Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2006, 06:43 PM

170 posts, read 473,437 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know much about the Coronado Cays area just south of Coronado? Are the homes there mostle rentals? Is there a huge summer crowd and partying. Is there a big tourist or surfer crowd living there in the summer. It looks like a great place to live, but I fear its all tourists. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 03:40 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarg View Post
Does anybody know much about the Coronado Cays area just south of Coronado? Are the homes there mostle rentals? Is there a huge summer crowd and partying. Is there a big tourist or surfer crowd living there in the summer. It looks like a great place to live, but I fear its all tourists. Thanks.
Its a very expensive private enclave. Most of the properties are owner-occupied. There are little-to-no amenities in the area.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:39 PM
jmc

101 posts, read 862,611 times
Johnmarg, I would agree with Sassberto. I live in Coronado currently, and the Cays seem very pricey and not a tourist/surfer crowd area overall. People can park at the public beach along the Silver Strand (the stretch of road that the Coronado Cays are located on, south of the town of Coronado), however, so possibly the actual beach area might be more of a surfer/party scene, but I don't think the Cays would be that way. I never go to the beach at Silver Strand, but you'd probably see people from Imperial Beach, etc., there. I wouldn't fear the tourists too much in the Cays...I would fear the amount of money it would take to buy a place there.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:07 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Coronado...surfer. No way. That area really stands apart from the rest of San Diego as one of the most exclusive communities in the US. The ammenities there are spartan, however, that's partly what lends to the 1950s beach charm it offers. If you can afford to live there, you pretty much can't go wrong. The traffic over the bridge at rush hour is undesirable, shopping is spartan....but everything else is pretty top notch.

For me, I hate that the bridge drops you into possibly the worst area in San Diego on one side, then the Silver Strand drops you into the seediest beach community on the other (Imperial Beach). I prefer more isolation myself, but I know Coronado is pretty crime free.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:25 PM

170 posts, read 473,437 times
Thanks for the replies. It makes me feel better to possibly buy there if we can afford it. Actually you can get a home there for just under a million now. I think thats pretty good when you figure you have the ocean on both sides very close , no crime and no traffic. Coronado is much more expensive with shacks going for 1.5 million. The homes in the Cays are Spanish style with red tile roofs and 1600 sq st and larger. Sounds great to me.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:14 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarg View Post
Thanks for the replies. It makes me feel better to possibly buy there if we can afford it. Actually you can get a home there for just under a million now. I think thats pretty good when you figure you have the ocean on both sides very close , no crime and no traffic. Coronado is much more expensive with shacks going for 1.5 million. The homes in the Cays are Spanish style with red tile roofs and 1600 sq st and larger. Sounds great to me.
Only drawback is the tiny lots and the basically isolated location between IB and coronado

Old 09-13-2007, 09:50 PM

12 posts, read 55,737 times
I grew up in Coronado in the 50's and 60's. I can remember driving to Imperial Beach along the Strand and passing by the city dump- very stinky with smoke rising from the huge piles of garbage. Low and behold, we were all shocked to learn that the Coronado Cays were being built on top of the city dump in the early 70's (I think) and we all thought who in the world would pay $40,000 to live on top of the old city dump. Well, I guess people are now willing to pay $1,000.000 or more to live on top of the old city dump.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:05 AM

10 posts, read 43,199 times
Hello Johnmarge,
Coronado Cays is an idyllic place to live. We have no crowds, no noise. We live in partnership with the beautiful nature here. Dolphins, beautiful birds and other sea life make this place the best kept secret in the world. I moved here because I wanted a peaceful place to live not far from all the amenities anyone could possibly want. A walk across the street to the beach, a few steps to the San Diego Bay and just 10 minutes to downtown San Diego and all the best restaurants, and 20 minutes to the airport. How many places in the world can you live with all that plus more. Prices of homes start at about $800,000 and go up to $10,0000,000. Moderator cut: real estate agent solicitations are not allowed

Last edited by da jammer; 05-12-2008 at 10:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego