Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 9,682 times

Advertisements

If you had a choice, which would you pick and why? (cost of living aside)

We are a family with young children moving from a suburb of Vancouver Canada, this is a long shot, but, is there anyone who has knowledge of both cities (Van and SD) and can identify differences in the 2 cities, other than the obvious (weather etc.)?

I hope to live close to a "strip" (Like Orange ave) in a smallish community, where I can push a stroller, grab a coffee and just walk at a snails pace enjoying the day. Do you know of a community like this other than the two I listed?

We really love SD and have been many times, but life as a tourist is different than a resident, like anyone, we want to make a good choice. This forum has been very helpful so far!

We value any advice from current and former residents or anyone else for that matter.

Many Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 10:57 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio View Post
If you had a choice, which would you pick and why? (cost of living aside)

We are a family with young children moving from a suburb of Vancouver Canada, this is a long shot, but, is there anyone who has knowledge of both cities (Van and SD) and can identify differences in the 2 cities, other than the obvious (weather etc.)?

I hope to live close to a "strip" (Like Orange ave) in a smallish community, where I can push a stroller, grab a coffee and just walk at a snails pace enjoying the day. Do you know of a community like this other than the two I listed?

We really love SD and have been many times, but life as a tourist is different than a resident, like anyone, we want to make a good choice. This forum has been very helpful so far!

We value any advice from current and former residents or anyone else for that matter.

Many Thanks
I've been to Vancouver a bunch of times, it's one of my favorite places in the world. Basically you are not going to get the Van experience here - Van is really centered around it's dense downtown, San Diego has no true center. You won't find that summertime 'street life' in San Diego like you get in Van (one of my favorite things about Van) and of course we don't have the killer Van skatepark scene either :-)

Anyway, if costs were no object, and commuting were no object, I'd probably choose Coronado because it has more of a 'village' feel and lots of gorgeous historic homes. Coronado is also closer to the core City of SD which is where I prefer to be.

Del Mar is certainly a gorgeous setting but tends to be more modern, less walkable, and more car-oriented. If money were no object I would be buying a Spanish Revival mansion on Coronado before a mid-90's glass n' concrete view home in Del Mar, but that's just my personal fantasy.

Practically speaking, of course, it depends where you work. I work in North County so Del Mar would be a lot easier than commuting on and off Coronado every day. But if I worked in Downtown SD, Coronado would be perfect.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:24 PM

144 posts, read 935,720 times
I would choose Del Mar. Del Mar has a "downtown" area but also a quiet and beautiful residential area above it. The steep hilside with its winding roads that lies above 101 has a great ocean view and mature landscaping galore with huge pines and a range of other big trees that isn't very common in SoCal. It's also quiet up in the hill area and the houses are very nice. Yet, you can take a short walk down to the 101 area and grab a coffee and head to the beach with your dog, whether in December or July. <----something you won't be doing in Canada.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:27 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
When I last lived in San Diego about 7 years ago, Coronado had a nasty smell near the beach. I suppose it's because ocean currents bring raw sewage up from Mexico.

Other than that I'd prefer Coronado, it seemed like a somewhat warmer, more interesting place .... more human, where Del Mar is mostly rich people in their own little worlds.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:36 AM
jmc

101 posts, read 863,018 times
I'm not familiar with that "nasty" smell near the Coronado beach, and I've lived here for close to two years. I may be biased, but I'd choose Coronado over Del Mar, too. Sassberto summed it up well in his above post. Just know that it's insanely expensive here. If money is not an object and you can afford to pay a million for a house, this is the place to be. Our tiny 800 sq ft condo was appraised at over $600k. It's pretty hard to find a detached home under a million. It's a great place, though. Best of luck to you!

Last edited by jmc; 12-26-2006 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: typo :)

Old 01-04-2007, 08:57 PM

20 posts, read 118,204 times
Default ??Smell?

Maybe you were thinking of Imperial Beach? It is a lot closer to the Tijuana slough. Or maybe it was an extremely low tide?
I don't think I've ever noticed an odor to Coronado, it's my favorite beach.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:36 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
I lived in downtown San Diego then, I guess about 8 years ago ..... whichever year it was that people from Wisconsin invaded around New Year's Day, wearing giant plastic cheese wedges on their heads ..... apparently some sort of football ritual.

It may have been one of those winters when rains would cause the sewers to overflow into the ocean at certain beaches, or maybe it was that the treatment of Mexican sewage wasn't as good back then.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:15 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
audio,
dont know van, but i do know SD/Del Mar.

I know the exact place you want to be. I had a condo off of Del Mar Heights road on a street called Carmel Country Rd. On the corner of Dmr Heights Rd and Carmel Country rd is a huge and nice outdoor mall. Its got everything. Starbucks, Vons, gas stations, supercuts, nice restaurants, jamba juice, bank of america, etc.

Take a nice walk on a saturday afternoon and you will see at least 5-10 young people/couples walking with their baby strollers. Lots of scenery, green, amazing weather, about 2 miles from the beach. Everyone is friendly and its a nice place to be, i really enjoyed my time there and will be back next summer for a few months again.

You are also close to the major interstate which takes you only 25 mins without traffic to downtown SD.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:55 PM

3 posts, read 9,682 times
Thank You very much everyone!

We're VERY excited to move and your tips are appreciated! I'm so glad I asked.

There is snow here right now, it's making this move a lot easier

Thanks again!

Old 01-13-2007, 02:30 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Gl, keep us up to date!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego