Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 08:33 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,571,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
and the NLCS, with players A-gon & Yas
What a difference in managers between Green and Roberts and at this point even Bruce Bochy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 01:12 PM

716 posts, read 394,259 times
Due to the low cost and great seating available, I love minor league baseball. We'll be moving to San Diego from San Jose next month and I'm hugely disappointed that apparently there're no minor league teams that play there.

Or am I wrong?

Old 10-16-2016, 05:49 PM

6,897 posts, read 8,948,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Due to the low cost and great seating available, I love minor league baseball. We'll be moving to San Diego from San Jose next month and I'm hugely disappointed that apparently there're no minor league teams that play there.

Or am I wrong?
That's a great set up. As the SD Padres essentially function a minor league team for the MLB. But you can get inexpensive seats at Petco park (vs Yankee stadium), but one ultimately cannot continue to support the Padres because the ownership is not committed to winning; they are committed to lining their greedy little pockets (by duping you, like trumpf supporters). In contrast, I've seen other similarly-sized MLB team markets (eg, the Mariners) committed to trying (and coming up just short in the last few years), but are making an honest and money-spending/investing committment to do so.
For minor league, Lake Elsinore is not that far from SD and provides that.
Where are you coming from, sd-bound and why come here?

Old 10-16-2016, 06:21 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,018,361 times
Quote:
That's a great set up. As the SD Padres essentially function a minor league team for the MLB. But you can get inexpensive seats at Petco park (vs Yankee stadium), but one ultimately cannot continue to support the Padres because the ownership is not committed to winning; they are committed to lining their greedy little pockets (by duping you, like trumpf supporters). In contrast, I've seen other similarly-sized MLB team markets (eg, the Mariners) committed to trying (and coming up just short in the last few years), but are making an honest and money-spending/investing committment to do so.
Pretty much. MLB is over extended and markets like SD or Oakland are an example. Its good for owners to over extend and for consumers, but bad for the sport -as the talent disparity is massive. People who have no business playing pro baseball have MLB careers for 10 -15 years!

Padres is the type of team where you and coworkers go to on Friday afternoon to "team build". You knock back a couple over priced drinks, while watching the padres play a team you actually want to see.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:56 PM

On the other side, we got Jed Hoyer and Anthony Rizzo with the Cubbies in the NLCS.
Remember Rizzo traded for Cashner to replace A-gon with Yonder after Rizzo maybe traded for Mat Latos and that left fielder.
All gone. Chase Headly too. Cameron Maybin, Houston Street. Nick Hundley. Mike Adams (lol).
Anyone else on the Cubs, Dodgers, Indians, Jays??

Old 10-16-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Well I was hoping for something a little closer, the Lake Elsinore stadium will be a 1:15 drive. I guess I got spoiled living in downtown Portland when I could walk a few minutes to watch the Portland Beavers.

Then they had to go and kick them out to make room for their soccer team. it just ain't American...

I'm currently in the San Jose Bay Area and have been going to watch the San Jose Giants for years.

I'm a mechanical designer who worked the Silicon Valley boom years and now that I'm retired will be moving into a downtown condo next month, buying a small sailboat and living the good life! Sorta going full circle route coming back to southern California, I was born in Santa Monica and grew up in Manhattan Beach...

Old 10-16-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Well I was hoping for something a little closer, the Lake Elsinore stadium will be a 1:15 drive. I guess I got spoiled living in downtown Portland when I could walk a few minutes to watch the Portland Beavers.

Then they had to go and kick them out to make room for their soccer team. it just ain't American...

I'm currently in the San Jose Bay Area and have been going to watch the San Jose Giants for years.

I'm a mechanical designer who worked the Silicon Valley boom years and now that I'm retired will be moving into a downtown condo next month, buying a small sailboat and living the good life! Sorta going full circle route coming back to southern California, I was born in Santa Monica and grew up in Manhattan Beach...
Well if you're living in a condo downtown, you are likely within 1-2 miles of Petco Park so just go there, as it is one of the nicest ballparks in the league.
I am envious you could retire to a dt condo as I think it would be a great lifestyle, though some parts of dt are seedy with a homeless problem but I wonder if there is a subarea that's less impacted, maybe where you'll reside. How much is a condo and its size there?

Old 10-17-2016, 08:23 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,571,156 times
Looks i was wrong, as usual
AJ Preller is going to keep his job

Old 10-17-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Well if you're living in a condo downtown, you are likely within 1-2 miles of Petco Park so just go there, as it is one of the nicest ballparks in the league.
I am envious you could retire to a dt condo as I think it would be a great lifestyle, though some parts of dt are seedy with a homeless problem but I wonder if there is a subarea that's less impacted, maybe where you'll reside. How much is a condo and its size there?
Yeah, I'll be going to watch the Padres occasionally, but not often due to the cost and I refuse to sit in a seat that requires binoculars.

There're definitely better and worst areas to live downtown and of course just like suburbia, living dt has its advantages and disadvantages.

Downtown condos are just like suburban houses (in overpriced California), they come in all sizes and prices from mega-million penthouses to studio hovels. In order to afford it, we'll be downsizing from a 3 to 1 bedroom, although we won't give up much square footage. But we prefer the urban lifestyle even with all the downsides...

Old 10-22-2016, 09:30 PM

Anthony Rizzo going to play in the World Series. Anyone else on these clubs former failed friars??

They traded Agon for Rizzo and then Rizzo for Cashner and then Alonso came along - all those players are long gone, and the Padres Ownership received nothing except our money in their greedy pockets. I'll tell you how I feel later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego