Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 10:17 AM

56 posts, read 128,239 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We'll be in San Diego for a week soon. I'm wondering if I could get some advice on a good beach for my kids. One is elementary age and the other is pre-school age. The youngest one can't really swim yet, though she thinks she can. I'm interested in a beach where they'll be able to find lots of shells and see some creatures.

Also, any recommendations for Filipino restaurants near the suggested beaches, the zoo, SeaWorld, KOA or Hotel Circle? My wife will be looking for good Filipino food while we're there.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 11:19 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
The only place that comes to mind is Children's Beach/cove in LaJolla. But, be aware the bacteria levels are extremely high due to the sea lion and seal population. I would not my child to enter the water there, but that's just my opinion.

Just thinking... Fiesta Island might be a good spot. Shells are minimal everywhere.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:28 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
If you go farther north, there is Buccaneer Beach in Oceanside...used to take the kids there. It's a small beach, has a restroom, outside showers, snack bar, easy parking.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:49 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
We have young kids and we love Del Mar beach and La Jolla Shores is also great. Both you can go in a ways before the tide gets strong. Most times we go to the beach now we just go to Del Mar Beach because it's so close to the house.

There is free parking on the street (but it gets busy during summer) and also a paid parking lot right across from Jakes and Poseidon Restaurant. The beach right around there is nice because they have tons of public restrooms and several showers to rinse off. There is also a lifeguard station right there in front as well which is nice when you have young kids.

Poseidon has a snack shop in the parking lot where they have sandwiches, ice cream, snacks, etc. (Contact Us - Del Mar Snack Shack ). If you get tired of the sand/beach there is a big grassy area up near Jake's Restaurant. And there is a playground. You can also walk up to several places like Starbucks, Bruegger's Bagels, and there is a Pizza place (Del Mar Pizza) there as well that you can order and bring down to the beach.'

If you want more of a sit down meal, Sbicca has great fish tacos. Board and Brew just a few blocks up has amazing sandwiches.

That area is pretty idiot proof with young kids.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:53 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Most of the beaches have some "kid friendly" areas. Del mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas all have playgrounds for kids. Coronado is nice for kids as well.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:54 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
I've seen lots of kids at the beach in Del Mar, and La Jolla Shores (I think what it's called ... the one with the large grassy lot nearby?). I wouldn't swim at the Children's Pool because of the wildlife; I don't know how clean the water would be. Coronado is also a really nice beach.

There might be shells as the tide goes out, but they'll be pretty small. They'll be left over from the birds eating shellfish. But there won't be any at Fiesta Island since that's inside Mission Bay.

Is the pre-schooler too young to be interested in the Tide Pools at Point Loma?

Old 10-11-2015, 11:55 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
First, be aware that the ocean water is probably going to be colder than you might expect. The locals have been raving about how warm our water is this month because the water temperature is hovering in the mid-70s. A lot of folks from elsewhere are surprised that the water temps aren't more tropical.

In terms of seeing sea creatures, I used to really like taking my kids to Scripps Aquarium in La Jolla. It's much smaller than sea world and thus more child friendly, less commercial too, and they have a nice tide pool area where kids can get up close and personal with sea creatures. And it costs about a third of Sea World.

Near Scripps, you'll find La Jolla Shores. This is a broad expanse of sand that my kids always liked. It's a very popular place so not exactly a deserted beach, but a nice one.

A little farther north, Torrey Pines State Park is a great place for walking on the beach with kids, and if your kids are into short hikes, and it's not too warm, there are beautiful trails up at the top of the park that take you past Torrey Pines, which are rare trees that can only be found in the Park and on an island out at sea. Stop in the Ranger's building to ask which trails would be best for younger kids. My kids always loved Torrey Pines, and still go there as adults.

Another tip: Balboa Park has some GREAT things for young kids besides the zoo. The Model Train Museum, the Reuben H. Fleet Museum (hands on activities) and the Marie Hitchcock Puppet Museum among them. There's also a nice playground on Park Blvd just below the museums. When my kids were your kids' ages, they also loved all the performers on the Prado weekends, and just exploring the reflecting pool and Botanical Building there. (Also, the zoo is much better than the SD Safari Park for kids your kids' ages). Here's a link with more information: Just for Kids | Balboa Park

In terms of Filipino restaurants, I'm not aware of many near Sea World, but there are quite a few in Mira Mesa. If you do a search on Yelp.com for "San Diego Filipinio" you'll turn up a good starter list. But, Mira Mesa is not near downtown (you could, however, swing by on your way back from Torrey Pines and Scripps).

Old 10-11-2015, 11:59 AM

Just noticed that you'll be staying in Hotel Circle but we've mainly mentioned North County beaches.

The closest beaches if you're staying in Hotel Circle will be Mission Beach and Pacific Beach. If you want a really safe beach for kids, with a playground, Bonita Cove in Mission Beach is very nice. It's not an ocean beach; it's bayside. But, nice for an afternoon of paddling in very calm salt water. The Mission Beach amusement park, with its coaster, isn't far from there. Bonita Cove | Park & Recreation

Another nice family beach is Coronado Beach, which is over the bridge.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:03 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Torrey Pines is great as RosieSD mentioned, however keep in mind a few friends told me with the water restrictions they said the showers were turned off there to clean off. Not the case in Del Mar.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:04 PM

Here's an article about the best Filipinio restaurants in San Diego. Be sure to verify that they're all still open. You can use Google Maps to see how far they are from where you're staying.

Anthony Sinsay Tells You Where to Eat Filipino Food - Eater San Diego

I've eaten in Tita's in National City, which is mentioned in the article and was very good, but that isn't by any beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego