Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:30 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Apparently, Nebraska (where you live according to your profile) is also starting to have a dramatic increase in flu cases, so perhaps your relatives and friends "in the area" here should also be sad for you.

Nebraska Facing Tough Flu Season

Of course, Nebraska and California aren't alone. It's already "widespread" in 21 states, and growing in others.

States With High Levels of Doctor Visits Due to Flu Symptoms

It all, apparently, started in Australia.

Australia? Maybe. With our ability to fly to almost any spot on the Globe who knows where? However any terrorist with just a smidgeon of imagination realizes how vulnerable our Southern border is to infiltration by harmful people/materials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 11:49 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Some of that works. My sister in law had cancer and had surgery. Then they wanted her on chemotherapy. She went to a Natropathic doctor with a safe treatment and at the last check at the doctors she was clear of any cancer. Time of course will tell but it was admitted the treatment worked.
This kind of anecdote isn't very helpful. A certain number of people with early-stage tumors are "cured" by surgery alone. Chemo and radiation are often recommended as, in effect, insurance to make recurrence less likely. However, a significant number won't have a recurrence even without chemo/radiation. Others will relapse without the follow-up treatment.

The problem is that no one knows ahead of time which group they will be in. I had cancer twice, had two surgeries, and chose to get chemo afterwards. Was the chemo really necessary? I have no idea. I do know that neither cancer has come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Ask all the dead people how their chemo and radiation worked out. Read the obits. Half of them say something like, "S/he fought a long and valiant battle with cancer..."
There is nothing, I repeat nothing, that will cure every cancer. Not surgery, not chemo, not radiation, not herbs, not juicing, not veganism, not miracle drugs in Mexican clinics. Many, MANY people are cured of cancer by various means. Many are not cured, but live quite a number of years longer with the cancer under control for most of that time. Others die of cancer rapidly, whether they pursued a conventional treatment or alternative treatment or both or neither. If you believe that all the people who die of cancer would be alive and cancer-free today if they'd just bypassed chemo and gone for the juicing, you are 100% wrong. Sorry.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:18 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I took care of young and old people on ventilators that died from influenza through out my career. I remember one 30 something male that died. It just baffles me why some die and others don't. I remember being so sick in my 20's and 30's from flu. There were no flu shots back then.

I had a fever on Christmas Eve and I suspect a mild case of the flu. I was over it quicker then I was this killer cold I had back in September and I didn't get a flu shot this year. Maybe those severe flu's I had in my younger years did something for my immune system? I don't know. I do know that I'm glad I'm not working in pediatrics during RSV season anymore. That was far worse for me then the flu. Talk about a miserable upper respiratory virus.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:26 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
The emergency room at UCLA Medical Center in Santa Monica typically treats about 140 patients a day, but at least one day this week had more than 200 patients — mostly because of the flu, said the ER’s medical director, Dr. Wally Ghurabi.

“The Northridge earthquake was the last time we saw over 200 patients,” Ghurabi said.

Severe flu brings medicine shortages, packed ERs and a rising death toll in California - LA Times

Old 01-05-2018, 06:46 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The emergency room at UCLA Medical Center in Santa Monica typically treats about 140 patients a day, but at least one day this week had more than 200 patients — mostly because of the flu, said the ER’s medical director, Dr. Wally Ghurabi.

“The Northridge earthquake was the last time we saw over 200 patients,” Ghurabi said.

Severe flu brings medicine shortages, packed ERs and a rising death toll in California - LA Times
Excellent article.

Some other relevant quotes:

Most people in California and nationwide are catching a strain of influenza known as H3N2, which the flu vaccine typically doesn’t work as well against. National health officials predict the vaccine might only be about 32% effective this year, which could be contributing to the high number of people falling ill.

H3N2 is also a particularly dangerous strain of the flu, experts say.

“It tends to cause more deaths and more hospitalizations than the other strains,” said Dr. Jeffrey Gunzenhauser, L.A. County’s interim health officer.

In Los Angeles County, 33 people have died of the flu this season and only a handful were under 65, Gunzenhauser said.

The second snippet is particularly interesting - LA county has had only 33 deaths compared to SD county's 45 despite having over 3 times the population and more crowding than SD. But then again, LA jobs (real ones, not part time/min wage jobs) are more plentiful per capita and tend to pay more with similar housing costs so I would think there's less people working multiple jobs or working themselves to the bone to avoid losing their jobs in SD than LA.

note: LA county also has many more seniors (over 65) than SD county - approx 1.3 million vs approx 440,000 for SD. Percentage wise, it's 12.9% for LA co vs. 13.4% for SD co.

Last edited by GSR13; 01-05-2018 at 07:02 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 07:06 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Australia? Maybe. With our ability to fly to almost any spot on the Globe who knows where? However any terrorist with just a smidgeon of imagination realizes how vulnerable our Southern border is to infiltration by harmful people/materials.
Ah, that explains everything. The flu outbreak is just another ISIS/illegals plot. no doubt spread with lasers, just like the wildfires. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-05-2018 at 08:00 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 08:36 PM

987 posts, read 779,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Excellent article.

Some other relevant quotes:

Most people in California and nationwide are catching a strain of influenza known as H3N2, which the flu vaccine typically doesn’t work as well against. National health officials predict the vaccine might only be about 32% effective this year, which could be contributing to the high number of people falling ill.

H3N2 is also a particularly dangerous strain of the flu, experts say.

“It tends to cause more deaths and more hospitalizations than the other strains,” said Dr. Jeffrey Gunzenhauser, L.A. County’s interim health officer.

In Los Angeles County, 33 people have died of the flu this season and only a handful were under 65, Gunzenhauser said.

The second snippet is particularly interesting - LA county has had only 33 deaths compared to SD county's 45 despite having over 3 times the population and more crowding than SD. But then again, LA jobs (real ones, not part time/min wage jobs) are more plentiful per capita and tend to pay more with similar housing costs so I would think there's less people working multiple jobs or working themselves to the bone to avoid losing their jobs in SD than LA.

note: LA county also has many more seniors (over 65) than SD county - approx 1.3 million vs approx 440,000 for SD. Percentage wise, it's 12.9% for LA co vs. 13.4% for SD co.

Add the 2-4 hours most people living in Mexico and working in San Diego travel using mass transit to get to their jobs from TJ to wherever in San Diego that they work. Using mass transit is like being in a school classroom but probably worse and add the zero-dark thirty 3 am or earlier to cross that border to ride mass transit to work those 2 or 3 jobs

Old 01-05-2018, 08:49 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Australia had a record flu season during its last winter (our summer).

Old 01-10-2018, 12:23 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times
I had it, one of the worst since I was a child. The worst part was the aches and pains any existing chronic pain you had like for me my back was off the chart. Ate lots of vitamin c guzzled theraflu and got lots if liquids. That was hard as well as eating. Fever was constantly rising and falling.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This kind of anecdote isn't very helpful. A certain number of people with early-stage tumors are "cured" by surgery alone. Chemo and radiation are often recommended as, in effect, insurance to make recurrence less likely. However, a significant number won't have a recurrence even without chemo/radiation. Others will relapse without the follow-up treatment.

The problem is that no one knows ahead of time which group they will be in. I had cancer twice, had two surgeries, and chose to get chemo afterwards. Was the chemo really necessary? I have no idea. I do know that neither cancer has come back.

There is nothing, I repeat nothing, that will cure every cancer. Not surgery, not chemo, not radiation, not herbs, not juicing, not veganism, not miracle drugs in Mexican clinics. Many, MANY people are cured of cancer by various means. Many are not cured, but live quite a number of years longer with the cancer under control for most of that time. Others die of cancer rapidly, whether they pursued a conventional treatment or alternative treatment or both or neither. If you believe that all the people who die of cancer would be alive and cancer-free today if they'd just bypassed chemo and gone for the juicing, you are 100% wrong. Sorry.
True and any example given is just a case that went the way it did. I generally avoid homeopathic treatments, but in my sister in laws case it wasn't an early cancer. Did it help, better or worse than chemo, who knows. I figure if I ever get cancer I will have at least 2 other doctors confirm it and do a lot of research on any and all treatments. I believe it was just on the news about a doctor saying his patients had cancer and selling a lot of drugs and treatments and ........... he lied. Rare yes, but I would take no chances. No easy solution.

However when it comes to the flue, a shot is NOT a cure or a guarantee of avoidance, so with or without a shot, people need to be very careful during the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego