Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 12:16 PM

485 posts, read 324,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
Lol. I’ll never get used to it. It’s definitely “Wife”

Thanks. I wasn’t a fan of Escondido, my wife just fell in love with a house there so we checked it out. The budget is 900k or so but we have wildly different tastes. I want location and 4 walls and a roof. She wants the fancy stuff.
I moved from Denver to SoCal back in 2005 and I still miss Colorado (especially RAIN and thunderstorms).

I don't particularly like Escondido myself and I don't care for La Mesa either. Being from Colorado, they both feel hot to me.

If your budget is 900k I'd consider places closer to the coast. Carlsbad, maybe?

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M22842-32137

This house seems nice and its $825k. Open house today so go check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 12:54 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
La Mesa, way better than Escondido, for all the reasons. I'd also check out some of the homes on Mt. Helix. Some of those properties have amazing views, very quiet, and the right place can fit the budget (though it's likely to need work, mostly older homes, pay special attention to electrical, some of the older ones still have the two-prong no-ground-wire outlets and/or aluminum wiring, both no-goes in my book).
Watch your Tongue Default
There's nothing wrong with a little shock every now and tnen

Old 06-13-2018, 02:29 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,048,329 times
OP, your post statements kind of surprise me because Denver actually has hotter! summers than San Diego does (of course SD's official weather station is at the airport--not a hot part of town.) But still, it's not like you're moving to Las Vegas or Phoenix-haha. I'd consider San Diego's "heat" as basically a non-issue (speaking as a person who lived there many years.) I found Denver summers much LESS comfortable than SD's summers (you'll fall in love with SD's sea breeze, which kicks in around 11am in the summer and feels heavenly.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:24 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
OP, your post statements kind of surprise me because Denver actually has hotter! summers than San Diego does (of course SD's official weather station is at the airport--not a hot part of town.) But still, it's not like you're moving to Las Vegas or Phoenix-haha. I'd consider San Diego's "heat" as basically a non-issue (speaking as a person who lived there many years.) I found Denver summers much LESS comfortable than SD's summers (you'll fall in love with SD's sea breeze, which kicks in around 11am in the summer and feels heavenly.
That's what i always thought. Isn't Denver regularly in the 90s in summer? As someone mentioned, inland SD isn't as bad as people think. There will be some hot days in summer, but ten times as often, you'll be enjoying 78 degree Sunshine while the coast is socked in at 64. We moved to Scripps Ranch a few years ago and much prefer the weather here. Lower humidity, cool nights, and way nicer days about ninety percent of the year than at the coast.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:18 AM

242 posts, read 251,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
That's what i always thought. Isn't Denver regularly in the 90s in summer? As someone mentioned, inland SD isn't as bad as people think. There will be some hot days in summer, but ten times as often, you'll be enjoying 78 degree Sunshine while the coast is socked in at 64. We moved to Scripps Ranch a few years ago and much prefer the weather here. Lower humidity, cool nights, and way nicer days about ninety percent of the year than at the coast.
Yea I suppose I’m just bitter about having to move away from Denver. Ha

Old 06-14-2018, 01:40 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Yea I suppose I’m just bitter about having to move away from Denver. Ha
I couldn't wait to get out. Denver has some extreme weather. I bet you'll love it here.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:46 PM

242 posts, read 251,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I couldn't wait to get out. Denver has some extreme weather. I bet you'll love it here.
I’m huge into winter sports and I like being able to drive 2 hours and be nowhere so I’ll miss it a lot. All that said I feel like I’ll find something to enjoy here.

The guy told me a few things I find a little concerning.

- Pretty much every house in the area has termites?

- Foundation problems are common on homes built on clay towards the coast

- He also said stay away from OB and IB due to toxic waters coming off the river?

Old 06-14-2018, 03:33 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
I’m huge into winter sports and I like being able to drive 2 hours and be nowhere so I’ll miss it a lot. All that said I feel like I’ll find something to enjoy here.

- He also said stay away from OB and IB due to toxic waters coming off the river?
You'll still be able to be in snow in an hour and Big Bear ski lift isn't that far. Yes, every dwelling has termites. I wouldn't worry about the water.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:52 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:

My friends went snowboarding last weekend at mammoth, which is about 6-7 hours away. Two years ago I believe they stayed open year round. The closest skiing is 2 1/2 hours from the beach. Don’t worry you can drive less than 2 hours from here and get lost in a mountain forest, or desert.

Termites are slow eaters, preventative measures, with occasional maintenance, will keep them in check.

Foundation problems, while not unheard of, aren’t as common people will make you believe. The only people I’ve ever known, or knew of, that had foundation issues were on cliffs/canyons. I’ve known more that live on cliffs/canyons that never had any problems. Still do your due diligence.

Unless you surf regularly in IB, I wouldn’t worry about the water. I’ve been in it more days than not most my life and have never gotten sick, and I’m always out after rain storms too. Maybe my immune system has just seen it all?

Good luck.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:18 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Watch your Tongue Default
There's nothing wrong with a little shock every now and tnen
What are you saying Hitman? That at your age, a little bit of defibrillation can't hurt now and then?

For best results, get the Dick Cheney(c) Model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego