Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 09:38 PM

681 posts, read 2,801,048 times

Advertisements

I do this trip multiple times a year. Here are some pointers:

- Leaving at noon should be ok, as long as you get to the Cajon Pass by 3pm, which should be doable.

- In terms of gas, it's hard to say because it depends on year/type of vehicle you drive. However that said, a good rule is to fill up here in SD. Stop in Victorville, or Barstow for gas/rest/relief and then head straight to Vegas. Barstow is the halfway point of the trip and has many interchanges/places to fill up and eat. This is where the aforementioned outlet stores are ... you can't miss it as you'll see it miles away. And if you do miss it, just go a few exits down to Barstow station and get a bite to eat in converted railcars (McD's, Dunkin Donuts, Panda express, Subway are all there).

- Take the I-15 all the way. The I-215 has a few trickey interchanges and lot's of construction which can slow you down. I-15 will get bogged down close to the I-10 interchange no matter what time of day, so just beware of that.

- If you happen to get stuck in traffic on the way there, or on the way back, don't follow google or apple maps for detours. Stay on the I-15 and you'll get home eventually. Yes there is a fairly long back story to this advice, so believe me ... there really is only one way home and that is straight down the I-15 (there are a few minor detours, but you can wait until you do this trip a few times to discover those).

- Driving through the mountains through Cajon Pass and between Baker to the Nevada border can be a bit harry. They are steep, but not San Fran steep. Your ears will pop a few times due to the rapid change in altitude. These are interstate's afterall, but if you're a nervous driver, just stay in the slow lane and you'll be fine. There was snow between the Baker and Nevada border this past Christmas, so if this is the case, slow down and take your time.

- I agree with staying hydrated and bringing some munchies. Good music will help time pass as well. There are planty of small towns/rest areas/gas stations along the route so don't worry about finding a place to stop.

- Coming back .. leave as early as you can. Prior to 10am is key as most hotels expect guests to check-out by then. And when that happens, there is a mass exodus back to Cali.

- When in Vegas, most hotel parking is free except for MGM. MGM properties now charge for parking so beware of that. I believe the first hour is free, then it's $7 for hours 1-4.

- Gas is comparatively cheaper in Vegas, so fill up right before you leave!

Have a fun trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 07:44 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
You guys are correct, my bad, the road up to the plateau on I-15 is the Cajon Pass. I've been sitting in endless traffic both coming and going through the Cajon Pass, but usually on weekends, and in summer. So we tend to leave San Diego around 9 pm and stay over at Barstow (heading for North Idaho every summer, not Vegas) but that's not relevant for the OP.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:08 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post

- Leaving at noon should be ok, as long as you get to the Cajon Pass by 3pm, which should be doable.

- In terms of gas, it's hard to say because it depends on year/type of vehicle you drive. However that said, a good rule is to fill up here in SD. Stop in Victorville, or Barstow for gas/rest/relief and then head straight to Vegas. Barstow is the halfway point of the trip and has many interchanges/places to fill up and eat. This is where the aforementioned outlet stores are ... you can't miss it as you'll see it miles away. And if you do miss it, just go a few exits down to Barstow station and get a bite to eat in converted railcars (McD's, Dunkin Donuts, Panda express, Subway are all there).

- Take the I-15 all the way. The I-215 has a few trickey interchanges and lot's of construction which can slow you down. I-15 will get bogged down close to the I-10 interchange no matter what time of day, so just beware of that.
This. Google Maps might tell you to take the I-215. Ignore that unless you want to deal with Riverside and San Bernardino traffic.

Quote:
- If you happen to get stuck in traffic on the way there, or on the way back, don't follow google or apple maps for detours. Stay on the I-15 and you'll get home eventually. Yes there is a fairly long back story to this advice, so believe me ... there really is only one way home and that is straight down the I-15 (there are a few minor detours, but you can wait until you do this trip a few times to discover those).

- Driving through the mountains through Cajon Pass and between Baker to the Nevada border can be a bit harry. They are steep, but not San Fran steep. Your ears will pop a few times due to the rapid change in altitude. These are interstate's afterall, but if you're a nervous driver, just stay in the slow lane and you'll be fine. There was snow between the Baker and Nevada border this past Christmas, so if this is the case, slow down and take your time.

- I agree with staying hydrated and bringing some munchies. Good music will help time pass as well. There are planty of small towns/rest areas/gas stations along the route so don't worry about finding a place to stop.

- Coming back .. leave as early as you can. Prior to 10am is key as most hotels expect guests to check-out by then. And when that happens, there is a mass exodus back to Cali.

- When in Vegas, most hotel parking is free except for MGM. MGM properties now charge for parking so beware of that. I believe the first hour is free, then it's $7 for hours 1-4.

- Gas is comparatively cheaper in Vegas, so fill up right before you leave!

Have a fun trip!
Again, great advice.

I take this route but not to Las Vegas, but to the 395 to get to the Sierra Nevadas.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
Lots of great replies! thanks. I figured it's a fairly straight forward trip. I also thought about the weather. It's winter and so it won't be as brutal as driving in hot July. The one thing that happened when I drove to Palm Springs was eye issues. Like my eyes were tired and had a burning feeling. But that was a couple of months ago and it was warmer. Sun glasses this time.

I will look out for exit signs to victorville. Is the outlet mall right off the freeway? That would be a good stop to just get out of the car and stretch. My ipod is loaded with tons of music and I just ordered car chargers to make sure that I can charge my phone and ipod. I am staying on top of things here.
You might find it interesting to stop at Barstow Station. The old train station now a souvenir stop and food, McDonald's and more. Kind of a nice break. Stop there on every trip I have taken to Vegas.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:44 PM

480 posts, read 418,716 times
Quote:

Have a fun trip!
Thanks a lot! Google maps tells me to take I-215N for about 55 miles and then back on to I-I5N. I take it that you and others are asking me to not get on 215N at all. Just simply stay on I-15N and ignore 215N. That would be good to know now.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:20 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
Thanks a lot! Google maps tells me to take I-215N for about 55 miles and then back on to I-I5N. I take it that you and others are asking me to not get on 215N at all. Just simply stay on I-15N and ignore 215N. That would be good to know now.
Here's another vote for taking I-15N rather than I-215N.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:00 PM

681 posts, read 2,801,048 times
It's funny, even the exit signs don't know which way to route the Vegas traffic.

A few years ago at the I-15 and I-215 interchange, the board for the I-15 showed "Los Angeles" and "Corona", I-215 exit showed "Riverside" and "Barstow".

Last Year they changed it so that the I-15 side of the board read "Los Angeles" and "Las Vegas" and I-215 "Riverside" and "San Bernardino". Just last month I noticed that neither signs now show Las Vegas. I-15 shows "Los Angeles" and "Corona" again, and I-215 shows "Riverside" and "San Bernardino"

Last edited by mricu; 01-08-2017 at 10:25 PM..

Old 01-09-2017, 10:59 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,774 times
I've tried the 215 several times and it is hit and miss. Its all about traffic when going through Riverside and San Berdoo. I took the 215 once and sailed right through at an average speed of 75mph. But that was early Sunday morning right around daybreak. Here's the thing, I don't really know what the traffic conditions were on the 15 so I'll never know if I've saved time. I've also tried it coming back and got effed in brutal bumper to bumper. But again, I'm sure the 15 was just as worse.

I pretty much stick to the 15 all the way up and al the way back.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:39 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,774 times
My Vegas suggestion list, I know nobody is asking but thought I would throw it out anyways:

Hotels-

Cheap: Four Queens, the D. Both downtown on Fremont. Orleans and Palace Station.

Mid price: Flamingo, the Linq. Side by side hotels with great location on the strip.

Money no object: The Wynn. Caesars. JW Marriot out by Red rocks. Trump. Palazzo

Activities/Shows:

O-Cirque de Soleil. In fact any Cirque de Soliel

Absinthe- at Caesars

Blue Man group- kind of contrived but always a good time

Food:

Flamingo has a surprisingly good steakhouse, so does Four Queens downtown.

I'm not into foodie stuff, but the wife enjoys it so we have gone to Nobu, Table 10, Spago and Mesa Grill. All of them really good.

I would just as soon go to the World buffet at the Rio. By the way, the best in my opinion. Tacos el Gordo north on the strip.

Other stuff:

I play golf and Vegas is a golf destination. Too many courses to list but the one that stands out is Wolf Creek about an hour north in Mesquite.

Hiking Red rock area in the west desert. Obviously something you don't want to do in the middle of summer but it is beautiful in the spring time.

Hoover dam. I've taken the tour several times and still find it interesting. If anything great photo op at the stateline.

Lake las Vegas. Paddle boats and SUP boards.

My wife shops at the mall on the strip. The one with the big flying saucer thing on top of it.

The rides on top of Stratosphere. Especially the one that launches you up on a slingshot thing. Cant think of the name.

Zip line on Fremont.

NYNY roller coaster.

I only gamble downtown, better odds and relaxed vibe: Binions and Four Queens.

I'm not into the nightclub scene so I couldn't make a recommendation there.

O'Sheas in between the Linq and Flamingo is a great place to grab a drink, listen to some live music, everything from Elvis impersonators to Irish stuff. Relaxed vibe and there is no d-bag wanna be goombahs dressed up in suits looking for table service. If you have anything more than a t shirt and jeans or cargo short, you're overdressed.

I really love Vegas. To me it is the best quick, long weekend vacation option here in SoCal.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:45 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
I don't understand why anyone would drive and face the risk of a crash blocking the 15 possibly for hours. Not when a SWA SAN to LAS flight is $79 is bought in advance. Even if everything goes as planned, it's still 4+ or 5 hours driving through the desert. I fly every time. And the trip back on a Sunday is always hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego