Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:05 AM

20 posts, read 88,605 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

Thinking of moving to SD real soon..... have any of you East Coasters made the drive? and if so, can you suggest a route? I was thinkin of taking a real scenic route, I95 South all the way to FL and then I10 West thru the southern states. Always wanted a road trip, and why not now while Im still young ! Has anyone driven this way? Seems wicked long but we think we'd enjoy it.

I am not going to try and find an apt until I secure a job. I dont want to get an apt, and then a job, and then realize I have a 90 minute commute. Does anyone have suggestions as to temporary places to stay, something along the lines of furnished studios or efficiencies? Plus, I want to spend some time looking and researching the different areas before I settle down.

I just feel like while I am still young, why not try something new? My friend and I are tired of getting slammed with this New England snow and rain. Who doesnt want 300+ days of sunshine ??????

I know Southern Cal also has some bad points, but I will never know unless I try!!!

Any suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated. Everyone on here has a lot of important things to share and it is appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 09:24 AM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times
My husband just did the opposite drive from San Diego to Connecticut. Highly recommend getting a GPS. It took him 3 days. He did not go as south as FL though.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:05 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
I would recommend the 70 instead. It goes through the mountain west, colorado, utah, vegas, etc and is very scenic with lots of national parks on the way.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 PM

609 posts, read 2,243,830 times
Depends on the time of the season as well. Summer time would be well worth going through the northern corridor. Maybe camp at Yellowstone, go over Utah (bryce canyon etc.). I think you will have to take 80W but you might be well advised to consult your local AAA to get you some directions.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the advice!

If Im going to do it, it will be by the end of this month, which means I'm going to give my manager my notice tomorrow (friday)

I havent slept in days just thinking about it!!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:01 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
Depends on the time of the season as well. Summer time would be well worth going through the northern corridor. Maybe camp at Yellowstone, go over Utah (bryce canyon etc.). I think you will have to take 80W but you might be well advised to consult your local AAA to get you some directions.
Agreed, the northern corridor is pretty amazing too.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:19 PM

41 posts, read 146,525 times
My wife and I (in our 60's) drove our son's car back to So. Cal. last summer after helping him move from Boston to his dorm in New York.
We took the northern route because we were concerned about hot weird weather, but most depends of what time of the year you travel and be aware of hurricanes and floods.
It took us 6 days and we had a great time doing it.

Welcome to California!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:00 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Oh no! Another Bostonion!

I moved from Boston -> San Diego last June, although I took a flight down and didn't bring much with me.

You could just get a month-to-month lease somewhere, I know a couple of people who were able to find something like that in Clairemont, then move into a better area when you have an opportunity. If you have any other questions or anything, postem here or private message me.

There are a lot of us out here man, taking refuge from the snow.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:48 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Oh no! Another Bostonion!

I moved from Boston -> San Diego last June, although I took a flight down and didn't bring much with me.

You could just get a month-to-month lease somewhere, I know a couple of people who were able to find something like that in Clairemont, then move into a better area when you have an opportunity. If you have any other questions or anything, postem here or private message me.

There are a lot of us out here man, taking refuge from the snow.
Bostonians are everywhere in SD and I just moved here 5 weeks ago from NYC. Last night, I went to this house party (a grown-up one) and 2/3 were from Boston and a couple from Ireland (lol). Even Irish from Ireland knows about SD.

You will do fine here...

Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the advice!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: