Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:21 PM

786 posts, read 3,924,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
jkoz is 100 percent correct.I'd pick the whole S.Bay over any of the North County.The diversity down here is much greater,people are very nice,and it is a little more real.East,West it shouldn't matter.CV is a great place.There are plenty of Developments that are just as nice as that 4S place,minus the traffic and rude people.I just wouldn't see why you would want to live in 4S.

Oh,and I should mention that I am black,technically living in "Chula Juana"
I gotcha jkoz.
Traffic and rude people? Have you even been to 4S before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 04:21 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,978 times
Yep
Had a friend that lived there in 2005 and 2006.Even he didn't like it so he moved to the PB area.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:53 PM

786 posts, read 3,924,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Yep
Had a friend that lived there in 2005 and 2006.Even he didn't like it so he moved to the PB area.
It would be nice if we could just appreciate all the diversity San Diego has to offer without having to bash other areas. I live in 4S and although it is not perfect, it is nice. I'm sure there are nice things about South Bay too. I am glad you like where you live.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:25 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,150,568 times
Quote:
Maybe you should take a Sunday drive to "East Chula Juana" some day--you will be quite surprised by what you see.
I've been to East Chula Juana and I know what it's like. My point is, quite a few people working and living in North County (maybe a few hundred thousand) would not even bother to look at Otay Ranch when they choose a place to live. In fact many of them would not consider anything south of 8. That is why Otay Ranch is cheaper than 4S. It's even cheaper than San Elijo Hills, despite being far more centrally located and more accessible.

Quote:
Even he didn't like it so he moved to the PB area.
Ha ha. He didn't like 4S traffic so he moved to PB. Priceless.

Last edited by esmith143; 02-06-2008 at 06:23 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 06:05 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,150,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz
Many people think that "Eastlake" and "Otay Ranch" are one and the same--they are not. The first phase of Eastlake was built in 1987 so is now 21 years. Otay Ranch (named for the ranch it sits on) is a separate planned community from Eastlake, and development began I believe around 2001. Up until about 2000, there were still cattle grazing on the hills where Otay Ranch now stands, so the homes are quite a bit newer than many of those in Eastlake but, yes, there are still many foreclosures in Otay.
Okay if you want to get technical:

"Eastlake" is the part of ECJ east of 125 and north of Olympic Parkway, plus a chunk of land west of 125 and north of Otay Lakes Rd surrounding the tiny lake.

"Otay Ranch" is everything else. For example, houses northeast of Olympic Parkway exit off 125 belong to "Eastlake Summit" but houses directly across the street from them are "Windingwalk at Otay Ranch". Both were built at the same time (in 2004-2005) but they belong to different planned communities.

Northwestern part of Eastlake (near Otay Lakes Rd exit) was built in early 1990's. Everything else in ECJ was built in 1999-2007.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:37 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
It would be nice if we could just appreciate all the diversity San Diego has to offer without having to bash other areas. I live in 4S and although it is not perfect, it is nice. I'm sure there are nice things about South Bay too. I am glad you like where you live.
I totally agree with you--but I never hear anyone say "Escondidy-juana", yet there are at least as many, if not more Hispanics, in that area. . . .and a high number of Hispanics does not automatically make an area "bad" anyway. Many areas take a bad rap, but Chula Vista always seems to take the hardest. "Nothing south of 8" and "Chula Juana" are sorely outdated cliches from 30 years ago that simply no longer apply, but I am always amazed at how many people still use them.

I've never seen "4S Ranch"--I am sure it is nice. I love downtown S.D., Balboa Park, Coronado, etc. so North County does not appeal to me as I don't want to be 35+ miles away from all of that, and I love diversity, but that is me.

C.V. gets treated like the "toilet" of the county, often by people unfamiliar with it, so I feel compelled to defend it.

Last edited by jkoz; 02-06-2008 at 07:20 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 09:25 PM

181 posts, read 891,948 times
ok, this is turning into a "defend the place you live thread" and so I am gonna add my two cents. I have lived all over san diego county and I have to agree that all areas of san diego have there good and bad points, and depending on your personality and where you are in life, some areas will suite you better than others. And I also have to say not everyone living in North county fits the stereotype of juicy sweats and bmw's! There are plenty of nice down to earth people here. Just like everywhere else in SD.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:03 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkad View Post
ok, this is turning into a "defend the place you live thread" and so I am gonna add my two cents. I have lived all over san diego county and I have to agree that all areas of san diego have there good and bad points, and depending on your personality and where you are in life, some areas will suite you better than others. And I also have to say not everyone living in North county fits the stereotype of juicy sweats and bmw's! There are plenty of nice down to earth people here. Just like everywhere else in SD.
Different strokes for different folks, and you are right, the stereotypes rarely fit reality. I'll stick with my shack in the ghetto, I don't feel like I need to defend it anyway.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 PM

20 posts, read 131,614 times
4S Ranch is nice, but somewhat cookie cutter and bland. You will get hit with Mello Roos and other fees they tack on. A friend there pays in the neighborhood of 1.6% annual property tax.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:05 PM
BNB

172 posts, read 691,970 times
I have discovered that I perfer very laid back down to earth folks who are not focused on what car they drive or how much money they make. I have found that more people (that I have had contact with) in the north county/4S area were too into their status. Even though my income matched theirs, that is not who I am, so I am turned off by that. Life is short. Riches come and go. People matter. Sappy yes. But it is a truth that I feel in my heart. Hubby and I live in Clairmont now...and really love the laid back realness (yeah, that is probably not a word) of the people that I live around. I live in a nice neighborhood and enjoy bbqs with my neighbors and just kicking it with good folks. We are moving to TN this fall. We love the people, the slower pace of life, lower cost of living and four seasons. TN gets a smattering of snow every winter and Here's to a snow day once in a while! :-)

I love SD and my family lives here..but I want a deeper quality of life...more time for me and hubby to enjoy our lives. TN has beautiful lakes, open green space and we can afford to live there and not work so damn hard for a better quality of life. We can afford a couple of acres, a nice home and a better commute, no income taxes, better roads (yes MUCH BETTER than in CA) and people that still know what hospitality and friendliness is.

This is not a slam to you, readers,...but my impression of lot of people who I interact with on many days here in So. CA. It makes me sad.

Ms. BNB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego