Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 08:45 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times

Advertisements

I had to pick up some prescription cat food from my vet yesterday, and his practice is in the EV. I walked down 7th Avenue from the City College Trolley Station, and there were homeless people with tents camped out up all along the block of 7th Avenue where the Salvation Army building is. The stench of urine on that block was horrible, and there was trash all over the place.

I'm really surprised that no one has done anything about that yet, even though it's by Salvation Army. There's also a block of closed up stores with graffiti on Broadway between 7th & 8th, and the market is relocating. I guess when the market is finished moving the buildings are going to be torn down, and apartments or condos built on the block. It looks pretty bad right now, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 08:33 AM

401 posts, read 444,692 times
I live downtown, and ya 7th and 8th aves. are ones to avoid, since like you mentioned development has sort of lagged along those streets, so naturally the homeless find refuge there (in addition to the Salvation Army, the abandoned library, etc.) I'm sorry you had a bad experience, unfortunately it will take some time to improve (there are plans for a Ritz and a Wholefoods, plus the old library is being decided on.)

The situation is that as development is ramping up, homeless have no where to really go, and the city is feeling the pressure by the uppity residents finding homes here now to deal with the situation. We might see some real headway into the issue. It actually costs taxpayers less to put a vet into a home than it is to put them through the justice system ad nauseum, so it seems to be the new approach the city is pushing for. Let's hope it works.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:56 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
moved, we were down there yesterday and I totally agree. Is that Salvation Army somewhat new or did they just put the sign out front? I dont even recall passing by it before.

It has certainly seen better days and I am still baffled why the temporary shelter was removed for the winter.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:53 AM

Flying Dutchman, I didn't have a bad experience, I was just surprised. I lived at 14th & Market from 2002-2008, before all the high rises were built in the EV. Back then the homeless would set up their tents and congregate by and across from Public Storage on 16th Street. I was just surprised that they were set up during the day, because in a lot of locations, SDPD makes them move by 6am. I was also suprised that no one has done anything about the smell.

Shmoov, That Salvation Army building has been there for a long time. I think the winter shelter was closed due to lack of funds. Also, Family Health Center has dibs on that piece of land because they're going to build another Family Health Center Clinic on it.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:12 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'm really surprised that no one has done anything about that yet, even though it's by Salvation Army. There's also a block of closed up stores with graffiti on Broadway between 7th & 8th, and the market is relocating. I guess when the market is finished moving the buildings are going to be torn down, and apartments or condos built on the block. It looks pretty bad right now, though.
That entire block is going to be razed. Check out what they're going up in its place.

Bosa Development Buys Mixed-Use Development Site in San Diego for $33M | REBusinessOnline

Old 01-25-2016, 09:12 PM

I expected to be razed, but didn't know when. I guess the residents of the SRO that's on 8th, will get a payout since they'll have to move.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:24 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I expected to be razed, but didn't know when. I guess the residents of the SRO that's on 8th, will get a payout since they'll have to move.
That's the unfortunate thing. I hope the developer pays to relocate them.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
That's the unfortunate thing. I hope the developer pays to relocate them.
I'm sure they will. When the Pickwick Hotel was going to be turned in the Sofia Hotel, all of the residents got relocation money.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:39 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
It's a mess from 8th ave over... Much worse than it was even in the 90's

Old 01-26-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
It's a mess from 8th ave over... Much worse than it was even in the 90's
That's for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: