Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 07:09 AM

9 posts, read 7,351 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I've looked through the forums and seen a lot of great info, but nothing that seems to fit my exact situation. I have a potential job opportunity on Vista Sorrento Pkwy, very close to Miramar. I have been to San Diego twice, but both times I stayed in very specific areas with limited access to the rest of the city. I have stayed at a Pacific Beach AirBNB and at the La Jolla Marriott.

Currently, my husband and I make about $250K combined, but I would be taking a 20K paycut to move to SD (He can work remotely). We own two homes (we rent one) and plan to sell the one we live in and continue to rent out the other.

I am trying to decide whether to live close to work, and if so, where....or live somewhere else and commute. We would like to be close to restaurants and bars. Beach proximity would be lovely but not a necessity. We have a dog, so a fenced yard is a bigger deal but I understand that may not be possible.

I'm looking for 2 bed, 2 bath at a minimum, 1100+ sq ft, for $2500 or less. Is there a chance of finding this? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 08:01 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresa View Post
Hey all, I've looked through the forums and seen a lot of great info, but nothing that seems to fit my exact situation. I have a potential job opportunity on Vista Sorrento Pkwy, very close to Miramar. I have been to San Diego twice, but both times I stayed in very specific areas with limited access to the rest of the city. I have stayed at a Pacific Beach AirBNB and at the La Jolla Marriott.

Currently, my husband and I make about $250K combined, but I would be taking a 20K paycut to move to SD (He can work remotely). We own two homes (we rent one) and plan to sell the one we live in and continue to rent out the other.

I am trying to decide whether to live close to work, and if so, where....or live somewhere else and commute. We would like to be close to restaurants and bars. Beach proximity would be lovely but not a necessity. We have a dog, so a fenced yard is a bigger deal but I understand that may not be possible.

I'm looking for 2 bed, 2 bath at a minimum, 1100+ sq ft, for $2500 or less. Is there a chance of finding this? Thanks in advance!
Yes. Best bet is to hop onto Zillow and start scrolling. Do you plan on renting or buying?

Yard might be a stretch - unfortunately it can be a sacrifice here.

Clairemont/Morena/Mission Bay Park Area - I would say fits the budget, might find a yard in that range too, has restaurant bar life close by in the beach areas and even La Jolla and is fairly close to where you would work.

If you can stretch the budget North County Coastal areas are nicer.

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 08-07-2017 at 08:10 AM..

Old 08-07-2017, 12:43 PM

264 posts, read 250,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
If you can stretch the budget North County Coastal areas are nicer.

I wouldn't recommend any farther north than Del Mar or Solana Beach unless you plan to take the Coaster (train) and get a shuttle to your office building.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
I wouldn't recommend any farther north than Del Mar or Solana Beach unless you plan to take the Coaster (train) and get a shuttle to your office building.
You can do much worse to Sorrento Valley.

Encinitas to Sorrento Valley isn't terrible drive wise. Its bad in the Summer because of activity at the Fair grounds. I simply wouldn't recommend a lot of Coastal No. County because there is very little value at 2/2 for $2500 a month, you aren't looking at very good places (dated units, trashed, no yard, no parking). Your 2500 is going to a location.

As far as driving the 5 isn't great but you want to avoid the 805 at all costs.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:42 PM

9 posts, read 7,351 times
These are the kinds of nuggets of info I need. Thanks much all.

Quote:
You can do much worse to Sorrento Valley.

Encinitas to Sorrento Valley isn't terrible drive wise. Its bad in the Summer because of activity at the Fair grounds. I simply wouldn't recommend a lot of Coastal No. County because there is very little value at 2/2 for $2500 a month, you aren't looking at very good places (dated units, trashed, no yard, no parking). Your 2500 is going to a location.

As far as driving the 5 isn't great but you want to avoid the 805 at all costs.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:59 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
The hardest part of the equation will probably be finding rentals that accepts dogs. Since a lot of landlords don't allow dogs, that will eliminate some options, so you may have to cast a wider net in your search.

Extra "pet rent" fees are common for dogs as well. Typical "pet fees" are $75 to $150 a month above rent, so if you want to stay within budget, you may want to start by looking a little below your maximum budget.

If you go to a site like Zillow.com or Apartment.com, you can set the search parameters to only include results that allow pets. On Zillow.com, you do this by choosing rental search, then under the More pull down menu, then check the pets allowed box. Unfortunately, it will not sort out apartments that allow cats from those that allow dogs. But, when you open the listing, scroll down to the "Facts and Figures" box for the listing, where it will tell you some details about what type of pets are allowed, and the size of dogs allowed.

The smaller your dog, the more rental options you'll have in your price range.

Also, if you want a rental with a yard, you'll probably find more options closer to your price range a little inland from the coast in places like Tierrasanta, Mira Mesa, Rancho Penasquitos, etc. It may be a trade off between a little longer commute and keeping fido happy.

If you'll be renting something without a yard, it might be helpful to also check out where off leash dog parks are located in the county in order to make sure your apartment is close to at least one. Here are a couple of good resources to may help with that:

https://www.bringfido.com/attraction...n_diego_ca_us/

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=dog...an+Diego%2C+CA

San Diego's best dog parks - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-07-2017 at 02:27 PM..

Old 08-07-2017, 02:15 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
What are your age range? It would matter where you might fit in especially if you are looking for nightlife.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
What are your age range? It would matter where you might fit in especially if you are looking for nightlife.
Maybe sum that up with the following (and all around Sorrento Valley):

Bar/Restaurant Scene
Upscale- La Jolla
Dive- Morena and Clairemont
Younger/Party- Pacific Beach
Nothing- Mira Mesa
Commercial Chains and Tourists- Mission Valley

Don't quote me I don't go out much.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:19 PM

250 posts, read 182,097 times
This is interesting; I'm moving from San Diego to Northern Virginia.

There are good places to rent in Scripps Ranch/Carmel Mountain/Poway/Rancho Bernardo. Nice places to rent in the Sorrento Valley are very expensive, and will most likely be way over $2500 a month.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:34 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Maybe sum that up with the following (and all around Sorrento Valley):

Bar/Restaurant Scene
Upscale- La Jolla
Dive- Morena and Clairemont
Younger/Party- Pacific Beach
Nothing- Mira Mesa
Commercial Chains and Tourists- Mission Valley

Don't quote me I don't go out much.
Great little summary!

I wouldn't say Mira Mesa has nothing. There are some very good Asian (Vietnamese, Korean, Dim Sum) and Indian restaurants in Mira Mesa.

But bars/nightlife..."nothing special" probably sums it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego