Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:36 PM

24 posts, read 102,001 times

Advertisements

I've been researching where to settle down and start a family and I think that Carmel Valley in SD county might be perfect. On paper it sounds great but I'd love to hear from some people that have lived there or really know the area. Here are some Q's that I have:
1. how much marine layer is there, is it gloomy in the mornings all year?
2. Is there pretty neighborhoods or are they all cookie cutter, prefab, non-landscaped (no trees and green)?
3. Is there a variety of hiking available, how close, and is there any green, or is it all scrub?
4. How long of a drive is it to San Diego, for instance, the zoo, sea world, shopping, target and wholefoods?
5. Are the people friendly and down to earth?
6. Is there a lot for families with small children to do?
7. Are there homes with the views of the ocean in the far distant, and/or of the sunset...I really want to see the sunset over a pretty horizon, whether it's the ocean or pretty hills, just pretty...is that possible...
8. Does CV lie in the shadow of the mountain, so it's gets darker earlier than other areas?

Thank you sooooo much for helping!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 04:03 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeisness View Post
1. how much marine layer is there, is it gloomy in the mornings all year?
It's very close to the ocean so yes, there is marine layer.

Quote:
2. Is there pretty neighborhoods or are they all cookie cutter, prefab, non-landscaped (no trees and green)?
One of the highest-density tract areas in San Diego, it is more dense than many parts of SD city. All cookie cutter tracts with the exception of some of the stuff south of 56. Check the sat photos, it looks like many of the SFR's are zoned at 20+/acre

Quote:
3. Is there a variety of hiking available, how close, and is there any green, or is it all scrub?
Almost all scrub, some hiking available in the Black Mountain area. More in Poway.

Quote:
4. How long of a drive is it to San Diego, for instance, the zoo, sea world, shopping, target and wholefoods?
About 30-40 minutes depending on traffic. Major chain stores are all nearby in mega stripmalls.

Quote:
5. Are the people friendly and down to earth?
Lots of bimmers, range rovers, fake tans, yuppies, techies.

Quote:
6. Is there a lot for families with small children to do?
Lots of parks and great schools

Quote:
7. Are there homes with the views of the ocean in the far distant, and/or of the sunset...I really want to see the sunset over a pretty horizon, whether it's the ocean or pretty hills, just pretty...is that possible...
Yes, as long as you have about 1.5-2 million to spend. Moreso just south of 56.

Quote:
8. Does CV lie in the shadow of the mountain, so it's gets darker earlier than other areas?
No, it's part of a complex of large east-west valleys below a mesa (Torrey Mesa, Sorrento Mesa)

I work in CV and I really could not fathom living here. It's really just stripmall suburban traffic nightmare. All the density of the city with none of the charm. The Lomas Santa Fe area just to the North or Rancho Bernardo to the East seem a lot more human-friendly.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 01-24-2008 at 04:17 PM..

Old 01-24-2008, 04:23 PM

Thanks tons for the quick reply and suggested other areas!

Old 01-24-2008, 04:45 PM

786 posts, read 3,924,533 times
Yet again I agree with Sassberto - our corporate housing was in Carmel Valley until our furniture arrived on the moving van. It felt so claustrophobic and unfriendly. Just going into a grocery store people seemed very shallow and snooty. I was relieved to find it not at all like that to the north and/or east.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
Yet again I agree with Sassberto - our corporate housing was in Carmel Valley until our furniture arrived on the moving van. It felt so claustrophobic and unfriendly. Just going into a grocery store people seemed very shallow and snooty. I was relieved to find it not at all like that to the north and/or east.
thanks! where to the north and east did you like?

Old 01-24-2008, 05:32 PM

786 posts, read 3,924,533 times
Quote:
thanks! where to the north and east did you like?
We ended up in 4S ranch and I am very happy with it (just look at my posts on affordable areas and 4s ranch for more info if you are interested). I think there are a lot of nice choices though. Carmel Mountain Ranch, Poway, Scripps Ranch, Sabre Springs and Rancho Bernardo are all really great family friendly areas in my opinion. I think it depends where you will be commuting to and where you find the house/community you really like.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:04 AM

thanks everyone! It seems that carmel valley is not as nice as I thought it would be. It sounds like it does get the marine layer and is uber-cookie-cutter. I thought that it would be the least "suburbenite", since it's such a quick hop to the beach and very close to SD, and that the eastern Ncounty areas would worse, but if I'm hearing everyone right, east is better??? I was originally considering east but I decided against it cuz the towns were to far in the boonies, people complain about the I15 and mention that there aren't side roads to avoid traffic, crime stats are much higher, most schools rate below the west's schools, and from the freeway it looks just as cookie-cutter but without the west's benefit of being near the beach and other fun stuff. so correct me if I'm wrong...

What I'm looking for:
Safe, good schools, family friendly, smog free, close to fun family things to do and life's necessities such as groceries and such...by the way, I go to target, borders, wholefoods and pavilions tons, and I'll be having a baby again soon, so a good hospital close is needed.

also, I love green, I love mature landscaping, nice walking areas, a variety of hiking areas, and places where each house looks different and people have nice front yards, so daily walks are pleasant.

does my dream area exist? Is it to the east?

thanks.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
also, I love green, I love mature landscaping, nice walking areas, a variety of hiking areas, and places where each house looks different and people have nice front yards, so daily walks are pleasant.
North County San Diego,with the exception of some of the older inland areas and west I-5, is defined by tract homes. Tract home sprawl is a way of life here and if you want those good schools and safe areas you kind of have to take the crackerbox housing along with it. Unless you spend the big bucks for the custom homes there is simply not many options for housing that is not beige with a red-tile roof within 6 feet of your neighbor. Carmel Valley is sort of an extreme example because it is so close to the major job centers that it is in fact more of an urban area with suburban appearance.

That said there are some areas which have more diverse housing stock and still have good schools, but you will really have to do your homework.

You haven't mentioned your budget, that is a big factor in this discussion. If you can afford it, parts of Scripps Ranch (south of Pomerado), parts of RB, and of course many of the neighborhoods west of 5 have great schools and well-kept, charming older neighborhoods, Encinitas probably being among the most charming.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:02 PM

It may seem weird but I plan on finding my perfect place and finding a way to have it fit into my budget...

do you have any suggested areas of RB or encinitas? Or other specific areas west of the 5 that have more character? How about 4S ranch?

thanks!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
It may seem weird but I plan on finding my perfect place and finding a way to have it fit into my budget...
So a 1-5 million dollar home is in your price range? You are talking about one of the most expensive areas in the entire country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego