Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 2,092 times

Advertisements

We are a family relocating to San Diego, have two kids in elem school, and are looking for a rental (townhome or apartment) in RP, 4S or Del Sur due to good schools. Our budget is <$3000 for 3bed unit. My questions are:

1. How much is the typical rent for townhomes? We found one in 4S that rents for $2600, unfortunately the tenants are so busy that they will only allow showing this Saturday. My husband goes back to the east coast every weekend and will not be able to check it out. Considering that the rental market is so hot in SD, is it typical to sign a lease without seeing the actual unit? I looked at zillow and most neighboring units are going for >$3K...

2. We are also looking at the Reserve at 4S apartment complex. Is this a good complex? Are there any other recommended apartment complexes in the area? We looked online and most apartments are in the 15 corridor, which have good schools but not the best.

3. Which is better, to rent an apartment or townhome? We are planning to buy our own house but we still have to sell our current home in the east coast. We are looking to rent for 6 months to a year.

Thanks for any insights you can share
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:05 PM

332 posts, read 632,547 times
For a 3BR home or townhome, it should be about $2200 - $2600.

The Reserve is nice.

Depends...a townhome has a homier feel and may have more space and a garage, but may not be in tip top shape. An apt. may be 'nicer' but smaller.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:21 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclerlady68 View Post
Considering that the rental market is so hot in SD, is it typical to sign a lease without seeing the actual unit? I looked at zillow and most neighboring units are going for >$3K...
Do NOT put a deposit down on any home without seeing it first (or at least a comparable unit in the complex). Especially if it is priced below market for the area.

The vacating tenant does not have to be home in order for the landlord to show the unit (or a comparable unit if it is in a complex). When the person running the ad says they can't show the unit due to a busy tenant and puts pressure on you to sign a lease sight unseen, my scam alert goes off.

The rental market is competitive here, but there's no need for desperation. Find a place you can actually see before putting down any money.

Also, if you will be moving before the end of the school year, be sure to call the relevant school district to find out whether there will be room for both kids in the nearest school. Under California law, districts have to find a place for your kids at a school within the district, but they don't have to guarantee a spot in the "assigned" local school. Nor do they have to offer places to both of your kids in the same school. If you're moving after the end of this school year, make sure to register your children for next Fall ASAP after you sign your lease to avoid surprises in popular school districts.

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by RosieSD; 04-27-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
For a 3BR home or townhome, it should be about $2200 - $2600.

The Reserve is nice.

Depends...a townhome has a homier feel and may have more space and a garage, but may not be in tip top shape. An apt. may be 'nicer' but smaller.
Thanks for your input Coming from a suburb, we are actually nervous of renting an apartment because of the varied reviews we find online. We will definitely check out the Reserve though because of its location. And thanks for the price range for townhomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Do NOT put a deposit down on any home without seeing it first (or at least a comparable unit in the complex). Especially if it is priced below market for the area.

The vacating tenant does not have to be home in order for the landlord to show the unit (or a comparable unit if it is in a complex). When the person running the ad says they can't show the unit due to a busy tenant and puts pressure on you to sign a lease sight unseen, my scam alert goes off.

The rental market is competitive here, but there's no need for desperation. Find a place you can actually see before putting down any money.

Also, if you will be moving before the end of the school year, be sure to call the relevant school district to find out whether there will be room for both kids in the nearest school. Under California law, districts have to find a place for your kids at a school within the district, but they don't have to guarantee a spot in the "assigned" local school. Nor do they have to offer places to both of your kids in the same school. If you're moving after the end of this school year, make sure to register your children for next Fall ASAP after you sign your lease to avoid surprises in popular school districts.

Good luck with your move!
Thank you for all your sound advice. With our move getting closer (end of June), I am actually getting more and more desperate lol! What you said definitely makes sense. I am so unfamiliar with this competitive housing that it is clouding my judgement

I have heard that kids can get a school other than their "home" school but did not know that my kids can be assigned to two different schools! That is definitely something to keep in mind...

Old 04-27-2016, 02:51 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
If you aren't in a ground floor apartment, downstairs neighbors may object to 'kid noise'. So with kids, a townhomes may be preferable.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:50 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times
The Reserve is nice I lived there almost six years ago. Very modern units, good space, parking was decent, nice pool and clubhouse, and actually one of the few apartments where you didn't hear conversations the neighbors had. The big plus- Nice parks in the area and its located right next to a large shopping center (restaurants, bank, grocery store, pharmacy)

Old 04-27-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
If you aren't in a ground floor apartment, downstairs neighbors may object to 'kid noise'. So with kids, a townhomes may be preferable.
I agree, that is a consideration . I prefer to live on the upper floor because I dont want to hear footsteps in my ceiling but I'm afraid my neighbors downstairs will complain about my kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
The Reserve is nice I lived there almost six years ago. Very modern units, good space, parking was decent, nice pool and clubhouse, and actually one of the few apartments where you didn't hear conversations the neighbors had. The big plus- Nice parks in the area and its located right next to a large shopping center (restaurants, bank, grocery store, pharmacy)
Thanks for your feedback about the Reserve! Did you have any problems with noise coming from upper units or your neighbors downstairs complaining about your noise (if you lived in the lower unit)?

Old 04-27-2016, 07:30 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclerlady68 View Post
I agree, that is a consideration . I prefer to live on the upper floor because I dont want to hear footsteps in my ceiling but I'm afraid my neighbors downstairs will complain about my kids...

Thanks for your feedback about the Reserve! Did you have any problems with noise coming from upper units or your neighbors downstairs complaining about your noise (if you lived in the lower unit)?
Apartment/condo you always deal with some noise. Complain about kids? Those complaining need to go buy a house on a large lot.

I was in an upper unit- rarely heard my neighbors. I rarely heard noise within my unit when I was entering my place. If the patio door was open I'd hear cars driving out and also parking that was mainly where I was situated. My guests had plenty of parking. The neighborhood was also secure.

My main complaint I had to drop my dish due to my location. The only other inconvenience my garage for some reason wasn't very close to my unit- I think this was rare though.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:49 PM

601 posts, read 1,452,017 times
Newer Townhome = Garden Home = Zero Lot = Shared driveways, walls, glorified duplexes.

Good starter home, most have garages instead of car ports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego