Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 12:08 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
And Alexandria is a very cool place to live!
So is San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 03:48 AM

3 posts, read 2,092 times
On the housing budget id say max of $3k/month but I'd be prefer to stay lower than that.

I don't think I will get to travel out there prior to starting, but at the same time they will put me up in a hotel for a month or two if needed.

Old Town Alexandria is a great place to live - a little on the too big/crowded side but lots of restaurants/bars and activities.

I will try to do some research on the towns/parts of SD that you guys mentioned. I really do appreciate it!

Old 07-27-2017, 07:08 AM

771 posts, read 835,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveySpecter View Post
On the housing budget id say max of $3k/month but I'd be prefer to stay lower than that.

I don't think I will get to travel out there prior to starting, but at the same time they will put me up in a hotel for a month or two if needed.

Old Town Alexandria is a great place to live - a little on the too big/crowded side but lots of restaurants/bars and activities.

I will try to do some research on the towns/parts of SD that you guys mentioned. I really do appreciate it!
Congrats on the offer and possible move. Other things equal, I'd pick San Diego over DC in a heartbeat but they are very, VERY different places.

Your new office is far enough inland that you're not going to be able to have a short commute and be walking distance to the beach. If you prioritize the beach, I think the north Pacific Beach area is a good start, maybe bleeding into Bird Rock which is immediately north. Bird Rock is a La Jolla ZIP code, and you will pay a premium. The "main" part of PB centers around the E-W-running Grand and Garnet Aves. Those main parts tend to be oriented toward the 20-something party set, which is why I think north PB is better-suited. Encinitas is also nice and generally geared a bit older. It's definitely further from your new office and I don't know the town as well.

If a 1 BR apartment is all you need, you should be able to get closer to $2K and walkable to the beach in NPB. Bird Rock, I don't think it's as likely to happen. Adding in any combination of more BR, pets, and condo is going to make it harder and/or push up your rent. As LoveAutumn pointed out, rental competition is pretty fierce. If you go to a rental site like Zillow or even Craigslist, a lot of the listings that show are long gone. Realistically, I would plan to be onsite to find and lease your rental. The best ones will be signed within 1-3 days.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:02 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
And Alexandria is a very cool place to live!
And it's hot and humid in the summer, and gets snow, sleet, and ice during the winter.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
They're not beach side, but if your interest is "walkable" and "lots to do", with a $3000 budget you might also check out areas like Kensington, South Park, Hillcrest/Banker's Hill and Little Italy. They'd be within your desired commute time and aren't far from beaches. Just mentioning them as alternatives.

Also, Coronado might be worth a look as an alternative to Encinitas - it's got a great beach and parts are very walkable. Would probably be about a half hour to Kearny Mesa (the area you'll be working), although the bridge can back up at times.

These links might also be helpful in getting the lay of the land about different areas in San Diego County:

https://www.sandiego.org/explore/coastal.aspx

https://www.sandiego.org/explore/downtown-urban.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/user/visitsandiego

San Diego's Best Neighborhoods 2017 - San Diego Magazine - March 2017 - San Diego, California

Old 07-27-2017, 09:52 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Little Italy is another good one, although its not foot steps to the beach.

What you describe screams Birdrock- you get a little bit of the upscale La Jolla elements but some of the Pacific Beach younger going out/party crowd (but you aren't overwhelmed by it). Probably a good area for 30 somethings.

Commute isn't terrible, budget is ideal for a nicer place in that area, its walkable, definitely bikeable and it has nice beach setting- Cove, Birdrock, PB, Mission beach all closeby and very nice beaches.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:12 PM

521 posts, read 733,442 times
Carlsbad Village is also very walkable and I think the most walkable beach city in North County. It has the most restaurants, shops and most beach access locations within the shortest distance. It also has a train station so you can go downtown or to any of the SD Beach areas or even to OC/LA. The Carlsbad village is different in that it is being built up more and has more condos and a denser overall population than the other north county coastal cities, which I prefer but many enjoy the smaller old school vibe. If you want that more laid back beach vibe then I recommend the Encinitas /Cardiff area. I don't know much about La Jolla or Coronado.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:01 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
As others have mentioned, as you look for a walkable, vibrant community, you are going to need to choose between the 30 minute work commute and the beach community.

If the beach is your top goal, and you are willing to tough out a longer than 30 minute commute, I second the North Pacific Beach and Bird Rock recommendations. Ocean Beach is cool too, but even harder to get out of.

If keeping your commute in check while still living in a vibrant, walkable community is your priority, I would expand on Rosie's recommendations. Besides Kensington and South Park, I would suggest University Heights, Mission Hills, and maybe even Normal Heights.

Some of this might depend on where next to Monty Field you are working. If you work on the east side, near I-15, that would put Kensington, Normal Hts and South Park higher on the list. Working on the west side of the field would give greater weight to University Hts and Normal Hts.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:05 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
Carlsbad Village is also very walkable and I think the most walkable beach city in North County. It has the most restaurants, shops and most beach access locations within the shortest distance. It also has a train station so you can go downtown or to any of the SD Beach areas or even to OC/LA. The Carlsbad village is different in that it is being built up more and has more condos and a denser overall population than the other north county coastal cities, which I prefer but many enjoy the smaller old school vibe. If you want that more laid back beach vibe then I recommend the Encinitas /Cardiff area. I don't know much about La Jolla or Coronado.
Carlsbad Village to Kearney Mesa would make for a horrible commute.

I second Bird Rock or Little Italy.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:07 PM

521 posts, read 733,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Carlsbad Village to Kearney Mesa would make for a horrible commute.

I second Bird Rock or Little Italy.

Good point I missed that he's working that far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego