Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 03:04 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Not sure what you mean regarding veiled racism. This lack of consideration is found in every neighborhood regardless of ethnicity/culture. Regarding “racism”, I spent my entire life in SoCal, in mixed ethnic neighborhoods, mixed ethnic relationships, mixed ethnic schools, employed in multiethnic work environments. The topic at hand has to do with respect & consideration for others.

HOAs are a recent phenomenon. They did not used to be necessary to promote neighborhood pride. They further polarize neighborhoods, & emphasize haves from have-nots & reinforce the stigma of “ghetto” neighborhoods.

Also, we did not live in a “lower socioeconomic area”, it was firmly middle-class, long-time residents. It became blighted with the sub-prime, stated-income mortgages of over a decade ago, and the ensuing greed. Then there was the crash, and due to the years of fallout from that, the neighborhood never recovered or returned to its former state.
Good point. It really does separate the haves and have-nots, and every new construction of housing in SD is going the HOA route it seems, so it has really created this sort of divide in our communities.

HOA can be great if you're a person that doesn't have a hobby (working on cars, like to ride jet skis, hauls lumber, basically anyone who is not blue collar and doesn't like to have a bunch stuff for play.

But they are such PITA's, it's pretty much like living in a nanny community where they tell you what to do and how to live and you're paying for it which is the worst part.

I'll take a nice old-school neighborhood any day over some fancy schmancy nosy HOA gated compound where you can get called on just for planting a tree if your front yard without permission.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:03 AM

14 posts, read 24,010 times
Hi everyone, and thanks for your comments. I talked to one of my neighbors that has been living in this neighborhood since they built it. This is a neighborhood created in the 80s mainly for military personnel. Houses at that time were going for around 80k, so a lot of the first owners already paid off their mortgages and have purchased another house somewhere else, and are now renting their houses. We have seen some of the owners leave and rent their houses. Anyway, back to my neighbor he told me that besides the rentals we have some neighbors on Section 8. We discussed calling the owners to let them know about their tenants behavior. We also discussed creating a cellphone chain between some of us so that we can make organized calls to the police when noise gets crazy. He said that in his experience it takes 3 calls from different neighbors and to start calling 3 hours before you want the music to stop.

Although I liked these ideas, this would only cover the line of houses across the street but I still have a bunch of party houses behind my house. And the real problem still persists, which is that the neighborhood is starting to degrade and nobody can stop this.

So we met with our realtor yesterday and it seems we will move forward with moving to a different neighborhood, very likely Eastlake. I was told by my realtor that they are pretty strict with noises and stuff like that and most houses have an HOA which is a concept that I hated in the past but I am attracted to now. This is really hurting my feelings because I have put a lot of time and investments in my house, almost remodeled completely with my own hands and time, and leaving this behind is really difficult for me as I always thought this was our dream house, but it's obvious we can't keep living in an environment like this.

Will continue updating re. situation with the loud parties/live music/mexican bands.

A couple more comments:

I forgot to add that I am a person that I am very involved in this community and I participate in different community meetings in which we discuss problems, funding, etc. and I have brought up this issue about the noise a few times and even discussed this with the police that attend these meetings and the response is that citizens need to report these issues as soon as possible however the police department has a shortage of resources so these complaints may take longer to resolve than others.

A couple of people are making references to low socioeconomic class and lack of jobs, etc..FYI houses in my neighborhood average $500K and from all the neighbors we know they all have a job.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:13 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingtiredofsb View Post
Hi everyone, and thanks for your comments. I talked to one of my neighbors that has been living in this neighborhood since they built it. This is a neighborhood created in the 80s mainly for military personnel. Houses at that time were going for around 80k, so a lot of the first owners already paid off their mortgages and have purchased another house somewhere else, and are now renting their houses. We have seen some of the owners leave and rent their houses. Anyway, back to my neighbor he told me that besides the rentals we have some neighbors on Section 8. We discussed calling the owners to let them know about their tenants behavior. We also discussed creating a cellphone chain between some of us so that we can make organized calls to the police when noise gets crazy. He said that in his experience it takes 3 calls from different neighbors and to start calling 3 hours before you want the music to stop.

Although I liked these ideas, this would only cover the line of houses across the street but I still have a bunch of party houses behind my house. And the real problem still persists, which is that the neighborhood is starting to degrade and nobody can stop this.

So we met with our realtor yesterday and it seems we will move forward with moving to a different neighborhood, very likely Eastlake. I was told by my realtor that they are pretty strict with noises and stuff like that and most houses have an HOA which is a concept that I hated in the past but I am attracted to now. This is really hurting my feelings because I have put a lot of time and investments in my house, almost remodeled completely with my own hands and time, and leaving this behind is really difficult for me as I always thought this was our dream house, but it's obvious we can't keep living in an environment like this.

Will continue updating re. situation with the loud parties/live music/mexican bands.

A couple more comments:

I forgot to add that I am a person that I am very involved in this community and I participate in different community meetings in which we discuss problems, funding, etc. and I have brought up this issue about the noise a few times and even discussed this with the police that attend these meetings and the response is that citizens need to report these issues as soon as possible however the police department has a shortage of resources so these complaints may take longer to resolve than others.

A couple of people are making references to low socioeconomic class and lack of jobs, etc..FYI houses in my neighborhood average $500K and from all the neighbors we know they all have a job.

Are these people that are your neighbors, and have a job, part of the problem? If not there are a few things you can do. See if you can apply for permit parking. Then, create a next door page and distribute it to all your neighbors. Personally, I'd try this route before being forced out of my hood. You can also talk to your PD and see if they have a volunteer watch program like SDPD does.

Where my mom lives in Clairemont we took these steps to drive out the partiers using Lindbergh park as a venue for their live bands, loud music, and gang activity every weekend. Every Monday morning the place was trashed with busted pinatas still hanging and bottles/cans and food trash strewn all over all the tables and grass. The kicker was the drive by shooting that killed an innocent girl there. Thank goodness that is all rear view mirror stuff now. The thing is these people were coming up from S Bay and weren't even locals!

Old 02-06-2018, 09:07 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I feel horrible for you OP. It reminds me of NYC. I used to take a boat horn and blow it outside the offenders apartment door the morning after such events, or I would ring their door buzzer from the lobby until it woke them up, then do it again and again.
Love this! There's also the old, trip their main breaker than put a cheap padlock on their box trick There is absolutely nothing in the world funnier than listening to the self-centered jackwads running around, shrieking that they're going to kill whoever did it. Keep the lights out and the laughter low, and they'll have an apoplectic stroke out there.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:15 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Good point. It really does separate the haves and have-nots, and every new construction of housing in SD is going the HOA route it seems, so it has really created this sort of divide in our communities.
Precisely because of behavior like the OP describes.

An HOA is just a legal entity. It's run by people. Some people are totalitarians, or martinets, or petty little D-bags who love to measure grass with a micrometer and then gleefully issue a fine. But they really aren't the problem... the problem is the people who vote them in and keep re-electing them. The biggest problems are those who love to complain but never attend meetings, vote, volunteer on a committee, or God forbid run for an office themselves!

I own a condo that's in an HOA. When I lived there, I made a point of attending as many meetings as I could. I knew all of the Board members and spoke out on important issues. Sure, I could have found something more exciting to do with my time. But out of two hundred-someodd units, there were maybe a dozen people who showed up with any regularity. Most attended one meeting, the one where they were called to explain why they felt a need to have loud parties or park in someone else's spot or had a long-term leak that caved in their lower neighbor's ceiling. None ever wanted to take any responsibility, and all wanted someone else to pick up the tab. I always loved the reading of the cases (no unit numbers or owner names) of units that were getting liens placed against them for failure to pay dues or costs they incurred. It was nice knowing that the annoying D-bags were going to wind up paying no matter what. And that helped to keep the annoying D-baggery to a minimum, and life wasn't so bad.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:42 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Are these people that are your neighbors, and have a job, part of the problem? If not there are a few things you can do. See if you can apply for permit parking. Then, create a next door page and distribute it to all your neighbors. Personally, I'd try this route before being forced out of my hood. You can also talk to your PD and see if they have a volunteer watch program like SDPD does.
Good suggestions, 1AngryTaxpayer.

Nestor is within the City of San Diego. So they are covered by SDPD. That may be part of the problem with the lack of response. I think the only SDPD police sub-station in that part of the City is in Otay Mesa and the area is pretty spread out.

It really stinks that the OP is having to deal with this and feels like he has no choice but to move. I've always liked Nestor, so it is sad to hear that it is going downhill. It seems to me that it has always been sort of ignored by the city of San Diego. Kind of like "out of sight, out of mind."

That said, to the OP: I think you'll find Eastern Chula Vista/EastLake and the other areas there more to your liking. As I said earlier, if you want to stay closer to home, you might also take a look at Imperial Beach. It's always interesting to me how when you cross over into the City of Imperial Beach how rapidly the atmosphere changes, so maybe there are some neighborhoods there that might work for you too.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-06-2018 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. These are all good ideas.

Yes, we do have a Nextdoor group, for which I am a Nextdoor community leader.

Yes, we do have a neighborhood watch program that I expressed interest on, however I had difficulties finding interested neighbors, although I know if I insist I would definitely find a nice group of people.

We do have our own police substation located in 13th street, it's the Southern Division of SDPD.

Having said this, and because of a variety of reasons, I think it makes sense for us to move, it's a good step financially speaking, it's a good step for the kids so that they have a better environment (closer to nature), better schools, and we always liked Eastlake and enjoy spending time there. Also, as I said, I've always been involved with the community and I have been in previous situations like this, and I just ran out of energies to deal with these problems, I shouldn't be dealing with this, it's not easy to change this situation and I would rather spend my energies somewhere else.

Thanks RosieSD and everyone else for the good thoughts.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:52 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
People want to be around other like minded people. This is not racism or class-ism, its human nature. Go move to the kind of area you want to live. Unfortunately its hard to do that in a high cost area but you have the freedom to do it at least. There is a reason why the party zone is cheap housing and the quiet areas are expensive.... its more desirable to live in a quiet area if you have a career and a family.

As for the people who say this is everywhere, well no it isn't. Some places enforce nuisance ordinances, some don't. Make sure where you are moving to does enforce it, whether is HOA or police.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:07 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Some places enforce nuisance ordinances, some don't. Make sure where you are moving to does enforce it, whether is HOA or police.
We should make a list of places that Do and Don't enforce it. I think some people will find it valuable.

Just for the record my area in Encinitas is usually pretty quiet but all it takes is one person working in their garage or someone with dogs to ruin the peace. I've got a neighbor who I can hear watching TV and talking nonsense on the porch. * In quiet areas noise travels even further. It's all about the people IMO....crappy people = crappy living conditions. The thing is not all people living in crappy areas are bad people, most aren't.

It is a story of the haves and the have nots and peer pressure. SAD, especially when the local Govt can fine you for just about anything but cannot seem to keep a lid on....THE PEACE.

Organize, Divide, and Conquer !

Old 02-06-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
We should make a list of places that Do and Don't enforce it. I think some people will find it valuable.
You know what? I think this is the best idea ever! Absolutely!

I am pretty sure if this list was accurate and complete and became popular among San Diegans, cities wouldn't want to be in the list and they would probably start enforcing the laws.

Great point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego