Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 05:18 PM

16 posts, read 113,185 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me any information about Mira Mesa? Demographics, distance to SD, distance to the beach. Nice area? Traffic driving to and from SD. What is this Gas Light District? Any info would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 PM

264 posts, read 1,390,815 times
Lots of traffic in Mira Mesa. Mira Mesa Blvd is a major East/West thoroughfare for people going from inland to the coast (from hwy 15 to the 5). So, lots of traffic, lots of lights.

The place I've had my car stolen.

Mostly built up in the 70's and 80's. Lots of houses, pockets of relatively crappy houses (closer to the 15).
It's one big strip mall after another along Mira Mesa blvd. (No, I'm not a fan of Mira Mesa).

Ethnically diverse. Lots of Asian people. Good Pho's.

There are nicer neighborhoods, but Mira Mesa is relatively well located within the county.

The Gas Lamp District is in downtown San Diego. Lots of nightlife, clubs, etc.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
Mira Mesa is a good starter home area, but most people move out of Mira Mesa once they get a little equity and can afford to go north or east into RB/Scripps or even Rancho PQ. BUT, with that said, it's a decent area. I'd pick it in a heartbeat over an area like Claremont, which is another so-so area. It is centrally located, which is a plus.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 PM

48 posts, read 469,717 times
Depending on the time of day, you can get from Mira Mesa to the beach in about 10-15 minutes (longer if you're driving during a high-traffic time, and of course it depends on which beach you're going to; Mira Mesa is closest to Torrey Pines or La Jolla, a little farther from Pacific Beach / Mission Beach, and a bit farther yet from Ocean Beach).

While it's true that there's almost always a lot of annoying traffic on Mira Mesa Blvd, I've found that the traffic overall isn't all that bad in the rest of this area. I happen to live right off I-15, though, so I'm lucky to be able to hop right onto the freeway. The east part of Mira Mesa is on I-15 while the west part is on I-805, and the thing that I find most frustrating about the area is that there isn't a good east-west road. To get west, I either take I-15 south to 52west or I-15 north to 56west so I can avoid Mira Mesa Blvd. Miramar Rd does the trick for me when I need to head west for work at 7am, but later in the day the traffic on Miramar is almost as bad as Mira Mesa.

As for the Gaslamp Quarter, that is an area of downtown that has a lot of cool restaurants and bars, etc (I went there a lot when I first moved out here in '02, when I was in my very early 20s. I don't go there as much now, simply because I'm married & over that scene, but my friends still have a great time down there). They have been building condos in that area that are really nice--but I think they're very expensive (although I don't know what has happened to the prices over the past year, with the housing crash). From Mira Mesa it takes about 15 minutes to get to downtown.

I hope that info helps a little!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 PM

77 posts, read 405,264 times
Default Check out Mira Mesa

Mira Mesa Community
http://Miramesa.com

Mira Mesa Chamber of Commerce
http://www.miramesachamber.com/

Mira Mesa Town Council
http://www.miramesatowncouncil.org/

MM Recreation Center
http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/miramesa.shtml

The west side of Mira Mesa is better than the east side.

If checking out Mira Mesa, do the following for 1-2 days at least. One weekday during the rush hours (morning, lunch, after work) and one day on the weekend. Check out the schools and the locals, also.

1) Go to Edwards Cinema for a movie - free popcorn on Tuesdays
2) Go to Panera Bread with your laptop and relax
3) Go to Barnes and Noble and hang out at the cafe with your laptop and check out the books
4) Go to Islands or Pat & Oscars to eat.
5) Go across the street to the Starbucks/Jamba Juice patio and relax with a cup of coffee or Jamba Juice
6) Go to Albertson's to shop
7) Go to Best Buy and check out the electronics. There are a lot of males there too for our female visitors.

THEN at the rest of Mira Mesa
1) Check out the Library and log on the Internet - you can also check out free videos and DVDs!
2) Go to the Rec Center and play basketball or pingpong.
3) Go check out Willy's Workshop and Mervyn's for those Levi's 511 skinny jeans for men - the high school kids love these jeans - rock n roll
4) Try out the ethnic stores and food places like Shozen, Spices Thai, etc.
5) Go to the San Diego Ice Arena and ice skate.
6) Go to the Mira Mesa bowl - $1.50 per game M-F before 3pm
7) Enjoy Chuck E Cheese for the kids
8) Try out Fuddruckers, Callahans, Sorrento Mesa food court, etc. for dining.
9) Check out the Ned Baumer Aquatic at Miramar College and swim there - swimming lessons are available.
10) Play tennis at Miramar College - classes available at the MM Rec Center.
11) Check out all the parks in the Mira Mesa - Lopez Ridge, Camino Ruiz, etc. http://www.miramesa.com/mira-mesa-parks/
12) Watch the community participate in sports at the Miramar College Hourglass field, Wangenheim field, Mira Mesa Rec Center fields, Camino Ruiz park field, etc.
13) Check out the programs at Mira Mesa High School - see Ryana's list at //www.city-data.com/forum/san-diego/217070-why-everybody-hates-mira-mesa-4.html
14) Lots of Tuesday/even Saturday specials - Denny's, Edwards, Rubios, Hometown Buffet, etc. Wednesday specials at Callahans, etc.

Surrounding areas outside of Mira Mesa
1) Walk at the Miramar Lake - do daily walks, bike or rollerblade.
2) Check out Sorrento Valley - pet and people cemetery, etc.
3) Swim and exercise at the YMCA at Rancho Penasquitos and be a member
4) Check out UTC (University Town Center) shopping center
5) The closest beach is La Jolla shores

Old 10-27-2008, 06:19 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira-Mesa-Resident View Post
Mira Mesa Community
http://Miramesa.com

Mira Mesa Chamber of Commerce
http://www.miramesachamber.com/

Mira Mesa Town Council
http://www.miramesatowncouncil.org/

MM Recreation Center
http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/centers/miramesa.shtml

The west side of Mira Mesa is better than the east side.

If checking out Mira Mesa, do the following for 1-2 days at least. One weekday during the rush hours (morning, lunch, after work) and one day on the weekend. Check out the schools and the locals, also.

1) Go to Edwards Cinema for a movie - free popcorn on Tuesdays
2) Go to Panera Bread with your laptop and relax
3) Go to Barnes and Noble and hang out at the cafe with your laptop and check out the books
4) Go to Islands or Pat & Oscars to eat.
5) Go across the street to the Starbucks/Jamba Juice patio and relax with a cup of coffee or Jamba Juice
6) Go to Albertson's to shop
7) Go to Best Buy and check out the electronics. There are a lot of males there too for our female visitors.

THEN at the rest of Mira Mesa
1) Check out the Library and log on the Internet - you can also check out free videos and DVDs!
2) Go to the Rec Center and play basketball or pingpong.
3) Go check out Willy's Workshop and Mervyn's for those Levi's 511 skinny jeans for men - the high school kids love these jeans - rock n roll
4) Try out the ethnic stores and food places like Shozen, Spices Thai, etc.
5) Go to the San Diego Ice Arena and ice skate.
6) Go to the Mira Mesa bowl - $1.50 per game M-F before 3pm
7) Enjoy Chuck E Cheese for the kids
8) Try out Fuddruckers, Callahans, Sorrento Mesa food court, etc. for dining.
9) Check out the Ned Baumer Aquatic at Miramar College and swim there - swimming lessons are available.
10) Play tennis at Miramar College - classes available at the MM Rec Center.
11) Check out all the parks in the Mira Mesa - Lopez Ridge, Camino Ruiz, etc. http://www.miramesa.com/mira-mesa-parks/
12) Watch the community participate in sports at the Miramar College Hourglass field, Wangenheim field, Mira Mesa Rec Center fields, Camino Ruiz park field, etc.
13) Check out the programs at Mira Mesa High School - see Ryana's list at //www.city-data.com/forum/san-diego/217070-why-everybody-hates-mira-mesa-4.html
14) Lots of Tuesday/even Saturday specials - Denny's, Edwards, Rubios, Hometown Buffet, etc. Wednesday specials at Callahans, etc.

Surrounding areas outside of Mira Mesa
1) Walk at the Miramar Lake - do daily walks, bike or rollerblade.
2) Check out Sorrento Valley - pet and people cemetery, etc.
3) Swim and exercise at the YMCA at Rancho Penasquitos and be a member
4) Check out UTC (University Town Center) shopping center
5) The closest beach is La Jolla shores
Great suggestions MMR. I'd give you a rep point but a notification says I have to spread some reps around before I give another one to you.

In addition to what MMR recommended, I also suggest visiting "Little India" in Mira Mesa if you are into ethnic/Indian food. It is off of Black Mountain Road just north of Miramar. There are a bunch of authentic Indian restaurants to try and some Indian markets to buy some Indian spices and groceries.

Also, check out Fresh & Easy. It's a food store chain that has been opening up in various places. They just opened in Mira Mesa a few days ago. That place is great for groceries. It is similar to Trader Joes. Website: Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Marketâ„¢
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego