Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:31 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Oh...it comes from the south, too - you should hear how my friends & I have stereotyped NorCo moms in our own snotty-city-of-San-Diego way. Some of it IS true but a lot of it is just plain wrong. Now, I have to keep my mouth shut because I'm on the verge of becoming a NorCo mom and am now living amongst my NorCo mom friends. LOL
We have a buddy who is a teacher at La Jolla Country Day, and the stories about the North County Moms are epic. Juicy Couture and Escalades vs the Louis bags and BMW's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 04:47 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,154,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
We have a buddy who is a teacher at La Jolla Country Day, and the stories about the North County Moms are epic. Juicy Couture and Escalades vs the Louis bags and BMW's.
If you can afford a house in the North County and tuition at LJCD ($20k/year/kid), Louis bags and BMWs should not be a financial strain.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:48 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,127,271 times
Quote:
Well, my a** is too wide for Juicy Couture, I'm not into gas guzzlers, I can't fathom spending over 1-2k on vinyl and well, too bad BMW doesn't have a mini-van.

Truthfully? There are a lot of KIDS sporting those things from Carmel Valley & further north, too. I sure as heck wouldn't want to spend a bijillion dollars on something that HS kids are carrying around the hallways of their schools.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
If you can afford a house in the North County and tuition at LJCD ($20k/year/kid), Louis bags and BMWs should not be a financial strain.
Hell I got my wife a Coach bag for Christmas this year ;-)

Old 02-04-2008, 06:52 PM

60 posts, read 224,382 times
Default What's the Tierrasanta stereotype?

After reading this thread for a while, I'm curious: what is the stereotypical Tierrasanta resident like? We plan to move there (from Texas) this summer.

And what are the teens like? Do they all get BMWs at 16, or is that a ridiculous (and stereotypical) question?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHudson View Post
After reading this thread for a while, I'm curious: what is the stereotypical Tierrasanta resident like? We plan to move there (from Texas) this summer.

And what are the teens like? Do they all get BMWs at 16, or is that a ridiculous (and stereotypical) question?
Tierrasanta is an established community and is more socioeconomically mixed than many of the new developements,and as a result of the military housing there. I wouldn't say the area has any cohesive identity or stereotype aside from fairly typical anywhere-in-the-west upper-middle-class suburbia.

It is not considered upscale nor downscale by San Diego standards but is in fact one of the more desirable communities in SD. It has that 70-80's tract home look that you either love or hate, and SDUSD schools which are a turnoff for many families, BUT they have good neighborhood schools and a good high school (rare in SDUSD). I am not sure if the kids from Serra Mesa go there, I know Allied Gardens kids go to Patrick Henry.

Tierrasanta is cool because it is a little geographic island up there. You are hemmed in on the south and west with freeways and hills on the east and north. There is limited North/South access but it is still convenient to 2 freeways and you don't have to go past I-15. Personally I think it is more convenient than most of Scripps Ranch and a better value for basically the same thing.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:33 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,744,290 times
Quote:
It's typical. Personally, working in North County and living in the City, I hear a lot more stereotyping going from North to South than the other way around. I've been told that we "live like rats" in "the ghetto" on more occasions than I'd like to remember.

The interesting thing to me is how many North County-ites - especially people in Carlsbad, O'side, and the 78 corridor, have never even been to Balboa Park! I am stunned when they say they've never been there.
I can relate here. My job is in Sorrento Valley and work with someone that lives in North County (grew up in Escondido). I about fell over when she told me that she knew nothing about UTC and La Jolla or anywhere south of there! I was like, "Are you kidding me?" She said she knows the airport and Petco Park - that's it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampaguita
Truthfully? There are a lot of KIDS sporting those things from Carmel Valley & further north, too. I sure as heck wouldn't want to spend a bijillion dollars on something that HS kids are carrying around the hallways of their schools.
My friends that live in Carmel Valley have been going broke for years trying to keep up with the Joneses!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:55 PM

489 posts, read 1,957,300 times
[quote=Sassberto;2711623]Squint your eyes and you can barely tell the two from each other, with the biggest difference being that 4S is about 2 years old and parts of Otay Ranch are probably looking at almost 20 years by now.

Many people think that "Eastlake" and "Otay Ranch" are one and the same--they are not. The first phase of Eastlake was built in 1987 so is now 21 years. Otay Ranch (named for the ranch it sits on) is a separate planned community from Eastlake, and development began I believe around 2001. Up until about 2000, there were still cattle grazing on the hills where Otay Ranch now stands, so the homes are quite a bit newer than many of those in Eastlake but, yes, there are still many foreclosures in Otay.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:14 PM

489 posts, read 1,957,300 times
[quote=esmith143;2712044]many white people don't want to live in what's technically still Chula Juana. Even if it's every single bit as nice as 4S.

I was really hoping we could get through this thread without the very outdated "Chula Juana" label. It inevitably pops up in any thread about South Bay, usually by people totally unfamiliar with the South Bay. Those of us who live in "East Chula Juana" know that the homes and the area are as nice as its "more ethnically clean" North County counterparts, (I personally like diversity), but I guess that is and will remain a best kept secret with those of us down here!

Maybe you should take a Sunday drive to "East Chula Juana" some day--you will be quite surprised by what you see.

I don't wish to start any conflict here, just defending the area I call home.

Oh, and I should mention that I am white, technically living in "Chula Juana"

Last edited by jkoz; 02-05-2008 at 09:13 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 03:11 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,578,053 times
jkoz is 100 percent correct.I'd pick the whole S.Bay over any of the North County.The diversity down here is much greater,people are very nice,and it is a little more real.East,West it shouldn't matter.CV is a great place.There are plenty of Developments that are just as nice as that 4S place,minus the traffic and rude people.I just wouldn't see why you would want to live in 4S.

Oh,and I should mention that I am black,technically living in "Chula Juana"
I gotcha jkoz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego