Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 09:27 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Walmart can do an oil change cheaper than you doing it yourself FYI.

My oil burner take 3.5 gallon. New filter and done for 65 bucks.

What kind of vehicle do you have that has a capacity of 3.5 Gallons (14 Quarts) of oil ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 12:42 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
What kind of vehicle do you have that has a capacity of 3.5 Gallons (14 Quarts) of oil ??
diesel truck

Sucks to try to dispose of it

Old 12-13-2015, 12:50 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times
^^ I thought you were referring to your beamer ATP.

I take mine to Wal Mart and shop while I wait.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^ I thought you were referring to your beamer ATP.

I take mine to Wal Mart and shop while I wait.
Ha. Nope, beemer takes some weird synthetic. I shop too while I'm waiting. Or, I just hang out in the sporting goods to see what all I can't afford.

Specs for my motor

http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/73psd.html
Oil Capacity:
12 - 15 quarts, refer to owners manual.
Engine Weight:
Approx. 920 lbs dry.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:02 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Man you Guys are brave!
I would never take my car to one of the those, "EZ Fill Oil Places". Sears and maybe Walmart if i was Desperate and short on time.
Either me, my mechanic or Bob Stall Chevrolet( if they have coupons) Touch my car

Old 12-14-2015, 06:20 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Man you Guys are brave!
I would never take my car to one of the those, "EZ Fill Oil Places". Sears and maybe Walmart if i was Desperate and short on time.
Either me, my mechanic or Bob Stall Chevrolet( if they have coupons) Touch my car
Agree!

Old 12-14-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Man you Guys are brave!
A Ford wrench turned me on to WM.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:46 PM

57 posts, read 53,314 times
Resurrecting this thread on oil change topic.

Is Walmart still a go to place in SD for a decent oil change and/or tire rotation? I got an old Honda Accord. I am wary about going to instant oil change places.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:35 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Try Valvoline instant oil change on the Blvd, or SynFast oil change. Many of these places will try to upsell you other stuff you might not need. If an oil change is all you're getting done, then that's ok, but anything else, even a transmission fluid flush or drain and refill, I wouldn't do it and instead take your car to an actual mechanic.

And because of the lack of experience of many of the employees, and the lack of general automotive knowledge, I wouldn't trust them to touch my car if my life depended on it. They don't get paid enough to take their job seriously either, and one minor mistake on their part can be costly for you.

Also for what they charge, you can go to walmart and buy a 5 quart jug of Full Synthetic oil for like $25, and an oil filter for like $5 or less and have a friend do the job for you. Most likely a Jiffy or a Valvoline will charge over $50 and up for full syn oil.
Actually a 5 qt jug of supertech full syn and a supertech made in USA filter cost less than $18 plus tax. Quite the deal.
I did that for a friend recently though its the kind of car I hate working on. Hyundai accent bottom feeder econobox no way to get a floor jack under it without bending something. Just dont like garbage cars. Oh well its so light that what bends isnt too bad.
I put mobil one in my odyssey wally world sells it for $25.
Any of those oil change places are okay i rarely use em. Refuse all upgrades but do listen to anything they describe as amiss underneath.

They cant make money at 19.99 so dont blame them for selling... but I laughed when syntec told me they could upgrade the viscosity for addl' 10 dollars. Conventional to synthetic.... $25 to $80.... no thanks. I have a honda odyssey you need to drain and fill the tranny every other oil change I can only imagine the rape I would get paying someone to do that. Its not for the novice you need a 25" breaker bar and 2 ft of extensions just to get the fill cap off every time. To drain fully jack the car pull the plug then lower almost to the ground to get it all out then jack it again to reinstall the plug. Not a big deal once you do it.
Honda transmissions use straight cut not helical gears the heat destroys even their special fluid if you dont renew it regularly you will get 60-75k out of the tranny.
In case anyone cared lol.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:48 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn24 View Post
Resurrecting this thread on oil change topic.

Is Walmart still a go to place in SD for a decent oil change and/or tire rotation? I got an old Honda Accord. I am wary about going to instant oil change places.
Theyre as bad as anyone but as a large corporation with rules checks and balances its unlikely they will leave your fill plug loose.
(I buy all my tires there the work order requires they spec the torque setting used on each wheel. Think they do the same for the fill plugs)

Biggest complaint I hear about walmart is wait time. Depends on when you show up but dont show up late in the day like you would do at the DMV. (Best time, get in the door and theyre in a rush to go home) walmart service managers typically stop taking new orders 2 or more hours before closing. Apparently not paying overtime takes priority over sales numbers, at least for keeping their managers off their backs. Boss doesnt know you turned people away but they do see the time cards.
Personally I think mid morning tues-thurs would be ideal. Others might say 7 am.
I have waited nearly 3 hours several times for a tire install when it was busy. Yes you can shop but thats a lot of shopping.
As for their work well reach under with a rag and try to unscrew the filter and plug. Then check the dipstick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego