Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 04:14 PM

771 posts, read 835,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrash View Post
I can't really argue with any of your points. There's definitely truth there. I guess, for us, the move made sense. We had next to no family time when my husband was in his former position with the company, since he was traveling all week most of the time. This went on for years. He stayed in SD on a regular basis by himself for work, also, and it was just too hard on him to be nearly bicoastal and away from family 5-6 days per week. Yet, he works for a great company and didn't want to leave and start over in a new company. He got a nice raise to move out here. The kids and I aren't trapped inside all day due to oppressive heat/humidity/mosquitoes/thrips/noseeums. We're not 3 hours from the closest beach or mountains anymore. As I said, the worst part was leaving family back east.

I guess you can talk to me in 20+ years when we're in retirement mode to see if I feel the same , but for now I'm glad we moved. My dad barely lived to see his retirement, so maybe that gives me an "enjoy life while you can" mentality. That's entirely possible.
I like the term "bicoastal" Your points above are all valid and well taken. I just felt like I had to point out that there are non-debatable financial differences and associated risks. Those are fairly straightforward to quantify. Living in a place you don't like or not living in a place you love--or putting it off for later--is another risk, albeit one that's much harder to quantify. It's all a matter of one's personal now vs. later balance.

I'm not a fan of NC. I've wanted to like Florida. I've tried to like Florida. I just can't or haven't been able to. Too many bugs, too much heat and humidity, and it feels too much like the east coast in many places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 04:55 PM

17 posts, read 25,764 times
The reason many people want to move here is the amazing weather year round, that said, the "paradise tax" is in San Diego is so much higher than people from other places even realize. First the wages in San Diego are not as high as other parts of CA and don't reflect that it is as large as a city as it is. The rents are really high so a middle class single will pay more with a roommate what they would pay for a place elsewhere on their own. Buying a home unless you have 2 good stable incomes is really hard and even then you'll have to compromise. People want everything in San Diego that they can get elsewhere for a 3rd of the price: Good neighborhood, low crime, good schools, close to the beach etc.......well so do 3 million other people.

Bottom line if your young and don't want a house and can deal with living with a roommate or are married but don't want to settle down and have a house and kids... fine move here if you have a job or have a lot of money saved while your looking for a job. Please get a reality check first and look online at what rentals costs and what salaries are for your profession. Also keep in mind things are spread our here and if you live far from your job and have a SUV you may spend $100 a week on gas alone. Personally I love CA but I am moving to CO.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:22 PM

8 posts, read 4,932 times
I totally notice this "do not move here theme". Ive been on here a few different times in my life before different moves to WA and OR and was told no matter which state it was about "oh no dont move here" and it makes me think people just dont want the competition for their jobs or worry it will change their housing costs if we do come there with good money. I would love to know the advice Im getting has all selfishness laid aside. There is no way its a bad idea to "move here" in every state. But thats what I have heard, east coast to west coast. Or maybe the people on here are just not as positive as people you might meet if you just arrive in that state and ask the locals. For example, on this board for 6 months people told me I should not move to WA. But once I had moved to WA the people who had reolcated there were happy to share their stories and tell me all the great things about the place and were very encouraging. I moved a lot being married to someone in the military but now that Im single Im interested in moving to SD. I would like to know more about it without people "talking me out of it".

Old 06-23-2015, 05:34 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl85 View Post
I totally notice this "do not move here theme". Ive been on here a few different times in my life before different moves to WA and OR and was told no matter which state it was about "oh no dont move here" and it makes me think people just dont want the competition for their jobs or worry it will change their housing costs if we do come there with good money. I would love to know the advice Im getting has all selfishness laid aside. There is no way its a bad idea to "move here" in every state. But thats what I have heard, east coast to west coast. Or maybe the people on here are just not as positive as people you might meet if you just arrive in that state and ask the locals. For example, on this board for 6 months people told me I should not move to WA. But once I had moved to WA the people who had reolcated there were happy to share their stories and tell me all the great things about the place and were very encouraging. I moved a lot being married to someone in the military but now that Im single Im interested in moving to SD. I would like to know more about it without people "talking me out of it".

Quit your job, sell your stuff and move here. Be sure to have that 5 grand for first/last and a deposit. Then just roll on down to the business of your choice and tell them what job you are interested it. Piece of cake.

Ok, I jest. Just remember, the local success stories you hear are from the people that actually made it. I love my job. Guess what, we haven't hired anyone in my dept in 7 years. On top of that we laid off 500 in that same time span.

Sorry, I won't lie to you. You have to have "jobs" to have competition for them, right? If you are happy with a Mcjob you will probably do fine.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:42 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Quit your job, sell your stuff and move here. Be sure to have that 5 grand for first/last and a deposit. Then just roll on down to the business of your choice and tell them what job you are interested it. Piece of cake.

Ok, I jest. Just remember, the local success stories you hear are from the people that actually made it. I love my job. Guess what, we haven't hired anyone in my dept in 7 years. On top of that we laid off 500 in that same time span.

Sorry, I won't lie to you. You have to have "jobs" to have competition for them, right? If you are happy with a Mcjob you will probably do fine.
This. It is hard as heck to make it here if you're not from Southern California and I think San Diego is bad even by SoCal standards. That's why people are not encouraging people to come.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:48 PM

Well Im born and raised in SoCal. And as previously stated I moved around a lot with a military husband, and almost every person on this forum tried to talk us out of moving to all the places we moved to. So I take all the "dont move here because" stuff with a grain on salt. And every place says "there are no jobs here" about their area. So if there are no jobs anywhere it doesnt really matter where you live then! Anyways after moving around to different states Im back in my home state CA and thinking of moving out of OC to SD. I wont say there are no jobs here but there is high competition for them and Ive been beaten out by other people for most high paying full time jobs here. I currently have a temp job for $15/hr with no holidays or sick time or medical or dental- so not much of a reason to stay where Im living. Can you tell me what parts of SD are safest without being very high priced? Im not asking for a beach view or big house. Im totally realistic. Im fine with renting a small place within a 20 to 30 min drive to the water. Safe is the most important. Dont need to be near the party scene.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:14 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,424 times
Quote: "San Diego just doesn't have the economy to support the high prices (real estate) that are present. I don't think anyone questions that it is a nice place to live."

Exactly, The salaries just don't match up..

Old 06-24-2015, 02:30 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
Quote: "San Diego just doesn't have the economy to support the high prices (real estate) that are present. I don't think anyone questions that it is a nice place to live."

Exactly, The salaries just don't match up..
Based on the # of people living in SD and the extremely high demand for housing, they must not have to...granted, it would be much nicer if they did.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:35 PM

I live in OC currenly, as stated in my last post. OC has some of the higest real estate, right up there with the mansions of the rich and famous in LA and wealthy of New York. So San Diego real estate doesnt make me go running to some dirt town. But would just like to know about which areas are safe and within a 30 min drive to the beach. Doesnt need to be right on the water or a party area. I have a friend that lives 20 min from San Diego zoo who moved there from OC. She rents a house with 2 other roommates and says its an affordable area but that its ghetto compared to the nicer parts of town. I have visited several times for seaworld and the zoo and to visit friends in LA Mesa but that doesnt tell you what you need to know as far as the safe areas are concerned or areas to avoid.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:35 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl85 View Post
I live in OC currenly, as stated in my last post. OC has some of the higest real estate, right up there with the mansions of the rich and famous in LA and wealthy of New York. So San Diego real estate doesnt make me go running to some dirt town. But would just like to know about which areas are safe and within a 30 min drive to the beach. Doesnt need to be right on the water or a party area. I have a friend that lives 20 min from San Diego zoo who moved there from OC. She rents a house with 2 other roommates and says its an affordable area but that its ghetto compared to the nicer parts of town. I have visited several times for seaworld and the zoo and to visit friends in LA Mesa but that doesnt tell you what you need to know as far as the safe areas are concerned or areas to avoid.
You could try San Marcos and surrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego