Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 05:17 AM

418 posts, read 906,723 times

Advertisements

Thanks to the OP for posting this and to all that have responded. This is good reading as we find ourselves in a similar decision point. A year ago, we were contemplating a move to Chicago. I was offered a sr leadership role with my firm but just couldn't subject my family to living back in the cold midwest again. The sound of a snowblower and driving on ice and snow again was what solidified that decision.

I felt then, as I do now, that IL tax burden was only going to get worse. When we were looking at homes, a $800k-$1M home equated to $25k in property taxes. Ouch. That's comparable to paying Mello Roos but with that, at least you get nice weather and sunshine year round in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 12:54 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Just out of curiosity, I did a search on Zillow for homes within reasonable commuting distance of Carlsbad, currently on the market between $700K and $750K (Jedi's preferred budget). Note there are plenty of homes above that price range, and a few (mainly condos/townhomes) below.

In Carlsbad:

Zillow shows 12 homes in that price range within Carlsbad city limits currently for sale. Here are just a few as examples:

1800 square foot townhome, 4 beds,, $745,000 4027 Bluff View Way, Carlsbad, CA 92008 | MLS #01962866 | Zillow

1900 square foot single family home, 3 bedrooms, $709,000 3547 Cay Dr, Carlsbad, CA 92010 | Zillow

1600 square foot single family home, 3 bedrooms, $749,000 7952 Calle Posada, Carlsbad, CA 92009 | Zillow

1557 square foot single family home, 3 bedrooms, $747,000: 7110 Columbine Dr, Carlsbad, CA 92011 | Zillow

In Encinitas:

Zillow shows 2 homes on the market in that price range currently:

1783 square foot single family home, 3 bedrooms, $750,000 1514 Flair Encinitas Dr, Encinitas, CA 92024 | MLS #160060219 | Zillow

1830 square foot single family home, 3 bedrooms, $749,000 1512 Tucker Ln, Encinitas, CA 92024 | MLS #160063472 | Zillow

In San Marcos:

Zillow shows 12 in that price range right now.

2430 square feet single family home, 4 bedrooms, $749,900 2141 Island Shore Way, San Marcos, CA 92078 | MLS #160054707 | Zillow

2900 square foot single family home, 3 bedrooms, $700,000 532 Echo Ln, San Marcos, CA 92078 | MLS #OC16187906 | Zillow

3300 square foot single family home, 5 bedrooms, $700,000 868 Avenida Abeja, San Marcos, CA 92069 | MLS #160055894 | Zillow

In Oceanside:

3300 square foot single family home, 4 bedrooms, $719,000 1110 Ocean Ridge Ct, Oceanside, CA 92056 | Zillow

2184 square foot single family home, 4 bedrooms, $730,000 1808 Portofino Dr, Oceanside, CA 92054 | MLS #SW16141651 | Zillow

2500 square foot single family home, 4 bedrooms, $719,000 139 Parnassus Cir, Oceanside, CA 92054 | MLS #OC16750138 | Zillow

Of course, this doesn't take into account any differences in schools, neighborhoods, crime, etc. And, six months from now, the market might look different. But, this does give a bit of an idea of what $700 - $750K might buy in that part of the county today. Obviously, boost the budget a bit, and you'll start seeing slightly larger homes and more options in Carlsbad and Encinitas, as well as San Marcos. I'm not sure how many $800,000+ homes there are in Oceanside -- that market tends to be lower priced I think.

But, the point is: there are homes available in that area within Jedi's price range, although only Jedi and his family can determine how they might compare to what they have in Chicago. I think Catwarmer also made a good point that it is sometimes hard to tell what a home will look like in person, since you can't see the neighborhood, the lot, or the layout in an ad.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:31 AM

771 posts, read 835,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Just out of curiosity, I did a search on Zillow for homes within reasonable commuting distance of Carlsbad, currently on the market between $700K and $750K (Jedi's preferred budget). Note there are plenty of homes above that price range, and a few (mainly condos/townhomes) below.
As someone who is very actively on top of the Carlsbad and nearby market at the moment, I can confidently say that there are single family homes that come up in the $700's but all the good ones (really any that don't have serious issues) go pending within a day or two and often with multiple offers. Twinhome/townhome/etc. seem to move a little slower. Also, Zillow is often really "behind" on north county listings' status.

For example, the Cay Dr you listed has been pending for a while now and went pending I believe the day it came on. Same with Calle Posada. Flair in Encinitas is pending and Columbine in Carlsbad is off the market (dunno the details on these).

Bottom line is if OP wants a single family in these areas, they will need to be ready to get in a full price or higher offer the same day a listing comes on. They will be competing with all-cash buyers who may also be coming in with few or no contingencies.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:58 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
As someone who is very actively on top of the Carlsbad and nearby market at the moment, I can confidently say that there are single family homes that come up in the $700's but all the good ones (really any that don't have serious issues) go pending within a day or two and often with multiple offers. Twinhome/townhome/etc. seem to move a little slower. Also, Zillow is often really "behind" on north county listings' status.

For example, the Cay Dr you listed has been pending for a while now and went pending I believe the day it came on. Same with Calle Posada. Flair in Encinitas is pending and Columbine in Carlsbad is off the market (dunno the details on these).

Bottom line is if OP wants a single family in these areas, they will need to be ready to get in a full price or higher offer the same day a listing comes on. They will be competing with all-cash buyers who may also be coming in with few or no contingencies.
All good points, someguy10. My intent was just to give a few examples of what a budget of $750K *might* buy in that part of San Diego County.

Obviously, Jedi and his family will need to work with a realtor who can help them dig into the market more deeply when they are ready to make their move. I think the point you raise about things moving quickly is particularly important because we all know that what homes list for and what they sell for - especially if they are desirable homes in desirable neighborhoods - can be very different things. Perhaps someone can go back and pull out a few "recent sales" for better examples?

In any case, there are options in that price range, but only Jedi and his family will be able to decide if their budget can be stretched a little more to get everything they want in a home here. I think the trickiest part of what Jedi has mentioned will be the "big lot" at $750K in that area.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:51 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
What Jedi needs to do is arrange a house hunting trip with his prospective employer. He should make contact with a realtor in the area and give them a list of what he is looking for. That way the realtor can have a bunch of homes to show them.

That is what I did when we moved from Florida to San Diego. It was very similar to his case as we were faced with moving from a large custom home in Florida with a pool to much higher priced homes in San Diego. However we had the advantage of having lived in San Diego so we knew that it was well worth making the move regardless of the price of housing.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:01 PM

771 posts, read 835,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
All good points, someguy10. My intent was just to give a few examples of what a budget of $750K *might* buy in that part of San Diego County.

Obviously, Jedi and his family will need to work with a realtor who can help them dig into the market more deeply when they are ready to make their move. I think the point you raise about things moving quickly is particularly important because we all know that what homes list for and what they sell for - especially if they are desirable homes in desirable neighborhoods - can be very different things. Perhaps someone can go back and pull out a few "recent sales" for better examples?

In any case, there are options in that price range, but only Jedi and his family will be able to decide if their budget can be stretched a little more to get everything they want in a home here. I think the trickiest part of what Jedi has mentioned will be the "big lot" at $750K in that area.
Absolutely -- I wasn't trying to dismiss your post, rather just point out that houses in the more desirable areas listed at $750K may present challenges someone used to a midwest market may not be prepared for. If you are staying or living in the SD area, it's not a big deal to get into the fast flow in Carlsbad and at least some other areas. If you're 2000 miles away, though, it gets a little trickier unless you either make offers sight unseen, or can be on a plane there the same day a good listing comes on. I couldn't imagine doing the former without at least one or two previous serious scouting trips to the area.

And that's not even getting to the big yard wish.

Renting/leasing first might be a good way to get up to speed and be within easy/fast distance to eventually purchase.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:04 PM

441 posts, read 534,339 times
Taking a look at the area in person and having a good realtor are great ideas. We had six months to get out of our old house, were already familiar with this area, and had made one house hunting trip. The realtor set us up on a web site where we saw all houses as they entered the market. If any looked promising, our agent was over there within a day to check it out in person for us, including walk through descriptions and additional photos of anything we wanted to see that weren't on the listing site. I also made friends online with a local flipper in our target neighborhood who on her own decided to visit every house we considered. She was wonderful because she knew the streets and neighborhoods and checked out each home's physical infrastructure and could advise on repairs and potential upgrades and pitfalls. Our realtor was great but it was so helpful to have that additional independent opinion.

We bought our house from out-of-state and then came to see it during escrow. Which is also important to understand because home sales here go through an escrow company rather than agents and lawyers like in Illinois.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:57 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
Absolutely same situation where I am looking, it;'s a lot of compromises at that price range, we are now looking at going smaller and more convenient and have remodel which was inconceivable 2 years ago when we started looking

Old 12-07-2016, 05:48 PM

230 posts, read 173,308 times
check out Poway Unified Schools...one of the best in California

Old 12-08-2016, 02:09 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny DeSurf View Post
check out Poway Unified Schools...one of the best in California
Poway has great schools. We lived in Poway for 18 years. Our son went to Poway High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego