Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:46 AM

6 posts, read 27,932 times

Advertisements

Hi fellow San Diegans! =)
So I moved out here by myself from the east coast in June 07, and still have a hard time settling in, meeting new people and creating a group of friends....which shouldn't be the case because I'm outgoing, fun, personable, open to meet new people everywhere I go....The thing is, is that I'm 27, female, single....and I'm finding that alot of people out here are in boyfriend/girlfriend relationships or married and don't want to go out, way older or younger than me, or have kids. I want for San Diego to be the place that I stay and further my career and have a family in, but I don't want to enjoy everything San Diego has to offer....alone. I'm a fun girl who loves to go out, enjoy the outdoors, loves animals, the beach, music, dancing...all of that!! I just would prefer to share those times with others as well!! Does anyone have any good ideas for meeting new people?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 11:13 AM

490 posts, read 1,555,827 times
Log onto Yelp.com, where all the guys and gals your age are

Old 03-08-2008, 02:17 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
I have been in your position so I can recommend a few options that worked well for me when I lived there.

The San Diego Rotaract is a group for young professionals, they have many different types of social events, they also do community service and it's a great way to make friends and become part of the community. They meet at Kansas City BBQ downtown.

The Rotaract Club of Downtown San Diego

The Jaycees are a similar type of group where you can meet some great people.

Welcome to the San Diego Jaycees! (http://www.sandiegojaycees.org/ClubPortal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1461&pubmenuoptID=15003 - broken link)

Meetin is a national orginazation. I'm not sure how active the San Diego group is, but I have tried it in other cities and there are often fun events going on.

San Diego Events - Fun Events Free Events Make new friends in San Diego, Meet new people in San Diego - MEETin.org

There are also many groups related to interests such as sports, books or anything that you like to do, you can do a google search and usually a bunch of things will come up. San Diego has a lot of transplants from all over the country, many people are looking to make friends, but don't know where to go. I hope this is helpful, I wish you the best.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:45 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
You might also try the Sierra Club since you mentioned the outdoors, they have an office in Northpark.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,973 times
hi,
i am going through the same thing that you are. i moved out here with a friend and she moved back home. im around the same age 26 and ya its hard finding people. it seems like most have there friends and dont like outsiders. anyways, its nice to see that im not the only one here in sd that feels that way. but i think in time it will change
Crystal

Old 03-09-2008, 08:18 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Sounds funny but take the trolley or go Downtown on a Saturday night.You will meet a lot of "interesting/funky" people on the trolley and some that are really nice.I met a young lady on the Blue Line in NC in 2005 and we are still pretty good friends.People get a little crazy on Friday's but on Saturdays about everyone is in a great mood.Sense you like the beach you should hit Belmont with a friend or even by yourself.It's not that hard to make friends or meet someone in SD.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:38 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Go to the 94th. Aero Squadron on Friday nights

Old 03-09-2008, 09:39 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,565,458 times
Check out the Meetup Groups! There are many local ones for people who want to get together with others who have similar interests.

Meetups near San Diego, CA - Meetup.com

Old 03-09-2008, 11:46 PM

254 posts, read 1,183,420 times
It's tougher than it should be, isn't it? I was 23 when I first moved to San Francisco (from Portland, funny enough) and I had a really hard time. Fortunately I moved with a friend, I didn't want to rely on her for everything.

I guess the obvious place to look is work. Is there anyone that you have lunch with, or go to happy hour? I know it's hard to take the first step, but at least you know you have common ground there.

I also have to ditto whoever mentioned Meetup. I've met several mom friends through a meetup site, even though I felt like a total loser for having to make friends online. It's easier when you can use your kid as an excuse. When I move back to San Diego I'm going to join another meetup group asap.

Are you a gym member? My friend always meets girls in her classes at the gym. I prefer to work out solo, but she finds people that she meets for classes.

Also, without knowing anything about you, or anything about San Diego's chapter of the Junior League, that's something that you might want to look into to see if you'd be interested.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:49 PM

6 posts, read 27,932 times
What's the 94th Aero squadron??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego