Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 07:00 AM

4 posts, read 11,635 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the San Diego area from Northeast MA this summer. Kids are 12 and 10.

Of course we want a community that has good public schools and lots of kids, but more importantly, we are coming from a town that is setup around shops and restaurants and so our oldest can ride his bike with friends to get a slice of pizza or a burrito. We love that! Can we find something similar in the San Diego area? Housing budget is 900Kish, we have a boat so we'd like to be within 45 minutes of the beach/boating. My husband works from home so commute isn't a huge part of the conversation. I welcome any input, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 07:29 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,854,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc1230 View Post
We are relocating to the San Diego area from Northeast MA this summer. Kids are 12 and 10.

Of course we want a community that has good public schools and lots of kids, but more importantly, we are coming from a town that is setup around shops and restaurants and so our oldest can ride his bike with friends to get a slice of pizza or a burrito. We love that! Can we find something similar in the San Diego area? Housing budget is 900Kish, we have a boat so we'd like to be within 45 minutes of the beach/boating. My husband works from home so commute isn't a huge part of the conversation. I welcome any input, thanks!
Your wish list and price range sound like you should at least check out the coastal village sections of Encinitas and Carlsbad.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:28 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,655 times
Encinitas, Carlsbad, and maybe even Solana Beach depending on house size requirements!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:04 PM

1,053 posts, read 799,737 times
You might also check out Carmel Valley. The "town centers" are in the form of malls rather than a downtown street but that's where the kids hang out after school, etc. It's a master planned community with walking/biking lanes built through the community.

$900K is at the bottom of the range for a SFH but well within range for a large townhome.

Carmel Valley is likely the most kid/teen focused community with the best public schools in the county and a plethora of activities such as sports, scouting, music, dance, etc. Our kids are 12 and 14 and we love it here.

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-03-2016, 08:53 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times
Check out Coronado (Home | Coronado Visitor Center). It ticks off everything on your checklist: family oriented, excellent schools, walking/biking distance to restaurants/parks/shops, safe, and boat marinas at your doorstep on San Diego Bay (you also have ocean access on the other side of Coronado. May be a little outside your budget, but since it ticks off so much on your list, and is a very nice place to live, it might be worth it.

Point Loma would be a similar area, although some areas are less walkable/bikeable. Mission Hills might be another good option to investigate if you want quick access to your boat.

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 AM

771 posts, read 836,239 times
Default Coronado

I don't think Coronado is going to work unless their budget has a lot of room (like +20% or more). On Zillow, I see only two 3 BR SFH/Townhome/Condos at or under $1mm and they're condos in the same building priced at $950K and $1mm. I do agree that it ticks most or all of their other boxes, though.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:43 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,806,921 times
Coronado home of golf carts, bikes and if you are lucky hybrid cars.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
I don't think Coronado is going to work unless their budget has a lot of room (like +20% or more). On Zillow, I see only two 3 BR SFH/Townhome/Condos at or under $1mm and they're condos in the same building priced at $950K and $1mm. I do agree that it ticks most or all of their other boxes, though.
Yes, that is why I said that it may be out of their budget. But, since it ticks off everything on their checklist, from good schools to boat marinas to walkability, it definitely should be considered if their budget can be stretched. And, if boating is their thing, you can't get any better than a place like this, where you have a boat slip in your backyard: http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...t/11_zm/0_mmm/ (Of course, the Coronado Keys aren't walkable to downtown Coronado, but it is the type of place where kids bike everywhere).

Frankly, $900,000 anywhere in San Diego these days won't get you as much as it will get you in most of Massachusetts, so they might have to "stretch" anyhow if they are firm about everything on their list. So it doesn't hurt to give them more options to consider in San Diego County to investigate.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-03-2016 at 10:24 AM..

Old 05-03-2016, 10:19 AM

771 posts, read 836,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Yes, that is why I said that it may be out of their budget. But, since it ticks off everything on their checklist, from good schools to boat marinas to walkability, it definitely should be considered if their budget can be stretched.

Frankly, $900,000 anywhere in San Diego these days won't get you as much as it will get you in most of Massachusetts, so they might have to "stretch" anyhow if they are firm about everything on their list.
There are a number of 3+ BR SFH and townhomes in the Carlsbad Village area in the $700-$1000K range. I think that area would tick all their boxes and be within budget. A couple are even west of I5.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
There are a number of 3+ BR SFH and townhomes in the Carlsbad Village area in the $700-$1000K range. I think that area would tick all their boxes and be within budget. A couple are even west of I5.
True. I guess their options for their boat in Carlsbad would be either Oceanside or driving down to San Diego and a marina there? Or are there other marina options in North County?

Of course, we don't know what type of "boating" they want to do. From Oceanside, I guess you're pretty much going to head out to the open seas. If they want calmer waters, then they'll need a slip or launch in downtown, Point Loma, Coronado or perhaps the south bay or Mission Bay. That will be a bit of a drive of a drive from Carlsbad, but on the weekend it will be within their stated preference for a 45 minute drive time to boating. Still, for a serious boater, having a slip in your backyard might make a townhouse in Coronado attractive, especially if it checks off other things on the list.

(As an aside, if they plan on trailering their boat to a launch every weekend, they'll want to pay attention to boat storage regulations in any CC&R communities and plan for accordingly)

They'll certainly have some decisions to make, but plenty of good options to explore throughout the county. And more options if there is wiggle room in their budget.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-03-2016 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego