Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:33 AM

264 posts, read 250,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Great point. Here are some common local abbreviations:

PQ, RP = Rancho Penasquitos
RB = Rancho Bernardo
CMR = Carmel Mountain Ranch
PB = Pacific Beach
OB = Pacific Beach
MB = Mission Beach
IB = Imperial Beach
RSD = Rancho San Diego
CV = Can be either Carmel Valley or Chula Vista, two very different parts of the county
SD = San Diego city (natch)
DT = downtown San Diego

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting about though.

I also want to say thank you again to everyone who has already posted. I hope other people will continue to add to this thread, as it is great!
Thanks Rosie, FYI to the person who asked, OB = Ocean Beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 11:36 AM

264 posts, read 250,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
The boys next door are in their late 20s and mid 30s, bought the house for $1.1M cash, a $125k worth of Mercedes and BMW with dealer plates shows up when they move in and they haven't worked a day since they got here a year ago. Perfectly nice guys but kind of hard to relate to. They make stupid comments like how cute it is when we both get home from work with our work clothes on as we pop out of our cars and greet each other. They remind me of the dowager from Downton Abbey when she queried as to "what is a week end?"
That would infuriate me. Kudos to you for having not smacked them (yet?)

Old 07-25-2016, 11:46 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
Thanks Rosie, FYI to the person who asked, OB = Ocean Beach
LOL, thanks for catching that one Liz. My fingers were typing faster than my brain was working.

I'd never really thought about how many abbreviations we use in San Diego until writing them all down like that. I could see how they might confuse newcomers.

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-25-2016 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-25-2016, 03:02 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
developers to start cranking out houses again.
Don't you mean high-density, walkable, transit-oriented new urbanist apartment homes?

Old 07-25-2016, 04:07 PM

72 posts, read 148,784 times
Wow, sorry for all the typos I was dictating on an old iPhone, clearly AutoCorrect was having way too much fun with me ! Lol.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:03 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Don't you mean high-density, walkable, transit-oriented new urbanist apartment homes?
But of course The tiny house brigade.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:28 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
That would infuriate me. Kudos to you for having not smacked them (yet?)
Yeah they do deserve a smack down for that sort of pretentious comment.

Fortunately we are likely not to see them until November as they immediately installed A/C in their house after they moved in and are convinced they need it 24/7 holed up their house now. It was only hot for a couple of days and it's been in the low 70s and upper 60s- just about perfect temperature to enjoy and sleep with the windows open! Nope- not for them! And they drive to everywhere here, tinted windows tightly up and the A/C blasting- 3 blocks away? It would never even occur to them to walk, ever They are circling around looking for a place to park when my partner and I walk on past and into the door.

I have no idea why they chose this neighborhood or even this city since they don't take advantage of the very qualities that make it so nice to live here.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:01 PM

38 posts, read 48,876 times
University City

Frequently referred to as UTC (University Towne Center)

Pros:
  • Quiet, feels very safe in most places. Active neighborhood watch and a lot of neighborhood pride.
  • Great neighborhood feel, very kid-friendly, lots of neighborhood parks, several good pre-school options
  • Good public schools
  • Westfield UTC. Yes, it's a mall but it's a really nice one!
  • 10 minutes to the beach (La Jolla Shores). Also 10 minutes to Mission Bay.
  • Central location, short drive to most places of interest around the city as well as to the beach towns to the north
  • Marine layer means it stays cool during the summers
  • Lots of employers in the vicinity means a shorter commute for many people than other locations

Cons:
  • Not really walkable. Lots of hills makes it difficult to bike as well
  • Dining options are kind of vanilla, mostly chains
  • Expensive. Much cheaper than La Jolla but that's not saying too much
  • Other than Westfield UTC and UCSD, there aren't really any other attractions. This can be a pro or con I guess
  • Genessee Ave rush hour traffic is pretty bad, so if you live around there that can be unpleasant
  • Marine layer means May and June can be pretty gloomy

Last edited by psychmd; 07-26-2016 at 06:32 PM..

Old 07-26-2016, 07:18 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I have no idea why they chose this neighborhood or even this city since they don't take advantage of the very qualities that make it so nice to live here.
They read about it in a magazine.

Let me guess.... LA natives?

Old 07-27-2016, 11:38 AM

3,395 posts, read 2,803,036 times
Golden Hill
Likes: Close to downtown, community on the rise (perception is improving), older homes/units so there's charm, very close to Balboa park, Walkability
Dislikes: San Diego Unified Schools (while not bad, not great either), parking, fixer uppers, Lack of shopping/food options, can be loud depending on your location two major highways on the borders.

Escondido (West)
Likes: Traffic is not terrible, plenty of food/shopping options, space (homes and units with yards), affordable, versatile (you CAN work in Irvine or downtown SD)
Dislikes: Hot, Schools aren't great, Crime can be an issue, too isolated from San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego