Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 10:45 PM

6 posts, read 32,517 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I will be moving to San Diego area in few weeks and I still don't know if traffic going north on 5/805 is really bad or not. My work will be in Carlsbad and I am looking for a place in Carmel Valley. I am coming from Florida...
Would living in Carlsbad itself be a better choice? I visited nice places there but I am much attracted to live close to San Diego.
Anyone's input is highly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 11:23 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Not bad in the morning bu 5 South traffic is not that good.Esp on Fridays because of all the tourist coming into the county.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:38 AM

264 posts, read 1,390,446 times
If you're going to be working in Carlsbad, consider living in Carlsbad. The traffic isn't too bad heading north weekday mornings, but 5 south is crazy in the mornings, even Saturdays, like the previous poster said, especially on Friday afternoons. Rush hour traffic seems to be really bad earlier, around 3:00pm. The best way to tell if you can handle the traffic is to do it over and over for awhile to see if it grates on you. I would recommend renting (vs. buying) just in case the traffic is too much on a day-to-day basis.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:57 AM

6 posts, read 32,517 times
Thanks everyone! Do you guys think it will be any different in terms of traffic going N to Carlsbad if I will rent a place in Carmel Valley as opposed to UTC? Carmel Valley is quite expensive and not so dynamic I am affraid.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:19 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Given your situation, I choose to live in UTC over Carmel Valley. CV is very nice but also very quiet and suburban. UTC has more restaurants and shopping to choose from (Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc.) The demographics is also younger because of the university and is sorta "yuppie-ish", if that matters.

It's basically, one or two exits south of CV, and I don't think traffic will be any different from there to Carlsbad. You are also closer to La Jolla and the center of San Diego.

Good luck

Old 03-06-2008, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 8,545 times
they are adding lanes to I-5 both N and S bound, not sure when it will open, anybody knows?

Old 03-06-2008, 06:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little View Post
they are adding lanes to I-5 both N and S bound, not sure when it will open, anybody knows?
I think it will be 2+ lane that open in mid 2009 if I'm not mistaken.That whole merge project was not worth one penny.The slowing on 5North is because of the ending carpool lane that turns into a fast lane,and an EXIT ONLY lane at Via De La Valle.It turns a freeway that has like 8 or 9 lanes into 3 in about 3 1/2 miles.Thats why once you pass Lomas Santa Fe Drive it starts to pick up again.As for the 5South there might be a little improvement, but when traffic starts slowing at 815AM on a Saturday I don't know how much they can do.

Here's a tip for those visiting SD from the North on Saturdays in the summer.5 South can slow all the way from past the OC line to Carmel Valley.In 2004 we were stuck in 4PM traffic from Camino Capistrano(SJ Cap in OC) to Del Mar Hts Road and never made it over 50MPH!A 45 min drive took 2 hours and 15 mins.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,993 times
Default Similar situation

I am in a similar situation. I am going to be working in Carlsbad for about two months starting in May. I want to live somewhere where there is a younger crowd and lots to do like restaurants bars etc. I was considering the La Jolla area.... are there any other areas I should be considering.... with the traffic into consideration. I'd be commuting on I-5 N and am willing to spend around 30-45 minutes driving....

Old 12-25-2008, 02:30 PM

233 posts, read 885,595 times
If you want a younger crowd you need to head to PB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego