taking the subway everywhere. I notice in the states you all drive and rarely take transit.

It looks like there is free parking at Palm Ave station, but I feel a bit sketched out leaving my vehicle there all day. Is it safe? Would it be safe fir instance to catch a Padres game and return to the vehicle at 11pm?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 09:09 AM

31 posts, read 37,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by username.exe View Post
I just accepted a job offer downtown in San Diego.
My wife is originally from North County (Oceanside), however we wanted to look at other areas that had a more reasonable commute for me.
We settled on Imperial Beach near the ocean, partly because it's a more affordable community, but also because the drive didn't look too bad. I've done the drive outside of rush hour in about 20mins; I'm led to believe it's about 40mins with traffic.

One of the attractions to Imperial Beach is the proximity of the trolley line that goes downtown.
Palm Ave would be the nearest station, and would take around 34mins.

My question is: would this be a normal/reasonable thing to do for a commute?

I'm originally from London and am used to taking the subway everywhere. I notice in the states you all drive and rarely take transit.

It looks like there is free parking at Palm Ave station, but I feel a bit sketched out leaving my vehicle there all day. Is it safe? Would it be safe fir instance to catch a Padres game and return to the vehicle at 11pm?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
The Palomar station has better lighting. It only one exit over on the freeway. I use that station when ever I use the trolley. It just feels safer to me.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:16 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
You might want to consider taking a bus to the Trolley. There should be one that goes right up Palm Ave. I was actually looking in the same area as you last year.

Are you aware that there is a military training grounds being built in the area ? I would seriously consider NOISE to be an issue...from military helicopters or planes.

True Story......Last year I found a house near Palm Ave and the Coronado Land Strip. As I make my way to the airport in NYC I google map the exact address given to me by the renter. In front of the house there is this huge patch of land with a fence around it. At first I think oh how nice I really appreciate the green space......it was a construction site ! Cancelled my ticket and went home with my tail between my legs....lots of military operations in the area...be careful.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvuitton1 View Post
The Palomar station has better lighting. It only one exit over on the freeway. I use that station when ever I use the trolley. It just feels safer to me.
Thank you. I did look on Google maps and it appeared to be a bit of a nicer station. Only bummer is if there's traffic between Palomar and Palm Ave.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
You might want to consider taking a bus to the Trolley. There should be one that goes right up Palm Ave. I was actually looking in the same area as you last year.

Are you aware that there is a military training grounds being built in the area ? I would seriously consider NOISE to be an issue...from military helicopters or planes.

True Story......Last year I found a house near Palm Ave and the Coronado Land Strip. As I make my way to the airport in NYC I google map the exact address given to me by the renter. In front of the house there is this huge patch of land with a fence around it. At first I think oh how nice I really appreciate the green space......it was a construction site ! Cancelled my ticket and went home with my tail between my legs....lots of military operations in the area...be careful.
Well aware of the military aspects, however we are being realistic. San Diego is a military you want to be by the beach with a reasonable commute and no military, then you're going to be paying for it.
Personally I don't mind it and prefer to save the cash.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:52 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
How about the 901 bus up Thr Strand to Coronado and then take the commuter ferry into DTSD. I am not saying I have done this but this could be another option.

http://www.coronado.ca.us/egov/docum...4367_71828.pdf

Old 06-21-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
How about the 901 bus up Thr Strand to Coronado and then take the commuter ferry into DTSD. I am not saying I have done this but this could be another option.

http://www.coronado.ca.us/egov/docum...4367_71828.pdf
Interesting. I don't generally like to wait for and take buses, but I'll definitely take a look.
Thanks.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:42 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
If you take the 901 bus to Coronado, then take the ferry to downtown, depending on where your office is, you'll still have to take a bus or walk to the trolley. You can also take the 901 bus downtown. Your best bet is to drive and park at the trolley station to take it downtown.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:52 PM

31 posts, read 37,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by username.exe View Post
Thank you. I did look on Google maps and it appeared to be a bit of a nicer station. Only bummer is if there's traffic between Palomar and Palm Ave.
I have never hit traffic.. Traffic usually starts by the 54 freeway which is a few miles down.
Of coarse this is only at rush hour... Any other time no traffic at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego