Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:46 AM

46 posts, read 120,991 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to San Diego early summer from Michigan.

My husband works in law enforcement. Originally he was offered Yuma Az. or Calexico but we held out for San Diego and got it! Yeah!

Being in law enforcement and ex military, my husband is a bit conservative. Myself being a hairstylist, make up artist, graphic designer etc. I am more liberal. We also have a little one (4yrs old) who is VERY active and loves the outdoors, so we feel San Diego will meet each of our needs and then some!

Michigan's economy is in the pits (as many other states are I'm sure) but we jumped at the chance to get out while we can or should I say if we can! It has been very stressful trying to get the house sold so that we can all be a family again! These miserable Michigan days have taken a toll us. California dreamin' and a lot of sunshine is what we need!

Curious if any one knows anything about the Continental Apts. on Waite St. in La Mesa? It was suggested we rent there. I think because it's gated. Does anyone have any suggestions of where else we should rent? 2 bedroom, $1200 max. I know that in itself may not be realistic but with our house situation we're strapped! I really liked the sounds of Santee area but feel it may be too far North. (Husband will be working South of San Diego.)

Thanks and good luck to everyone moving!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:51 AM

54 posts, read 217,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Quite a few people in this forum are considering a move to San Diego in the near future, and I'm just curious to see where you will be moving here from.

It's simple, just give a quick bio and what you're looking for in this city.
My husband and I (and our almost 3 yr old son) will be moving to San Diego from Western NY. We are looking forward to a change of scenery, climate, beaches, laid back attitudes/slower pace of life, lower taxes, lower utility bill, lots more sunshine, etc!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 AM

330 posts, read 970,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselthedog View Post
My husband and I would like to move to California and people have told me try SD instead of LA. We are looking for a new start, nice weather (No Snow!) Oh and 2 jobs. lol Anyone know what a degree in communications can get you salary wise in the area?
Definitely SD over LA. I would advise you to look above SD also in areas like Carlsbad and Encinitas. You should have plenty of opportunities with a degree in communications. Salary depends on what area of expertise like are more marketing, telecom, or biz oriented. If you're looking to rent or buy, check with a local realtor and ask about foreclosure listings. There are good deals to get and people are begging to negotiate, which is beneficial to you and the seller.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:04 PM

330 posts, read 970,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3 View Post
We will be moving to San Diego early summer from Michigan.

My husband works in law enforcement. Originally he was offered Yuma Az. or Calexico but we held out for San Diego and got it! Yeah!

Being in law enforcement and ex military, my husband is a bit conservative. Myself being a hairstylist, make up artist, graphic designer etc. I am more liberal. We also have a little one (4yrs old) who is VERY active and loves the outdoors, so we feel San Diego will meet each of our needs and then some!

Michigan's economy is in the pits (as many other states are I'm sure) but we jumped at the chance to get out while we can or should I say if we can! It has been very stressful trying to get the house sold so that we can all be a family again! These miserable Michigan days have taken a toll us. California dreamin' and a lot of sunshine is what we need!

Curious if any one knows anything about the Continental Apts. on Waite St. in La Mesa? It was suggested we rent there. I think because it's gated. Does anyone have any suggestions of where else we should rent? 2 bedroom, $1200 max. I know that in itself may not be realistic but with our house situation we're strapped! I really liked the sounds of Santee area but feel it may be too far North. (Husband will be working South of San Diego.)

Thanks and good luck to everyone moving!
Good move on waiting for SD. You would have seriously hated Calexico or Yuma. It's too bad Michigan has gone down the drain. Not all parts, but in general, no thanks to the auto-builders I have family there and there's some nice scenery. As for renting, I would take a trip out, if you can, and see a place in person before moving.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:21 PM

786 posts, read 3,925,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena1852 View Post
My husband and I (and our almost 3 yr old son) will be moving to San Diego from Western NY. We are looking forward to a change of scenery, climate, beaches, laid back attitudes/slower pace of life, lower taxes, lower utility bill, lots more sunshine, etc!
Best wishes to you - my husband and I both grew up in Western NY - you'll find a lot of us out here (we however are moving back East this summer). You can laugh at all the people out here who complain about their "high" utility bills.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:24 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Boring Charlotte region.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:25 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
Best wishes to you - my husband and I both grew up in Western NY - you'll find a lot of us out here (we however are moving back East this summer). You can laugh at all the people out here who complain about their "high" utility bills.
Why are you moving back? We were out there from 1999-2005. Cashed out!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:11 PM

786 posts, read 3,925,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Why are you moving back? We were out there from 1999-2005. Cashed out!
I miss the seasons and my family and my husband got a great job offer. Everyone's happy.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:53 PM

16 posts, read 49,281 times
Hey! Im 18 and planning on moving to SD from PA in the summer! Im so excited!!!
I hate winter
I love the atmosphere
the people
the healthy lifestyles everyone lives
the outdoors
the beach
Its the only place to be!-in my opinion!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:12 PM

38 posts, read 140,187 times
My wife and I might be moving to SD from Vancouver, B.C. We are both working on our nursing degrees so it's still a couple of years off. We are so tired of the 8-9 months of rain here in the PNW. We're planning a trip to San Diego hopefully this June to look at some neighbourhoods and check out the beaches. So far we've been to L.A and O.C. I wasn't really impressed with O.C but then again I only saw a bit of it, seemed more plastic then L.A.We've been to L.A many times and always have a good time, really like Long Beach and Santa Monica. I guess it will depend where we get jobs, however there are is a nursing shortage all over so I think we'll be able to choose from either of the 3 counties.
We're looking from something with a liberal atmosphere, non cookie cutter and hopefully not to far from the beach. We have 2 small kids so schools will also be a concern. Generally I have found that the areas which are always recommended to families are super boring suburbia, which is something we are not interested in. Anyway I have heard great things about San Diego and am very excited to come down and check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego