Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 03:51 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times

Advertisements

I think Aldi stands a chance because it minimizes overhead so it can offer lower prices. As long as it offers quality stuff at the lower prices, even economically better-off customers will buy there. Aldi isn't like any grocery stores around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 04:08 PM

94 posts, read 92,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I don't know them well.. are they a typical high-square footage supermarket footprint? If so, I can't imagine they will do any better than anyone else. If they are a small-square-footage, storefront type store, they could do very well, assuming they choose the best possible locations.
It's a limited assortment grocery store. Store size about 17-18,000 sq ft. They sell decent quality food products at very low prices. It's normally called a discounter. Aldi is one of the most successfull food retailer in the world. I am pretty sure they will do very well in SoCal. They seem especially successfull in Florida and in the Houston area.

They have built a 850,000 sq ft distribution center in Moreno Valley, that allegedly can serve up to 200 stores.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:20 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I just don't understand where they get the data that shows all this demand. I would love to see the market studies they did. I understand the market potential anywhere in SoCal will be huge due to the high density and big population. But the reality is that unless you are replacing a Vons with something else, there is just so much choice, everyone has a car, and it's so easy to vote with your feet and go to TJ's, Sprouts, Whole Foods, Costco and never set foot in a traditional supermarket. My opinion is that a high end market with high prices in a high-end location will do well. Similarly a latino grocer in a primarily latino area will do well. But if you are a middle-of-the-road grocer in a middle class location, you are going to get crushed by Walmart, Costco, Target, Trader Joes, Sprouts / Henry's,etc.
I like Fresh & Easy, but you can forget about it easily, and I think that is what happened. I hadnt been there for months and it is close by.

I shop at Sprouts, TJ, Costco, and Whole Foods sometimes.

The 'Latino' (Mexican) grocery stores are actually drawing very diverse crowds- I go to Pancho Villas and Northgate and there are all types of people shopping there. I MUST get my tortillas and other Mexican goods from these places!

Old 10-22-2015, 10:29 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I like Fresh & Easy, but you can forget about it easily, and I think that is what happened. I hadnt been there for months and it is close by.
I went once (maybe in Chula Vista), BullBoxer31urftheriveter, and indeed it was ok-good but easily forgetable, lol.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:08 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
I went once (maybe in Chula Vista), BullBoxer31urftheriveter, and indeed it was ok-good but easily forgetable, lol.
The riveter- I like it!

Old 10-23-2015, 12:22 AM

601 posts, read 1,452,017 times
With all these supermarket closures.....
I hope they open more Seafood City, Zion, H-Mart and Northgate Markets in their places.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:27 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5 View Post
I hope they open more Seafood City, Zion, H-Mart and Northgate Markets in their places.
I've never heard of Seafood City . . . but I know I'd like it!

Old 10-23-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiannight View Post
It's a limited assortment grocery store. Store size about 17-18,000 sq ft. They sell decent quality food products at very low prices. It's normally called a discounter. Aldi is one of the most successfull food retailer in the world. I am pretty sure they will do very well in SoCal. They seem especially successfull in Florida and in the Houston area.

They have built a 850,000 sq ft distribution center in Moreno Valley, that allegedly can serve up to 200 stores.
I wonder if they'll lose out to WinCo, though, which has the same business model (minimize overhead to reduce prices) but much larger stores with much more selection.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:54 AM

Ooh! Northgate Market in RP, pleeeeeeeze!!!!

Old 10-23-2015, 01:26 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5 View Post
Me, too. Still can't believe there is only on 99 Ranch location in the entire county! And we can't forget about the Japanese markets....Mitsuwa and Marukai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego