Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:05 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times

Advertisements

You can do it, but you may have to cut some corners in your lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 09:17 PM

371 posts, read 378,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
You can do it, but you may have to cut some corners in your lifestyle.
What if I rent in Temecula, I know blauskies say's it too far but the rentals there are more affordable even when compared to here or comparable, I cannot rent a nice house here for what I saw in Temecula, we do not need a big house and would be fine in a 2/2 garage not really required but would be nice.

Food appears to be less in the area there compared to here, I walked around Von's and was amazed at how much lower items were. I bought some bottled water and noticed the CRV charge, something that I'm not use to but I take it you can return these at a recycling center and get your money back though I don't know if people bother? Here we just put out bins along the street once a week with recyclables.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:27 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high_plains_drifter View Post
Hi, My wife is open about it, supportive of my decisions. She works remotely from home, so her job can go with her there and won't be a problem.

The job for me would be more interesting and challenging and would surely deepen my existing skills along with adding new ones, but I just don't know if it is my dream job at this point? I think just being there will lead to better opportunity in 5 years opposed to staying here where my career and salary has been quite stagnant and even went in reverse after some job losses.
You're lucky to have such a supportive wife.

It sounds like you think it would be a positive move. Yes, the starting salary may be just a bit less than you expected, but since you have two incomes, and will still be earning more than you do now, any difference in cost of living will likely be manageable. Of course, only you and your wife can make the final decision, but it sounds like you are doing a good job of weighing the pluses and minuses. Ultimately, trust your gut instinct on what is right for you and your wife.

If you do decide to head West, in terms of finding a place to live, you've really only just scratched the surface in North County. In addition to Carlsbad, Vista, and Temecula, there's Fallbrook, San Marcos, Oceanside Encinitas, Rancho Bernardo and Poway, as well as many other areas to consider. More spread out areas like Fallbrook might be more likely to have rentals that allow pets.

Again, only you and your wife can make this decision, and it is probably too important a choice to rely on the advice of strangers on the internet but I wish you all the best whatever you two decide!

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-28-2016 at 09:40 PM..

Old 01-28-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
What if I rent in Temecula, I know blauskies say's it too far but the rentals there are more affordable even when compared to here or comparable, I cannot rent a nice house here for what I saw in Temecula, we do not need a big house and would be fine in a 2/2 garage not really required but would be nice.

Food appears to be less in the area there compared to here, I walked around Von's and was amazed at how much lower items were. I bought some bottled water and noticed the CRV charge, something that I'm not use to but I take it you can return these at a recycling center and get your money back though I don't know if people bother? Here we just put out bins along the street once a week with recyclables.
I know people who commute from Temecula to downtown San Diego every day.

The key with Temecula is where the rental is located. There really is only one major freeway (the 15) into and out of Temecula to San Diego County, so you want to try to be as far south as possible. Also, as Temecula has built up, some of the developments there are farther from 15 than others, and that can add drive time.

But, yes, you could commute from Temecula to Carlsbad, and while some days will be worse than others, if your house is close to the 15 and towards the southern end of Temecula, it won't be horrible. Also look at Fallbrook and maybe San Marcos.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
You're lucky to have such a supportive wife.

It sounds like you think it would be a positive move. Yes, the starting salary may be just a bit less than you expected, but since you have two incomes, and will still be earning more than you do now, any difference in cost of living will likely be manageable. Of course, only you and your wife can make the final decision, but it sounds like you are doing a good job of weighing the pluses and minuses. Ultimately, trust your gut instinct on what is right for you and your wife.

If you do decide to head West, in terms of finding a place to live, you've really only just scratched the surface in North County. In addition to Carlsbad, Vista, and Temecula, there's Fallbrook, San Marcos, Oceanside Encinitas, Rancho Bernardo and Poway, as well as many other areas to consider. More spread out areas like Fallbrook might be more likely to have rentals that allow pets.

Again, only you and your wife can make this decision, and it is probably too important a choice to rely on the advice of strangers on the internet but I wish you all the best whatever you two decide!

Thanks, yes she is supportive but I still hate uprooting her from her friends here.

The salary is still bugging me, they said higher but came in lower, to me bonuses are great but like blauskies stated taxes will drop that down substantially after taxes. I would rather go in at what I want and take no signing bonus and have relocation provided upfront company paid instead and I already calculated the moving expenses for belongings and 1 car to be around $4,000 or less, using Pods or some other container service and auto transport. We do not own much, are sorta minimalists and would even get rid of some things.

I also did not get out to all those places you mentioned, the more I think about it I wish I drove and got an idea on the traffic and possible commute.

Quote:
I know people who commute from Temecula to downtown San Diego every day.

The key with Temecula is where the rental is located. There really is only one major freeway (the 15) into and out of Temecula to San Diego County, so you want to try to be as far south as possible. Also, as Temecula has built up, some of the developments there are farther from 15 than others, and that can add drive time.

But, yes, you could commute from Temecula to Carlsbad, and while some days will be worse than others, if your house is close to the 15 and towards the southern end of Temecula, it won't be horrible. Also look at Fallbrook and maybe San Marcos.
Is Temecula nice and has everything like stores and shopping so you do not have to drive far to get things?

Old 01-29-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
T

Is Temecula nice and has everything like stores and shopping so you do not have to drive far to get things?
Temecula has everything you need. It has grown into a very suburban, family-oriented area. It does get hotter in the summer than it will be closer to the coast, but coming from florida, I suspect you are used to using air conditioning in the summer.

But, if you decide to take the job, you can figure out whether Temecula is the right place for you guys, after you've had a chance to explore more of the North County San Diego area.

I can definitely understand how a low ball offer would make you pause about taking the position. I'm sure, however, that you'll make a good choice, whatever you decide. It sounds like you aren't in any rush to change jobs, so don't stress if this isn't the right one for you. They'll be other opportunities. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Temecula has everything you need. It has grown into a very suburban, family-oriented area. It does get hotter in the summer than it will be closer to the coast, but coming from florida, I suspect you are used to using air conditioning in the summer.

But, if you decide to take the job, you can figure out whether Temecula is the right place for you guys, after you've had a chance to explore more of the North County San Diego area.

I can definitely understand how a low ball offer would make you pause about taking the position. I'm sure, however, that you'll make a good choice, whatever you decide. It sounds like you aren't in any rush to change jobs, so don't stress if this isn't the right one for you. They'll be other opportunities. Good luck!
Thanks again, yes our A/C is on here probably on average all year occasionally during the winter months which is right about now, we can turn it off a few days or a week.

I should have driven out to Temecula but I stayed near the coast, rental prices are better than here where 1 bedroom apartments medians are $1,500 per month, not that we need a big house but I see houses for rent there for $1,800 to $2,000, comparable house here would be $2,700 to $3,000 per month and wages are a lot lower here on average.

Well my current job is contract, I suspect they will make me a full-time offer since it was mentioned and they really like me, problem is I am not really interested in the work and the pay is not great and they are not known for paying great salaries.

I have a love/hate relationship with South Florida lately the needle is leaning more to the right, reason I want to leave and my wife is finally seeing it.

Decisions Decisions

Old 02-06-2016, 01:39 PM

Update

After trying to negotiate the salary with the company I decided to withdrawal and said thank you but I'm moving on to other leads, ironically I am in current discussions with another company in the area that I networked with the Engineering Manager of a good friend of mine and he flat out asked me my salary range and said that won't be a problem at all, the company is noted for paying better according to my good friend.

Back to Company #1, I told them I did not want the $16K sign-on bonus or the 6% potential bonus the first year, just the salary, no relocation is needed as we have ample funds to do the move ourselves. I was told they could not do the $6,000 increase because of allocated department budgets. I told them on the phone prior and during the interview, that I do not need any relocation funds, but it appears they must be getting some tax break from the sign-on bonus? Also I'm working through a direct company recruiter and staff, so there is no commission % to factor in with an external source.

The guy was really taken back when I got off the phone yesterday, there was dead air and then I hear "I'm sorry to hear that, as we were really interested in you joining the team". I was in my head saying, obviously not since you tell me the range but won't give me what I asked for to make it happen. Before I hung up, he goes "well sleep on it over the weekend and maybe you will change your mind".

I also heard this during the conversation "we have Engineers here working for $75,000 and they can live here without issues". I was like, am I talking to a company in South Florida? So maybe it is true what they say about San Diego?

I have another phone call with company #2 this Wednesday, then possibly another trip out for a onsite interview, I hope that the this will change my opinion of the area and employers. Just not worth it to move out there for less when figuring in the tax increases, personal state income and sales, along with other higher expenses. I calculated some savings compared to here, but much of it is balanced out with the other factors. Not even crossing the path of buying, we have money saved for a down payment and probably would qualify for good housing purchase with my Wife's income being mobile and if I can get what I'm after. I am cautious of buying anything till I figure out the area and housing values dropping, plus we have no desire for anything lavish or a big house, just trying to save for retirement and investments.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:

I also heard this during the conversation "we have Engineers here working for $75,000 and they can live here without issues". I was like, am I talking to a company in South Florida? So maybe it is true what they say about San Diego?
Some companies will pay more, but they are the rarity. Some companies feel that the "privilege" of living in SoCal for their employees, means some will take less, or just enough, to be able to live there.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:00 PM

147 posts, read 217,529 times
I asked before about commuting from Murrieta/Temecula area down to San Diego and most people said it's a bad idea since the 15 can get pretty bad. I use to work in Temecula so I have an idea, and I have driven from Temecula to San Diego several times, but as far as a daily commute I'm not sure how that would go. You would have to leave at certain times to avoid the rush hour traffic. Temecula has very nice houses in good areas for reasonable prices. So I still somewhat think if it's worth the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego