Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 05:59 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. We'll want to spend some time on the beach,
so which beach would you recommend in North County Coastal that is good for kids,
not too crowded and perhaps good for a beginner surfer (might be interested in surf lessons as well)?
Have you seen this thread from yesterday? It has suggestions for kid friendly beaches, many of which are in North County:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...san-diego.html

Moonlight is a good suggestion (it's in Encinitas). In Carlsbad, Tamarack State Beach and South Ponto are also nice.

There are a couple of businesses in Carlsbad that offer beginner surf lessons. Here's one: http://www.socalsurflessons.com/

Check this site for additional ideas and resources for your visit: https://www.sandiego.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 01:51 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
OP have you looked into Long Island NY at all?

For your budget you could get a sweet house on the water.

Schools are best rated in the nation too.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:48 PM

28 posts, read 39,254 times
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try to stay near Moonlight beach. We plan to go to the zoo, Cabrillo, La Jolla, and just bum around on the beach. How is Stonesteps beach compared to Moonlight beach? Is it better to stay near one over the other?

Old 08-25-2017, 08:03 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
I've been to both and personally prefer Moonlight Beach. It's much more accessible. It has restrooms and showers and lifeguards. It also has a little snack bar (or did the last time I was there). Especially with kids, Moonlight would be my choice.

Stone Steps is more cumbersome to get in and out of because you have to walk down and up many steps to access it (that's how it gets its name). I don't like to sweat leaving the beach but your mileage may vary. And there are no bathrooms on the beach. Plus during high tide, the beach can practically disappear.

Encinitas isn't all that big; these beaches are like 5 minutes apart; you can walk from one to the other. So, if you're staying anywhere in North County, you'll have a chance to try them both (and the many other beaches in the area).

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-25-2017 at 08:14 PM..

Old 08-28-2017, 10:12 AM

Ok so I'm going to try to stay near Moonlight beach. Am I better of staying just of the coaster or just south in the Cardiff area? Thank you!

Old 08-28-2017, 11:04 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
There really aren't a lot of hotels or motels right near the beach in Encinitas or Cardiff...you might have to go south on 101 near Solana Beach, Del Mar or north to Carlsbad, they have some chains inland a bit. Keep in mind, all these towns are relatively close to each other.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:57 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,101 times
Even when driving to Encinitas while on vacation, I found that parking on side streets along the 101, and even in proximity to the area beaches, was pretty easy in this area. Some nice houses to see while walking a few blocks down the street too. I didn't think that the drive in and out took that long either, even on the weekend. It was a fantastic area to visit, and I look forward to going back.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I've been to both and personally prefer Moonlight Beach. It's much more accessible. It has restrooms and showers and lifeguards. It also has a little snack bar (or did the last time I was there). Especially with kids, Moonlight would be my choice.

Stone Steps is more cumbersome to get in and out of because you have to walk down and up many steps to access it (that's how it gets its name). I don't like to sweat leaving the beach but your mileage may vary. And there are no bathrooms on the beach. Plus during high tide, the beach can practically disappear.

Encinitas isn't all that big; these beaches are like 5 minutes apart; you can walk from one to the other. So, if you're staying anywhere in North County, you'll have a chance to try them both (and the many other beaches in the area).
Oh my, Moonlight beach, been a while since I was there. Nice beach.

Liked Carlsbad State beach off the lagoon too, but parking became an issue.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:34 PM

I plan to do a VRBO rental. I noticed most beach rentals do not have air conditioning. Is the ocean breeze cool enough at night to sleep without an AC?

Old 08-28-2017, 05:34 PM

771 posts, read 836,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon View Post
I plan to do a VRBO rental. I noticed most beach rentals do not have air conditioning. Is the ocean breeze cool enough at night to sleep without an AC?
Others will likely disagree but I would not consider a unit without AC, especially during the summer and into perhaps October. The last few summers have been particularly warm and, near the coast especially, humid. Some people don't mind sleeping hot or sweaty but I don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego