Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,099 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are transferring from Japan to North Island, CA in the next few months. We have one child in high school and a baby. We are moving out of military housing and although I see that is an option in the San Diego area through Lincolnmilitary housing we'd like to live "out in town". I have been looking at rentals through craigslist (I know not the best source), Zillow and ahrn which is a site that people can post their house for rent to the military. Our budget is about $2,100 and are looking for a townhouse or house. My husband would really like something close to the base since he will be working early in the am. What areas would you recommend near North Island base, ie safe and good schools. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 08:59 AM

15,143 posts, read 32,481,650 times
North Island is actually on Coronado island, it's connected to San Diego by a bridge, and living there can be pricey. Depending on how many ships are in at time, there can be a long backup to get across the bridge.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:06 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,720,784 times
I don't think you're going to find anything in Coronado in that price range, other than a 2-bedroom apartment (and I'm not certain about that). Too bad there isn't a ferry from North County (San Diego County) to North Island. Anyway, my suggestion is this: Talk to other military families already there. (There HAS to be a group that helps with transitioning. There was one when we went from here to Germany, in The Army, and one when we came back to the states. So call North Island and see what help it has for you.) Secondly, find a place where you want to live and then be concerned about your husband getting to work after that. Dad can always find a way to work. I worked (for almost 30 years) with coworkers who lived 90 minutes from work, and they took a train to and from, everyday. Now, of course, a train not an option for Coronado/North Island. But my point is that Dad will find a way to work. Living in a bad place with bad schools is really not an option, for anyone in your family. At least IMHO.

BTW, I think you're going to love Southern CA. :-)

Old 09-04-2015, 01:44 PM

6,532 posts, read 7,630,103 times
Hi and welcome, what exactly does "out of town" mean.

Do you want to live in a rural area? Outside of the urban inner city? or outside the city limits?

Old 09-05-2015, 02:17 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,138,291 times
Coronado is unlikely at your budget but chedk it out. Imperial beach is more likely and your husband could take the strand to work.

2 Bedroom Apartments for Rent in Imperial Beach, CA

Houses & Homes for Rent in Imperial Beach, CA

Imperial Beach, CA Apartments for Rent - 36 Rentals | Trulia

Apartments for Rent in Coronado, CA - 237 Rentals

Old 09-05-2015, 09:51 PM

199 posts, read 355,411 times
I live on Coronado. Rent is very expensive and some of the houses are rundown, but the quality of life is worth it. I think there is a closed Facebook page called Coronado Rentals. You could see if you can join that, or make contact with all of the local realtors.

Check out Imperial Beach. Lots of Navy families live down there. Rent is much cheaper. Traffic can get heavy on the strand during peak hour.

The Silver Strand might be a viable option as the rent is cheaper than Coronado Village, but you can still get caught in traffic.

Getting on the island in the morning, and off the island in the afternoon is horrific because of the traffic to and from the base.

Goof Luck!

Old 09-05-2015, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,099 times
Thanks everyone for the input!! Malcorub16, I guess "out of town" is a phase we use in the military. It just means not living in base housing. Thanks for the links skelaki. I see that living on the island is out of our financial reach....I know this sounds like a silly question but how many routes are there to get on the island...when I look at maps I think I see two bridges. Thanks again.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:58 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,138,291 times
There are two ways, one is by the Bay Bridge and the other is via the strand. And definitely expect traffic commuting to the base whichever route you or your husband take.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:26 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,417,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileen79 View Post
Thanks everyone for the input!! Malcorub16, I guess "out of town" is a phase we use in the military. It just means not living in base housing. Thanks for the links skelaki. I see that living on the island is out of our financial reach....I know this sounds like a silly question but how many routes are there to get on the island...when I look at maps I think I see two bridges. Thanks again.
I would not rule out living in Lincoln Military housing - I think most of it is nicer than what you would get at your rent price point.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:56 PM

15,143 posts, read 32,481,650 times
Lincoln Military Housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego