Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 02:14 PM

26 posts, read 29,440 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into charter fishing for my son (12 yrs old) and myself either in San Diego or in Oceanside. Fresh water fishing. I'm no fisherman, but wanted to see if anyone has done this and has recommendations for a good charter fishing company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 03:24 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Helgren, H&M Landing. It was years and years ago for me, but they're still around, so that says something!

Old 04-04-2017, 03:44 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
It depends on what you want to chase. It also depends on whether either of you get sea sick. This time of year it's mostly inshore rockfish but some 3/4 days got into the smaller yellow tail (jacks) and blue fin tuna. Inshore you can still get into bass and halibut. There are landings in Mission Bay, Shelter Island. I'd avoid OC right now because of the construction and events.

I used to be partial to Seaforth but don't normally ride cattle cars anymore.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:46 PM

26 posts, read 29,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It depends on what you want to chase. It also depends on whether either of you get sea sick. This time of year it's mostly inshore rockfish but some 3/4 days got into the smaller yellow tail (jacks) and blue fin tuna. Inshore you can still get into bass and halibut. There are landings in Mission Bay, Shelter Island. I'd avoid OC right now because of the construction and events.

I used to be partial to Seaforth but don't normally ride cattle cars anymore.
I get sea sick easily, so fishing in relatively calm waters would be ideal! I'm agnostic regarding the type of fish.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:58 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,026,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost87 View Post
I'm looking into charter fishing for my son (12 yrs old) and myself either in San Diego or in Oceanside. Fresh water fishing. I'm no fisherman, but wanted to see if anyone has done this and has recommendations for a good charter fishing company.

You say fresh water fishing but I believe you mean salt water, as in the ocean. I am not sure of any freshwater lake fishing charters. There may be some private guide types, but I am not familiar with any lake fishing charters.

So, in the case of ocean fishing, H&M and Pt Loma Sportfishing will be what you are looking for. I would start off on a half or 3/4 day boat. I believe the Malihini, Producer, or FishermanIII would be good options for boats. If you go on these I would recommend taking dramamine 2 hours prior to departure. It will work. I have been fishing quite a while and spent many months at sea when I was younger. With that being said, I still take dramamine when it is expected to be rough. You don't want to mess up a 100 dollar fishing trip by being seasick.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:12 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost87 View Post
I get sea sick easily, so fishing in relatively calm waters would be ideal! I'm agnostic regarding the type of fish.
Have you ever used a transom mounted outboard before? If so you can rent a skiff and stay in the bay. I'd suggest Mission Bay if you don't really know what you are doing as the big bay has big boats that can sink you or make your day suck. Keep an eye on the swell but it's been pretty lumpy lately. Great for surfing but not for those that get sea sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego