Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 9,303 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first post!

I've found a lot of information on the web on moving to TX from CA/SD but was wondering if there were any folks who could share their experience moving to SD from TX? How was the transition? Pros? Cons? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 04:10 PM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx View Post
Hi, this is my first post!

I've found a lot of information on the web on moving to TX from CA/SD but was wondering if there were any folks who could share their experience moving to SD from TX? How was the transition? Pros? Cons? Thanks!
I'm from South/Central Texas, I moved out here to SD at 21 and before moving here I lived still with my parents. I am 36 now so I've lived most of my adult years in SD so it's hard for me to compare living there versus here since I was pretty dependent the entire time I lived there. But I still go back quite often actually.

For me specifically, moving to California was dream come true. It was great to be out of Texas, even now looking back it was one of the best decisions I ever made as life has treated me personally pretty well.

To answer your question in a way that's helpful, what stage in life are you, are you a young wanderer like I was 15 years ago or are you older and more settled in life and what part of Texas are you moving from? We all know there is great variations by region I El Paso VS Texarkana VS Austin.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:47 PM

Hey, thanks for the response! I have a family with 4 kids. We are in the Austin area and we really like how family friendly it is here. But feel drawn to the west coast. I know the cost of living is higher, but wanted to get a sense of what the lifestyle is like in SD for families. Also are people fairly ‘neighborly’ ? That’s also one thing we love about Texas.

Thanks

Old 06-06-2018, 07:53 PM

50,274 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the response! I have a family with 4 kids. We are in the Austin area and we really like how family friendly it is here. But feel drawn to the west coast. I know the cost of living is higher, but wanted to get a sense of what the lifestyle is like in SD for families. Also are people fairly ‘neighborly’ ? That’s also one thing we love about Texas.

Thanks
Pick an area that is all single family homes and you'll be fine.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:23 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,772 times
Quote:
I have a family with 4 kids. We are in the Austin area and we really like how family friendly it is here. But feel drawn to the west coast. I know the cost of living is higher, but wanted to get a sense of what the lifestyle is like in SD for families.
Of all the major Texas cities, Austin would most closely resemble San Diego, sans the heat and humidity.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:17 PM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:

Thanks
It's a great place to raise a family if you have the financial means to make it here. My wife and I are raising four of our own and we think its a fantastic and safe place to raise kids especially if you are into the outdoors. If ‘neighborly’ is what you are after, I would say Texas wins that one hands down compared to San Diego. People here are nice enough on the surface, but I don't think people will go out of there way to make you feel welcome here. Most neighbors here keep to themselves and it really depends on the type of neighborhood you live in that will determine how friendly people are.

I'll throw another anecdote out there, when your driving on a rural road in SD County and you pass someone and you give them the steering wheel wave, you get nothing in return. Rural Texas, you will get a response 90% of the time... if that even can be use as a gauge to how neighborly people are.

I agree with Default that of all the cities in Texas, Austin seems more on par with San Diego as far as culture and personality. Not considering financial circumstances and careers, I wholeheartedly recommend living here over Texas.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:15 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,231 times
Also consider that some of the seemingly "family home" area have all but become vacation rentals in some areas...not all, but some. Oceanside and Carlsbad neighborhoods that used to be families have changed over to rentals because people couldn't afford to stay there. It's sad, but it has happened.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
It's a great place to raise a family if you have the financial means to make it here. My wife and I are raising four of our own and we think its a fantastic and safe place to raise kids especially if you are into the outdoors. If ‘neighborly’ is what you are after, I would say Texas wins that one hands down compared to San Diego. People here are nice enough on the surface, but I don't think people will go out of there way to make you feel welcome here. Most neighbors here keep to themselves and it really depends on the type of neighborhood you live in that will determine how friendly people are.

I'll throw another anecdote out there, when your driving on a rural road in SD County and you pass someone and you give them the steering wheel wave, you get nothing in return. Rural Texas, you will get a response 90% of the time... if that even can be use as a gauge to how neighborly people are.

I agree with Default that of all the cities in Texas, Austin seems more on par with San Diego as far as culture and personality. Not considering financial circumstances and careers, I wholeheartedly recommend living here over Texas.
Thanks for the info!

Texas is a very friendly place. Would you say that people in SD are for the most part friendly as well, but perhaps, just take more time to get to know? Or are they, generally, not interested to building friendships with neighbors/people in the community?

Obviously I'm generalizing here. There are jerks in TX as I'm sure there are super friendly people in SD.

We love to be outdoors. We take every opportunity to get outside here. However, in the Summer, if you are not by some body of water it can be challenging to enjoy being outside! Camping is a favorite activity of ours and while there are many great campsites and lakes here, there is a small window of time throughout the year where you can camp without freezing or sweating to death! This is one of the draws to the SD area is the access to nature year round.

Thanks again for the input.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info!

Texas is a very friendly place. Would you say that people in SD are for the most part friendly as well, but perhaps, just take more time to get to know? Or are they, generally, not interested to building friendships with neighbors/people in the community?

Obviously I'm generalizing here. There are jerks in TX as I'm sure there are super friendly people in SD.

We love to be outdoors. We take every opportunity to get outside here. However, in the Summer, if you are not by some body of water it can be challenging to enjoy being outside! Camping is a favorite activity of ours and while there are many great campsites and lakes here, there is a small window of time throughout the year where you can camp without freezing or sweating to death! This is one of the draws to the SD area is the access to nature year round.

Thanks again for the input.
Moved from TX once (moved out of CA three times and back twice) to CA.

Neighbors have always been "friendly" but you actually do not get to know them as they spend time indoors of somewhere else. You see there car come in and out of a garage and that is about it. Last time I moved back to SoCal I visited every neighbor on my block. Got to know 1 a bit, waved at 2 and rarely saw any of the others and none came by my house when I first moved in. I have moved all over SoCal and this was typical in every neighborhood after the early 60's.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:03 PM

5,740 posts, read 4,697,306 times
Depends on the neighborhood. I have 3 kids and live on a cul-de-sac. Of the 10 homes on our street, 6 of them have kids. We get together often in the street, play basketball, cocktails, etc... We also have a large carpool to the school every morning and afternoon that the moms run.

San Diego can be everything you're looking for... if you can afford to live in the right place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego