Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 02:12 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times

Advertisements

So this is a bit of a random question and may not get many replies, but what are the rules for swimming in Mission Bay? Can you swim there year round? What spots are the best? I am doing my first sprint triathlon next year and while I'm a fairly proficient pool swimmer, I have never done an open water swim before. I'm visiting SD in a few weeks and figured I would try to take advantage of MB being there to practice or at least get somewhat acclimated to the open water as I understand it is very very different from pool swimming. Obviously here in KC it will be getting cold soon and most of the lakes closed after Labor Day. The sprint triathlon I'm doing will be in a lake which is more similar to the bay rather than the ocean so I'm not very interested in doing an open water ocean swim (right now at least). Anyway, any feedback/information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 05:34 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Year round = yes, but you'll want a farmer john

There are multiple spots in the no wake zones but if you can go as a group and have at least a kayak along with a flag. The bay is full of idiot boaters. I train there when I have to. It's better off the cove in LJ but I don't like all these hammers in with warm water.

I have a century ride and want to do a local sprint tri after but we'll see how it goes. I'm a few years out of massive surgery after getting hit by a car on my tri bike while training.

In the back parts of the bay you won't have the rips from the tide swings like you will in the channel. So, it's pretty much like a lake unless the current is really going.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:42 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Year round = yes, but you'll want a farmer john

There are multiple spots in the no wake zones but if you can go as a group and have at least a kayak along with a flag. The bay is full of idiot boaters. I train there when I have to. It's better off the cove in LJ but I don't like all these hammers in with warm water.

I have a century ride and want to do a local sprint tri after but we'll see how it goes. I'm a few years out of massive surgery after getting hit by a car on my tri bike while training.

In the back parts of the bay you won't have the rips from the tide swings like you will in the channel. So, it's pretty much like a lake unless the current is really going.
Thanks! Exactly the info I was looking for. I never swam over there when I lived there, it was always just the ocean. Good idea about the kayak/group... I'll have to see if any of my friends who are still out there would be interested in / capable of doing it with me or at least spotting me on a kayak. When you say back parts of the bay, do you mean like the eastern side of Fiesta Island or De Anza Cove? Do these have no wake zones?

Good luck on the century ride. That really sucks about getting hit but good for you for getting back out there.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Thanks! Exactly the info I was looking for. I never swam over there when I lived there, it was always just the ocean. Good idea about the kayak/group... I'll have to see if any of my friends who are still out there would be interested in / capable of doing it with me or at least spotting me on a kayak. When you say back parts of the bay, do you mean like the eastern side of Fiesta Island or De Anza Cove? Do these have no wake zones?

Good luck on the century ride. That really sucks about getting hit but good for you for getting back out there.
I came close to bonking today after just 3 hours on the bike. Maybe those beers last night weren't such a good idea

It's all no wake except around the radar dome and over by the strip on mission bl close to PB where they allow unlimited speed midday. Just check on the water quality after it rains.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:40 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
1AngryTaxPayer is right about La Jolla Cove. Go there instead of Mission Bay. Lots of people swim from the Cove to a buoy a half mile off the shore and back. There is a lifeguard on duty that can help explain things to you. My friends 65 year old mother swam there all the time.

Here's a video of a guy doing it. Go soon while the ocean water is warm. 77 degrees right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0oJjj6VIqw

Old 09-15-2015, 06:05 PM

Don't swim until Friday after this mess. The pollution will be bad.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:24 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
1AngryTaxPayer is right about La Jolla Cove. Go there instead of Mission Bay. Lots of people swim from the Cove to a buoy a half mile off the shore and back. There is a lifeguard on duty that can help explain things to you. My friends 65 year old mother swam there all the time.

Here's a video of a guy doing it. Go soon while the ocean water is warm. 77 degrees right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0oJjj6VIqw
Watch out for man-eating sharks if open swimming in those warmer waters, especially if seals around like at the cove.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:03 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
So this is a bit of a random question and may not get many replies, but what are the rules for swimming in Mission Bay? Can you swim there year round? What spots are the best? I am doing my first sprint triathlon next year and while I'm a fairly proficient pool swimmer, I have never done an open water swim before. I'm visiting SD in a few weeks and figured I would try to take advantage of MB being there to practice or at least get somewhat acclimated to the open water as I understand it is very very different from pool swimming. Obviously here in KC it will be getting cold soon and most of the lakes closed after Labor Day. The sprint triathlon I'm doing will be in a lake which is more similar to the bay rather than the ocean so I'm not very interested in doing an open water ocean swim (right now at least). Anyway, any feedback/information is appreciated.

Reps, I don't recommend swimming in that bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego