Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2018, 03:55 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,129,483 times

Advertisements

I know, a Riverside County resident posting in the SD Forum again...

Anyway, to any of you SD County residents, what is your opinion (or take) on the following communities: Fallbrook, Rainbow, Bonsall, and Valley Center? How about De Luz, Pala, and Pauma Valley?

I remember going through Rainbow and Fallbrook on the way to SD several times in the past year or two. I honestly think they're really nice and pretty! A bit more rural and out of the way. From my observation going through this beautiful area of SD County numerous times, both Rainbow and Fallbrook seem to be the absolute perfect locations for plant nurseries (Perhaps closer proximity to the Pacific Ocean and the weather have to do with it?)

I also remember stopping in Bonsall once to gas up and get something to eat on the way back home from Oceanside in the summer of last year (Yes, it became hotter and hotter as we went through Temecula, Hemet, Beaumont, Palm Springs, and so on! ). Just like Rainbow and Fallbrook, I thought it was pretty there, as well. A bit of greenery here and there to be had.

If I ever plan to relocate to SD County, one of these communities would be my first choice.

So, your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 04:24 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
All are beautiful, but way out there. If I had to choose I'd go with Bonsall as it's the closest to the beach and civilization, Fallbrook would be my second choice. The rest are too remote and/or lack amenties, but that is a strong point for some.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:13 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,572,215 times
Bonsall would be my first choice too. Nice area and only about 10 miles to the Oceanside beaches.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:22 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,853 times
Brandon, you’re back! And what a coincidence, asking about another of my former areas of residence & employment.

To sum it up, all of these areas used to very, very rural. They all used to be beautiful. All of them used to be reasonably priced. Now all of them are overly developed, crowded & insanely expensive.

Of all of them, I would choose Fallbrook. I had family there. But it ain’t what it used to be.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:34 AM

1,377 posts, read 2,129,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Brandon, you’re back! And what a coincidence, asking about another of my former areas of residence & employment.

To sum it up, all of these areas used to very, very rural. They all used to be beautiful. All of them used to be reasonably priced. Now all of them are overly developed, crowded & insanely expensive.

Of all of them, I would choose Fallbrook. I had family there. But it ain’t what it used to be.
I know I am!

Old 02-08-2018, 10:17 AM

15 posts, read 69,056 times
What about schools in the more rural parts of San Diego county? I haven't been able to find any good options. I'm in mid city and drive downtown to bring the kids to school. I want to get out of the city into more of a rural setting. I've been volunteering at a horse ranch in Valley Center and it's so beautiful out there but too isolated. Anyone have suggestions for rural areas that aren't too isolated with good schools? Home prices under $750k. Bonsall is beautiful but a fortune and the schools come up with very low (4) ratings on greatschools.org. Fallbrook same with schools.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:22 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
I’m sure it’s much more developed by now, but Poway still had a lot of rural areas when I was growing up, and of course they have great schools. Another area I like, which I wasn’t too familiar with until recently, is Granite Hills in El Cajon (unincorporated El Cajon). It reminds me a lot of the aforementioned Poway. I’ve been told the schools are good there, better than the rankings might suggest.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:43 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,640,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I’m sure it’s much more developed by now, but Poway still had a lot of rural areas when I was growing up, and of course they have great schools. Another area I like, which I wasn’t too familiar with until recently, is Granite Hills in El Cajon (unincorporated El Cajon). It reminds me a lot of the aforementioned Poway. I’ve been told the schools are good there, better than the rankings might suggest.
TacoSoup, I agree about Poway. There are still some areas that feel more "rural" tucked in to Poway, especially in the eastern edges, although it might be hard to buy property with acreage in Poway for under $1 million these days.

Granite Hills is also a good suggestion for someone working downtown. Here's an example of what the OP's budget will buy in that area (complete with horse facilities!): SDLookup.com | 510*Burgasia*Path - MLS# 170061869

Next to Granite Hills there is an unincorporated area called Singing Hills/Vista Grande (depending on who you ask) that also has a sort of semi-rural feel and great homes on big lots. Here's an example of a home a little below your budget in that area: SDLookup.com | 1256 Timberpond Dr - MLS# 170059810 - Full Size Pictures

There are also parts of Rancho San Diego (another unincorporated area with an El Cajon address, but not in the city of El Cajon) and Mount Helix (part of La Mesa) that have more spread out properties but yet are still in easy reach of suburban amenities. Very good schools too. And, it's an easy shot from both down the 94 to downtown.

I live in North Jamul. We have a similar feel to Valley Center, but my house is only 18 miles to downtown. There are lots of horses out here, including in my back yard. Parts of Jamul are farther out though and more isolated, so stick with close in Jamul (close to Rancho San Diego) if you want an easy commute.

Here's a couple of examples of what your budget (or less) would buy in my area: SDLookup.com | 2917*Pioneer*Way - MLS# 170051351

SDLookup.com | 3235*Rio*Grande - MLS# 170051909

Lakeside (Eucalyptus Hills), Blossom Valley, and Alpine might also be worth a look, although the last two will be a longer commute to downtown.

Also, while Greatschools is a good starting point, don't rule things out just because of their "ratings." Test scores don't always tell the whole story of how good a match a school (or district) might be for any particular child.

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-09-2018 at 03:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego