Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:53 AM

13 posts, read 34,753 times

Advertisements

I'm moving there and was wondering how hard is it to get by without a car? From googling street views it seems like there are sidewalks so maybe getting a bike would help in the meantime while I save up for a car. I am going to be working in the area but it will most likely be part time and I am worried that if I go the cost of living will exceed the means that I can afford.

I also am looking at Mira Mesa College since it will be a couple blocks away from where I will be working. Truthfully I have not yet found a place but am looking for a shared room space. I have a feeling I should stay being that I have a roof that I pay month to month but I cannot do NYC anymore and would rather risk it all by trying it out; is it hard to come by a shared room space for 500-550 a month? And how much is car insurance for a 32 year old annually?

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 11:01 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
Unless you live close to where you'll be working, it's going to hard without a car. This where you need to look for rooms for rent: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/search/roo. Put the amount you can afford to pay in the search box, and see what comes up.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
Keep in mind that Mira Mesa isn't all that close to Mira Mesa College, which is in Encinitas. It's very difficult to live here without a car and it will restrict your ability to go to all the fun places and enjoy what SD has to offer.
NYC and SoCal are different worlds but if you're young you can probably make it happen. Oh, I just noticed that you're 32, not really all that young to be living barely making it, but I can certainly understand why you'd want to get out of New York...been there, done that myself. If you're going to live broke for awhile might as well be here, you'll have plenty of company and it is a happier place.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:44 AM

32 posts, read 38,479 times
Don't move to SD without a job.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:16 AM

13 posts, read 34,753 times
thanks for the advice everybody!

YEs I am actually 29 and without revealing too many details I have a part time job like I stated before. But I am worried, is it worth it, and is it expensive to get liability insurance just for a year? How much is it.

I'm young at heart but am having doubts after reading these posts.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:09 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,600,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyprotagonist View Post
thanks for the advice everybody!

YEs I am actually 29 and without revealing too many details I have a part time job like I stated before. But I am worried, is it worth it, and is it expensive to get liability insurance just for a year? How much is it.

I'm young at heart but am having doubts after reading these posts.
People here with full time work struggle to afford living here, depending on how well or not they get paid.

Listen to your doubts and recheck your possibilities. If you need to just get away from where you are, maybe consider a lower COL place to escape to.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:38 AM

It's impossible to know how much your car insurance would be, I'd suggest calling Geico or Progressive and they can give you some idea or go online.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:56 AM

Everybody gets scared and has doubts before they move or make any major change in their lives...you're at a good age to come here and you do have some income. But you have to want it and be willing to sacrifice, work hard to achieve your goals (sounds like you have some), accept that not everything will go smoothly. Only you can answer if it's worth it...and you won't really know unless you try. You picked one of the most desirable and expensive places in the country to move to:

Old 04-22-2017, 11:38 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times
Have plenty of savings ($15,000), be able to buy a reliable car right away, and have a full-time job lined up.

Expect to pay $750 to share a place.

If you want your own place, expect to spend at least $1500.

Landlords will expect 2-3 times that amount to move in.

You'll need to have a good credit score.

Overall cost of living for a single adult: $40,000 a year, minimum.

Expect that cost to keep going up.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:57 AM

6,508 posts, read 7,543,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Keep in mind that Mira Mesa isn't all that close to Mira Mesa College, which is in Encinitas.
There is Mira Costa College in Oceanside, SD Miramar College which is in Mira Mesa and SD Mesa College which is in Kearny Mesa... but there is no "Mira Mesa College" in Encinitas that I know of. I believe OP is referring to SD Miramar College in Mira Mesa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego